Author Topic: Fark Picks Wrong Victim  (Read 2056 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Fark Picks Wrong Victim
« on: August 08, 2015, 04:18:15 pm »
OK, so Fark.com is infamous for weird news, to the extent that they have "Florida" as a category.  (And we deserve it, too.  Florida crazy is a very special brand of WTF.)  But then, they insulted Lakeland-based grocery chain Publix.  This did not go over well.

But then, anyone who refers to Publix as "the Wal-Mart of the South" deserves whatever mockery they get.  We're talking a near-Trader-Joe's level grocery-store chain here, not the damn Piggly-Wiggly.  (Yes, non-USians, there is an actual grocery store chain called Piggly-Wiggly.  I did not make it up.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 11:25:11 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Fark Picks Wrong Victim
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 09:54:59 am »
So was the other one.  Protip: don't use quotation marks.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 10:03:49 am »
I don't think I've ever seen people get so bent out of shape for the sake of a freaking supermarket chain. Ah well, I guess Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can't have all of the rabid fanboys now can they?

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 11:27:12 am »
Fixed the links.  (It's been way too long since I used BBCode--I was thinking in HTML.)

And...Art, comparing any place to Wal-Mart is kind of an insult, but it's really weird to compare a middle-class grocery store with a working-class discount store.

I'd use a good analogy, but I'm not familiar with Aussie chain stores.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 11:53:33 am »
I'm not saying it's a valid comparison. I've never shopped at either place and probably never will, so I haven't the foggiest how accurate that is. I'm just a little amused at how angry some of those commenters are over their favourite grocery store being insulted. It's a bit like the supermarket equivalent of the console wars.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »
I'm not saying it's a valid comparison. I've never shopped at either place and probably never will, so I haven't the foggiest how accurate that is. I'm just a little amused at how angry some of those commenters are over their favourite grocery store being insulted. It's a bit like the supermarket equivalent of the console wars.

Whenever someone mentions "console wars," I'm reminded of this Yahtzee quote:

Speaking as a person who is white enough to afford all the consoles, this is probably the most balanced generation of all time, with it all coming down to what you personally want from the console. The Wii is an excitable little yappy bastard, good with children, but a little exhausting. The PS3 is the big, dependable black monster, slow, but lovingly bringing in your slippers every morning. And the 360 is just a good all-rounder that only occasionally pisses itself and dies.

But anyway, yeah, I can't see the issue beyond the fact that the store was compared to Wal-Mart. I mean, there's one grocery chain I prefer to others, but that's only because one of their stores happens to be the closest grocery store to where I live. I'd undoubtedly prefer another chain if it had the closest store.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 01:36:30 pm »

That and it's not like the site even attacked them, just the person who made the headline most of the commentors didn't agree  That's like blaming a whole message board because one of their members said something stupid (which would be every message board).