Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 842911 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #4245 on: January 28, 2017, 01:15:04 am »
Scored an interview for a big cancer research institute.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #4246 on: January 30, 2017, 09:17:53 pm »
I think, I think, I think that I was offered a job today, which means that I can quit the garbage job that I have now.  It's part-time, but if I work a second part-time job and maybe drive for Uber or Lyft a couple days a week, I should be able to make nearly as much money while 1) working 40-50 hours per week instead of 80-100 (so maybe I'll get to see my 5-month old son sometimes?) and 2) not get yelled at regularly for not being enough of an asshole to teenagers.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4247 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:01 am »
...You've been working for up to 100 hours per week?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4248 on: January 31, 2017, 10:45:08 pm »
Thanks to a friend, I have discovered Alestorm.  Fuck yes!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4249 on: February 15, 2017, 01:28:08 am »
Turkish special forces are competing to make fun of ISIS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Military/comments/5u2wic/turkish_seals_open_caf%C3%A9_de_sniper_overlooking_the/

Note that the Turkish units aren't really called SEALS but the writer wanted to make sure that people understand what he means because readers from USA would be confused by calling one unit "Underwater Offence."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #4250 on: February 18, 2017, 11:52:27 am »
My hospital just hired some new anesthesiologists. It's always nice to have a lighter load.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4251 on: February 18, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »
Won a $20 amazon gift card
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4252 on: February 22, 2017, 09:04:10 am »
Just got my financial aid disbursement, baby!  That's $600 to savings, and aaaaaaall the rest towards fun!  Starting with my good friend, booze!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4253 on: February 24, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
I got my main computer back up and running after its main HD was thrown out of whack by a power outage, and the new HD is twice as big as the old one.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #4254 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:33 pm »
I took the family on a vacation. Nothing fancy, just a week at the beach. But it was still nice to get away for a week.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4255 on: February 25, 2017, 05:34:16 am »
I just learned to read hiragana in under 2 days, in prep for a trip next year.  I still go blank on a character now and then, and confuse one character for a similar one, and I'm reading syllable-by-syllable rather than just looking at a word and knowing instantly what it says like you do when reading your own language.  But considering just over a day ago it was all meaningless lines on a page to me and I was pretty sure I was incapable of learning it I think I've done alright.  I don't speak Japanese so I don't actually know what the words I'm reading mean but it's a start lol.

Oh and even though I can identify hiragana characters and know what syllable it makes I can't do the reverse - IE if you asked me to write the character for "se", for example, I'd struggle.  But show me "se" and I can tell you it is "se". Don't ask me to explain how that's even possible but it is. But I figured I probably don't need to know how to write characters for a simple holiday, being able to read them will be more important, so I'm not too bothered.  If I was moving there permanently that'd be different.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:39:12 am by Katsuro »

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4256 on: February 25, 2017, 06:56:44 am »
I just learned to read hiragana in under 2 days, in prep for a trip next year.  I still go blank on a character now and then, and confuse one character for a similar one, and I'm reading syllable-by-syllable rather than just looking at a word and knowing instantly what it says like you do when reading your own language.  But considering just over a day ago it was all meaningless lines on a page to me and I was pretty sure I was incapable of learning it I think I've done alright.  I don't speak Japanese so I don't actually know what the words I'm reading mean but it's a start lol.

Oh and even though I can identify hiragana characters and know what syllable it makes I can't do the reverse - IE if you asked me to write the character for "se", for example, I'd struggle.  But show me "se" and I can tell you it is "se". Don't ask me to explain how that's even possible but it is. But I figured I probably don't need to know how to write characters for a simple holiday, being able to read them will be more important, so I'm not too bothered.  If I was moving there permanently that'd be different.

Hurray for hiragana! I haven't been to Japan myself, but there's also actually a ton of katakana that you'll see on a daily basis in the cities (especially on menus and stuff) so people also recommend learning that as well, if you're up for it. Especially since it lets you sound stuff out, i.e., if you see チキン on a menu, it's gonna be chicken.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:59:59 am by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4257 on: February 25, 2017, 07:53:37 am »

Hurray for hiragana! I haven't been to Japan myself, but there's also actually a ton of katakana that you'll see on a daily basis in the cities (especially on menus and stuff) so people also recommend learning that as well, if you're up for it. Especially since it lets you sound stuff out, i.e., if you see チキン on a menu, it's gonna be chicken.

Yeah I'm aware there's a fair bit of  English in Japan but written in Japanese (IE katakana) so I do intend to learn it too, but at this point I feel like I'll get confused and start forgetting stuff so I just wanna get confident with hiragana first so my brain doesn't catch fire lol.  Then I wanna learn a handful of the more common/essential kanji for good measure (I've already learned about a half dozen).  Then of course I also need to know some of the actual language.

I'm not entirely hopeful, I mean I found French at school difficult enough to remember and I didn't even have to re-learn how to read for that one lol.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4258 on: February 25, 2017, 05:01:53 pm »
Well, there's definitely a ton of handy hiragana practice resources out there, so they can help jam it into your brain.

As for learning languages in general, I think it's just a matter of consistency in studying. I remember very little from Spanish in school, which is a far easier language to learn as a native English speaker, but that's mostly because it was just a class and I gave zero fucks. Self-study can do wonders when you're motivated. Of course, motivation is a whole 'nother thing.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4259 on: February 27, 2017, 04:46:54 pm »
I'm amazed as to the quality you can get in a workout, when your sole weights are a pair of thirty five pound dumbbells.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer