Author Topic: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins  (Read 36848 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The lead-up to the 2018 midterms begins
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2018, 08:55:33 pm »
And Putin fucked that up by inviting Trump to Russia.  On purpose mind.

Ironbite-because what Putin wants is a very divided America and a Blue Wave will give that to him.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2018, 10:46:23 pm »
Between financial deregulation, tax cuts, and tariffs (the retaliatory ones disproportionately targeting vulnerable House Republicans), the crash is coming. It's just a matter of whether it comes before or after November.

The "strength" right now is completely fake. It's a bubble, like the dot-com bubble or the housing market in 2006-2007 (when Trump said it was a great time to start a mortgage company).

EDIT: https://scholar.harvard.edu/levitsky/files/1.1linz.pdf

As Linz noted, the apparent stability of the US political system is actually a dangerous rigidity hiding turbulent instability, leaving it unable to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:49:29 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2018, 12:22:01 am »
Meaning when the bubble bursts the people most hurt will be...oh, that's darling, it'll be the people in red states who seem to be benefiting at present the most. I have to wonder just what kind of number this is gonna do on Trump's supporters? I mean, considering belief in him is an opiate to these masses, and they were on copious amounts of opiates to begin with...
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2018, 12:23:47 am »
Meaning when the bubble bursts the people most hurt will be...oh, that's darling, it'll be the people in red states who seem to be benefiting at present the most. I have to wonder just what kind of number this is gonna do on Trump's supporters? I mean, considering belief in him is an opiate to these masses, and they were on copious amounts of opiates to begin with...

Don't worry, they'll vote Republican again because Democrats are God-hating, gay-loving, gun-stealing, abortion-forcing big-city-types who don't know jack shit about real 'Murica.

EDIT: How to argue against Trump's economy.

That's wage changes in real terms. Take note that it was already bad with Obama's economic policies in place, though wages were recovering. However, notice the substantial drop (as wages were increasing in real terms, though still well below their 2006 levels) at Q1 2018--right when the GOP tax bill came into effect, giving the rich and corporations massive tax cuts and everyone else little to nothing, particularly punishing Democratic-leaning states for wanting to provide things for their residents by removing the SALT deduction (up here, I've always heard that conservatives hated double taxation, though that they don't was made clear when a bunch of conservatives conned people into killing a provincial value-added tax and forced my province to revert to a sales tax that gets heaped on at every step of the supply chain and amounts to paying tax on tax--oh, and put the provincial government another billion or so dollars in the hole because they were required to repay a federal transfer that they had received in exchange for switching from the sales tax to the value-added one) and effectively being reparations to the rich for the "crime" of the New Deal.

But once those tax cuts came into effect and this really did become the Trump/Ryan economy... that change-in-real-wages statistic dropped significantly.

Those tax "cuts" did not help regular people. Regular people, as always, got shafted.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:11:59 am by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2018, 02:51:38 am »
And considering Trump's (lack of) action on the Opioid crisis, combined with how hard this'll hit the "always vote Republican" types...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2018, 03:34:29 am »
And considering Trump's (lack of) action on the Opioid crisis, combined with how hard this'll hit the "always vote Republican" types...

God, guns, gays, and babies.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:04 am »
I don't mean whether they'll turn over a new electoral leaf. I mean, we might see a lot of Trump's more blue collar supporters shuffle off the earthly coil.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 04:26:21 am »
I don't mean whether they'll turn over a new electoral leaf. I mean, we might see a lot of Trump's more blue collar supporters shuffle off the earthly coil.

Not before the midterms, but there is some speculation that the Senate hasn't acted on the opioid crisis to any great extent because McConnell doesn't want to give Manchin, McCaskill, and Donnelly something they can call a win.

If I were the Democrats, I'd be screaming from the rooftops that the Republicans are blocking action on opioids.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2018, 04:40:09 am »
So the economy won't devour those idiotic hicks alive before they're allowed to vote again...

At least in as far as things going wrong for the Republicans, we always have our cartoonish President spouting off, Sacha Baron Cohen making utter fools out of sitting and previously sitting officials, and the fruits of Mueller.

And the history that shows an unpopular President is oft doomed to see one or both Houses of Congress flee from the grips of his Party at midterm time.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 12:39:14 pm »

Not before the midterms, but there is some speculation that the Senate hasn't acted on the opioid crisis to any great extent because McConnell doesn't want to give Manchin, McCaskill, and Donnelly something they can call a win.

If I were the Democrats, I'd be screaming from the rooftops that the Republicans are blocking action on opioids.

If you were the democrats, the GOP would have a super majority right now.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 03:52:47 pm »

Because I can read policy polls?

I've also heard speculation that Trump is trying to start a war with Iran because he saw that Bush was able to break the pattern by getting the public whipped up into a patriotic war frenzy.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 04:11:50 pm »
The difference being that Bush had 9/11 whip up the whole country into a patriotic frenzy. And nearly 80 percent approval. They probably could've justified attacking any country as long as they mentioned 9/11 Osama bin laden, al queada or WMDs. Trump doesn't have that like at all.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 04:58:27 pm »
The difference being that Bush had 9/11 whip up the whole country into a patriotic frenzy. And nearly 80 percent approval. They probably could've justified attacking any country as long as they mentioned 9/11 Osama bin laden, al queada or WMDs. Trump doesn't have that like at all.

Exactly. He wants to do what Bush did--start a war, get everyone behind him--but he's too incompetent to draw a line between Iran and something that Americans really do care about.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2018, 03:25:38 am »

You don't know that at all. If we're going to play super divisive democrat infighting then "your side" (and judging from your posts thats pretty pro-Hillary Clinton) then "your side" being in charge and not having a good strategy led to the current administration and everything they have been doing.

By this point I'm rather sick of division but I can be a bitch about politics too if I'm in a foul mood.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2018, 03:32:00 am »
Oh by all means we should operate more closely, but I would daresay it is more the province of Our Revolution and their friends such as The Young Turks and the like to put candidates through rigorous purity testing, and if they took the wrong money from the wrong people, then they are not True Progressives and not worthy of trust.

I've lost count how many hit files I've seen go up on the TYT youtube channel...