Author Topic: Xbox 360 could be banned from US  (Read 5219 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Xbox 360 could be banned from US
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:11:32 pm »
Motorola Mobility had previously claimed that Microsoft's Xbox 360 infringed on five of its patents, including video decoding and wi-fi technology from the company.

Last month, a judge agreed that Microsoft has infringed on four of these patents, meaning that if the commission agrees with the judge when it meets in August, Motorola Mobility will have the chance to block imports of Xbox 360 hardware from entering the U.S.

Judge David Shaw has now added his own thoughts to the case, recommending that the 4GB and 250GB versions of the Xbox 360 S console should be banned from sale in the U.S., reports Courthouse News.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/170822/Motorola_lawsuit_judge_recommends_Xbox_360_S_sales_ban_in_US.php

I could only imagine the backlash and rage that would ensue if this actually happens.  Though personally I would love to see it get banned as this would throw patents and copyrights back into the spotlight and hopefully have a new heavyweight throwing money around to try and get patent/copyright laws changed.....but this is probably only a dream. 
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Saturn500

Re: Xbox 360 could be banned from US
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »
Copy-pasted from my topic about this in the Entertainment & Television board (feel free to lock that topic, admins, I simply didn't notice this one)

In my opinion, the only Xbox 360 exclusives(or, at least, that are exclusives in America) that are worthwhile are:
1. Akai Katana Shin (Other arcade ports by CAVE as well, though plenty have to be imported from Europe),
2. Tales of Vesperia (though it got an Updated Rerelease on the PS3 in Japan, Microsoft has an exclusivity contract on it over here),
3. Treasure's Updated Rereleases on XBLA,
4. Deadly Premonition,
5. The Stop-n-Swop enabled versions of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, and possibly
6. Fez if you can get past the... special personality of it's creator.

So, far fewer good exclusives than the other systems, so, not much of a big loss for those who don't already have one (I'm sure people who do have one will get to keep theirs), although the games I listed are quite spectacular.

As an aside, notice how none of what I count among the worthwhile exclusives seem to be first-party titles.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 02:38:46 pm »
Since I own a 360 I'd be a  pissed at this. If they also block Live then the reaction will be several times worse. Especially since me and my friend can't meet in person often but play only games frequently. I imagine Anonymous will do something should the ban happen. It's right up there alley.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:51:48 pm »
There's an evil part of me that wishes to grab some popcorn and settle in for a good show.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
This would seriously impact Microsoft's business practices... they'd lose so much cash they'd make JP Morgan look like chumps.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »
There's an evil part of me that wishes to grab some popcorn and settle in for a good show.

Legitimate drama is still drama after all.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »
I hope not.  I dont even own a 360 but this could really hurt.  Hope it doesnt get banned in Germany also

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:27:09 pm »
What right does Microsoft have to use someone else's patents without paying for them? If you sell a lot of units before anyone notices, that makes it okay?

A ban isn't the best solution, since it could screw over a lot of consumers who did nothing wrong, but there ought to be a monetary settlement at least.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:50 pm »
What right does Microsoft have to use someone else's patents without paying for them? If you sell a lot of units before anyone notices, that makes it okay?

I don't think anyone in this thread said or even implied that.

Just that a ban is a stupid move.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »
A ban isn't the best solution, since it could screw over a lot of consumers who did nothing wrong, but there ought to be a monetary settlement at least.

My guess is that this is what will happen. No ban, just paying Motorola for the use of the patent, and maybe a punitive fine
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Saturn500

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »

My guess is that this is what will happen. No ban, just paying Motorola for the use of the patent, and maybe a punitive fine

^This

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 05:42:42 pm »
Aye, make Microsoft pay for its mistakes, not the consumers.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:47:08 pm »
I love it when the big boys maim one another.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 08:12:14 pm »
I wonder to what extent Microsoft was really aware of the patents during XBox development. It seems so easy these days for a lot of high tech technology to be developed independently and wind up treading on patents the inventor wasn’t even aware of.
-A Pen Name

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 08:46:41 pm »
I wonder to what extent Microsoft was really aware of the patents during XBox development. It seems so easy these days for a lot of high tech technology to be developed independently and wind up treading on patents the inventor wasn’t even aware of.

I've wondered that a lot. (Not just with respect to this incident, but in general.) I suspect it was an accidental patent infringement, especially since it took Motorolla several years to notice!
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg