Author Topic: Elder Scrolls MMO  (Read 5449 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Elder Scrolls MMO
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »
Bethesda will very soon be giving the world its first look at an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Called Elder Scrolls Online, and apparently set "several hundred years before" any previous game in the franchise that includes blockbusters like Skyrim and Oblivion, Tom's says it will feature three playable factions, each represented by the crest of a lion, dragon and "bird of prey".

The report also says that after its May debut Elder Scolls Online will then be shown off more extensively at E3, with a further appearance at Quakecon 2012, where it will take centre stage alongside Doom 4.

http://kotaku.com/5893780/elder-scrolls-mmo-to-be-unveiled-in-may

This could be the best thing ever if executed properly.  There is certianly enough races and classes in the ES lore to keep things interesting.  I can't wait!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:29:41 pm by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Elder Scrolls MMO
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:47 pm »
And the nerds are already raging.

Delicious nerd tears...

...Wait what am I saying?  This stuff is crap compared to fundie tears :-/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:41:41 pm »
Another one jumps on the MMO bandwagon...
Though with TES, it might actually work.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »
Hey, I'm looking forward to this! Sign me up, as long as I can still play my Argonians!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »
Fuck yeah!  Give me an axe, point me toward something to kill, and I'll find a way!  If it used the Skyrim combat mechanics and has the same freedom of movement...it could easily be something to put hot coals under Guild Wars 2's heels.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »
Fuck yeah!  Give me an axe, point me toward something to kill, and I'll find a way!  If it used the Skyrim combat mechanics and has the same freedom of movement...it could easily be something to put hot coals under Guild Wars 2's heels.

That's precisely why there's so much nerd rage about this - they're afraid that it's going to do that.

As for me, as long as Destruction magic is a worthwhile investment, and as long as Argonians are playable, I'm happy with it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:19:46 pm »
what's the whining over Skyrim combat mechanics? I like them.  I liked Oblivion's, too.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »
They want to spend 5 minutes clicking on a Cliff Racer until they get lucky enough rolls to kill it :D

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »
Damn you, Zacky.  I had a lengthy rant about Morrowind's shit combat mechanics, and you went and summed it all up in one sentence!  Course, I've also probably bitched far too much about it...in my defense, that was the single most irritating part of the whole game.

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 03:14:18 pm »
This will be awesome.  Although it will probably go the route of many other MMO's and it will be several expansions before all of Tamriel is available.
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »
This will be awesome.  Although it will probably go the route of many other MMO's and it will be several expansions before all of Tamriel is available.

Of course. Why sell you one game with everything with they can break it into 4 parts and sell it to you piece by piece for the price you should have paid for the whole thing?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:00 pm »

Of course. Why sell you one game with everything with they can break it into 4 parts and sell it to you piece by piece for the price you should have paid for the whole thing?

To the TES series' credit, when you can sink 100 hours plus into one game pretty much without trying and not even completing the main quest, that's a fuckton of replay value.

Formerly Priestling

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »
I hope they put the level of development into Bard and Merchant classes as they do combat, to become a rich skilled Bard, Blacksmith, Merchant, or whatever would be awesome.

I never played the Old Star Wars MMO that just closed recently but my college roommate had a merchant character besides just his Jedi Character.  And I remember seeing dancer characters and whatever when he was playing that were not NPC's.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:08 pm »
Aye.  It should really take a leaf from Ultima Online's book, and have a lot of skill variety, while having no real, fixed classes.  Like in TES, you gain skill in UO by going out and practicing.  Wanna be a lumberjack (or do extra damage with an axe)?  Go "chop down" (they never actually disappear) some trees.  Wanna make some awesome plate armor?  Go and mine yourself some ore, smelt it, and practice til ya can.

Ultima Online is the only MMO I've ever played that allowed you to spend weeks on end in-game...and never see a lick of combat, unless you wanted to.  Shit, you can go out and just fish, if you want to.  That is the depth that so many MMOs seem to lack nowadays...it doesn't always have to be about fighting.

In fact, UO has entirely player-run towns.  People role-play as guards, merchants, officials...they set up their own laws and regulations, I've even seen player-run towns that have taxes and taxmen.  If TES Online could let players do that, that would be truly epic.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:37:31 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
Aye.  It should really take a leaf from Ultima Online's book, and have a lot of skill variety, while having no real, fixed classes.  Like in TES, you gain skill in UO by going out and practicing.  Wanna be a lumberjack (or do extra damage with an axe)?  Go "chop down" (they never actually disappear) some trees.  Wanna make some awesome plate armor?  Go and mine yourself some ore, smelt it, and practice til ya can.

Ultima Online is the only MMO I've ever played that allowed you to spend weeks on end in-game...and never see a lick of combat, unless you wanted to.  Shit, you can go out and just fish, if you want to.  That is the depth that so many MMOs seem to lack nowadays...it doesn't always have to be about fighting.

An Elder Scrolls MMO needs to have that level of detail.

That and it needs a lot of guilds and factions, rival and overlapping guilds.  If you join one merch guild, you can't join a rival unless you leave the first.  Or if you're in the dark brotherhood, you have to make sure you no one knows because other guilds/factions will remove you/and be hostile towards you.