Author Topic: The "Tiger Mom" disease.  (Read 4693 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
The "Tiger Mom" disease.
« on: April 13, 2014, 11:56:02 pm »
I'm gonna brutally honest here, I think tiger moms are horrible people.  This is likely personal since I have learning disabilities that make it hard enough on me to complete schoolwork.  Day to day assignments can be a constant struggle to where merely getting a C (passing grade) can take a lot of effort.  So when I hear of some psychotic bitch freaking out on their kids for getting one A minus, my urge to blow something up increases drastically. 

It's especially infuriating knowing that cunts like Amy Chua will never see themselves as going to far.  In her book, she mentions everyone (including her own kids), telling them that she's making their life a living hell.  Yet, like the arrogant bitch that she is, she just ignores everyone's objections because in her mind, she's the fucking martyr. 

So when I see this clip from ABC's "What Would You Do", I get intriqued.  The show reinacted something out of Chua's book at a restaurant (for those who don't watch the show, they take paid actors to act out a situation (like domestic abuse) to see how every day people react).  In this case, this awesome older woman tore into the tiger mom after she told the daughter that she wasn't going to eat for her A minus. 

Then I read the youtube comments...  RAGE!!!!!!!!!

his mother didn't go far enough!  An A isn't even good enough! It had to be an A+  And I am NOT Asian!  And if ANYONE came over to "help" my child, I'd have all of them arrested!  They should mind their own damned business!  And I got a beat down when I got an A instead of an A+ from BOTH my parents!  

And this person got a thumbs up!!!!!!!

And there's other comments of a similar nature (ie: "my mother said worse to me growing up").  But the most infuriating are those who accuse the show makers of racism.  HEY DUMBASSES!!! THIS SHIT IS BASED ON A REAL BOOK WRITTEN BY A REAL CRAZY LADY!!! HOW IS IT FUCKING RACIST TO POINT THIS OUT?!!!!

And it reminded me of all the defenses people use to justify this evil.  Some tell me the WSJ misinterpreted her by taking an excerpt out of her book.  This ignores the fact that she still commited all those horrors.  Some also say she regrets some of her methods, but from what I hear, she still stands by a good chunk of her parenting and still stands by her "western parents are wimps" comments (speaking of racism...). 

Then you got the faux PC types who think that because it's part of some foreign culture, we should respect that.  Never mind the fact that it's FUCKING CHILD ABUSE, defending cultural sensitivities is apparently a bigger concern. 

I could go on and on, but it just makes me so mad that such obvious child abuse is being excused for such bullshit reasons.  When are people going to realize that this kind of parenting is HARMFUL AND NOT FUCKING OKAY!!!!

(yeah, you can tell this is a berserk button for me)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: The "Tiger Mom" disease.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:19 am »
Actually, China's starting to abandon the "Tiger Parenting" mentality.  Considering how traditionalist Chinese culture is, that really says something.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:15:30 am »
I don't get why you needed to clarify that you hated tiger moms, that's like saying 'I hate people who dig up corpses from the cemetery and leave them on the front steps of the nearest preschool."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:23:04 am by I am lizard »

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:22:21 am »
Tiger Mom, meet Poacher Dad. Wave to Tiger Mom, Poacher Dad!

...could you put the gun down first, Poacher Dad?
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 03:15:30 am »
My father would scream at me louder than that woman (although never in public) and it didn't help me at all. I terrified of having homework. I don't understand why people think something is okay because their parents did it to them and they "turned out okay. Obviously you didn't bitch or you wouldn't think forcing a child to miss meals is okay.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:23 am »
Could someone please explain what the "tiger mom" thing is?
I assume it means overly zealous Asian mother who demands only the very best from their children. However, I think I need some clarification. Where does a phrase like "tiger mom" even come from?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:48:44 am »
I don't understand why people think something is okay because their parents did it to them and they "turned out okay.

I really fucking hate that line too.  It's such stupid logic.   For example, I've known several people who were hit by cars and are now perfectly fine.  Therefore it's ok to hit someone with your car. 

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:11:25 pm »
I assume it means overly zealous Asian mother who demands only the very best from their children. However, I think I need some clarification. Where does a phrase like "tiger mom" even come from?

Don't know, but it seemed to give a rise in popularity with Chua's book "Battle Hymm of the Tiger Mother".  I'd guess it has to do with tiger moms being "fierce" like tigers.  (with "fierce" meaning militant nutcases who won't listen to reason). 

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:18:42 pm »

I'm not entirely sure where the term originated, but it refers to the kind of "parents" (and no, not just Asian ones, black folks and us crackers are equally capable of such horrific shit) who abuse their children when they don't excel at everything ever.  We're not talking about a harsh word or two, we're talking psychological, and at times physical, abuse directed towards children when they don't ace an assignment.  They cultivate an environment of fear, and damage their children's minds for the sake of nothing more than their own pathetic, worthless egos.  I find the fact that none of these abusive fuckers has been found brutally murdered by their own children to be, quite frankly, amazing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:08:36 pm »
We're very good at hiding bodies.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:49 am »

What bodies?  I eat my victims, bones and all.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 01:18:18 pm »

I didn't know you were a T. rex.

How do you type with those tiny little arms?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:25:26 pm »

I didn't know you were a T. rex.

How do you type with those tiny little arms?
Umm, just Bcus u eat yer prey bones and all doesn't make u a trex.
#KNOWYOURMAMMALPRIVELAGE

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
And now Ms. Tiger-Poop has a new book where she has some weird bigoted ideas. I realize now that she (and her husband) are little more than trolls.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/15/3937463/authors-some-groups-are-pre-wired.html

HERE'S A COUPLE OF RESPONSE VIDEOS:

YOUNG TURKS
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQlgG6d0rO0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQlgG6d0rO0</a>

(This one is in Taiwanese but it has subtitles. Apologies to a certain famous ogre.)
TROLL MOM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-nTtJSmOg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-nTtJSmOg</a>

Funny how Tiger-Poop & her spouse are amongst the "superior bunch".
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:20:45 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »
I believe Cracked columnist Christina Hsu did an excellent job of explaining why the "tiger mom" mentality is bullshit.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19026_5-reasons-parenting-one-place-we-shouldnt-imitate-china.html