Author Topic: Tattoo artist banned from Career Day  (Read 4269 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Tattoo artist banned from Career Day
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:28:24 pm »
http://wtvr.com/2012/11/05/tattoo-artist-banned-from-career-day/#ooid=EweXBuNjr29sNlZmDhfMe-tD-7KbZ8cp

A Florida father says he practices a legitimate business and has every right to share his experience at his daughter’s middle school career day. But some parents at the school said they did not want a tattoo artist sharing what they call, his “alternative lifestyle” with their kids.

Smith was told by the principal at Clearwater Fundamental Middle School he’s not allowed to participate in career day in two weeks, even though he’s participated the past two years.

In his email the school principal says some parents complained and feel Smith is promoting an alternative lifestyle.

Smith, who is licensed to run his shop wrote this email back, saying he actually discourages students from getting tattoos before they turn 18. Still, the principal, who admits to having tattoos and piercings himself, says his decision is not personal but politically correct.

Smith also tries to school students on how getting tattoos and piercings is similar to a surgical procedure and talks for the need for sterilizations to prevent the spread of diseases like hepatitis and HIV.

Smith doesn’t think tattooing is looked at as a legitimate career, but just like a doctor or a lawyer he has long term clients.

“This is an art. And that’s just it. I make a living,” he said.

The career day is a part of a program called the Great American Teach-In. The school district says it stands behind the principal’s decision.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 11:59:52 pm by TGRwulf »
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

Re: Tattoo artist band from Career Day
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »
You may want to take a second look at the thread title.

Offline ThunderWulf

• The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Tattoo artist banned from Career Day
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:00:02 am »
LOL.  Thank you.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:30 am »
I like how a few parents get to decide what is considered an "alternative lifestyle."  If you want to look at it that way, any lifestyle is an alternative lifestyle, since most people don't live the exact same way.  Wouldn't a doctor be having an "alternative lifestyle" to that of a farmer?  What if someone demanded certain scientists to not attend because they promote an "alternative lifestyle" to one strictly following Christian belief?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:21:46 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:00:58 am »
This almost makes me want to have children. I don't really plan on tattoos (not for a while, at least), though I imagine "bassist in a death metal band who's also an outspoken liberal/atheist" will have whatever's left of the mentality shitting itself in fear.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:40 am »
I found this offensive, largely because I had to come to terms with that kind of thinking before myself.
One could argue that getting a tattoo is living an "alternative lifestyle" however, the person who does the job of injecting that tattoo is just a business professional rendering a service that some people seek. When I worked for a gambling company I had to learn that I was just a professional rendering a service, and not the cause of people with gambling problems and that I could not take responsibility for other peoples actions.

Further I think having more varied parents at career day would help the children to understand more about how the world works.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:10:16 am »
Further I think having more varied parents at career day would help the children to understand more about how the world works.

That may well be what the principal was most afraid of.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:49 am »
Alternative lifestyle...

That is all.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 08:48:46 am »

As much as I dislike the PTA at my kids' school, this is exactly why I'm heavily involved.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »
Important to be involved in your school. It helps stop people who think there is a problem where there isn't be stopped.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ThunderWulf

• The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 01:45:14 pm »
On top of all the arguments everyone else has made, it also really gets me because he had been allowed to participate in previous years.  It's not like this was something new or anything the school decided to include out of nowhere.  It strikes me as people acting like little kids because not everybody likes the same things they do.
a.k.a. TGRwulf

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »
I really hate it when parents try to shelter their children from fucking everything. Good luck when they move out of the house.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 06:50:24 pm »
...HE'S BEEN DOING THIS THE PAST 2 YEARS!  WHERE WERE YOU IDIOTS THEN!?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 06:59:51 am »
...HE'S BEEN DOING THIS THE PAST 2 YEARS!  WHERE WERE YOU IDIOTS THEN!?

Likely explanations:

a) New people have joined the PTA as their kids enter the school and these new people got him banned from career day. (If they were the first to raise this issue.)

b) If this issue had been brought up before and the majority had no problems with him then perhaps some of the more tolerant members have left the PTA and that is why the PTA changed their mind.

c) The parents that raised the stink now had merely not known about this since they hadn't really been paying attention to what happens at the school. Perhaps they only found out about him now.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!