Author Topic: Samson legend gains substance?  (Read 4601 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Samson legend gains substance?
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:54 am »
Well, not to me.  But some "scientific" reporters will resort to misleading headlines and extremely premature conclusions when an artifact is found which they think proves, or at the very least, lends credence to, something in the Bible.

This is a very good case in point.  Small seal from around the 11th century BCE appears to show someone fighting a lion or other large animal with a feline tail.  Why, it must be Samson!!!  After all, that's about the right time period.

I'm sure no other person in that area at that time ever had an encounter with a lion and had to fight it in a self-preservation mode.  And since that never happened at all, then it could not have found its way into the Bible as legend and attributed to Samson, a character that is found no where else other than the Bible.  No, sir.  That can't be it. ::)

Shit like this just drives me crazy.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Deus ex Populo

• Bishop
    • My Tumblr, for what it's worth...
Re: Samson legend gains substance?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:44:32 pm »
Apparently, there's no way that the seal could've depicted a completely fictional event, either.
"Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty." - Hari Seldon, Foundation

"[A] blunderbuss or cannon is hardly likely to be used for a drive-by shooting."
- From Wikipedia

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:06:54 pm »
It's aliens, dammit! >:(

*Cue pic of guy with sticky-up boofy hair*

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:31:56 pm »
That depicts Sam the Lion Fighter.  It's easy to see why they might get confused.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:37:11 pm by Old Viking »
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 04:52:01 pm »
It always amuses me when Christians say long hair on men is a sin (no, seriously, they do) and yet ignore the legend of Samson, a man who had to make a vow to Yahweh never to cut his hair, and in return got super strength.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:50 pm »
It always amuses me when Christians say long hair on men is a sin (no, seriously, they do) and yet ignore the legend of Samson, a man who had to make a vow to Yahweh never to cut his hair, and in return got super strength.

Yeah, that's never made a bit of sense to me, either. 
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:36:13 am »
Sampson is obviously the only guy in mythology ever to fight a lion.

RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:23 am »
Woah... Looks like he's wearing Scar.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:31:35 am »
In the Disney version of Hercules, the lion he killed was Scar.  Or at least was physically identical to Scar.  Disney/Pixar likes to do that sort of thing.  For example, if you watch Monsters, Inc. all of the toys in Boo's bedroom are Toy Story toys.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:33 am »
Ah yeah.  Self-referencing.  I guess Scar got to be the Nemean Lion.

I mean... Scar was a douche, but to be turned into headgear?   Ehhh..

Offline wyvern999

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
In the Disney version of Hercules, the lion he killed was Scar.  Or at least was physically identical to Scar.  Disney/Pixar likes to do that sort of thing.  For example, if you watch Monsters, Inc. all of the toys in Boo's bedroom are Toy Story toys.

Really? I never noticed that.

Getting back to the OP. Presumably people back then made up stories about superheroes like we do today. No doubt Samson is the result of some pre-historic Stan Lee weaving his imaginative magic on the local populace.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:05:44 pm »
Ah yeah.  Self-referencing.  I guess Scar got to be the Nemean Lion.

I mean... Scar was a douche, but to be turned into headgear?   Ehhh..

Well what were they supposed to do to his skin after being ripped apart by heyenas? Looks nice on him.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 09:50:07 am »

Yeah, that's never made a bit of sense to me, either.

I think it was St. Paul that came up with that particular bit of inanity.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:27 am »
Yeah it was Paul.  Guy had... Issues.  Particularly with women.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »
It's aliens, dammit! >:(

*Cue pic of guy with sticky-up boofy hair*

For you!

It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth