Author Topic: Exodus International bites the dust! Founder comes out of closet.  (Read 1874 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/20/19056718-ex-gay-group-says-its-shutting-down-leader-apologizes-for-pain-and-hurt?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=6

Oh hell yeah. Made my day, reading that. Decade after decade of psychological torture of innocent LGBT's stopped. I hope this leads to the complete demise of the ex-gay "therapy"/ministries"movement", once and for all.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

wrightway

Re: Exodus International bites the dust! Founder comes out of closet.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:13:33 pm »
I was just reading this. I've got hope for their new Reduce Fear ministry.

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
Exodus International Shuts Down
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 12:22:33 pm »
No surprise here, it turns out the groups president is gay.

About damn time

A Christian ministry that led the so-called ex-gay movement, which professes to rid people of their homosexuality, has announced that it will shut down, and its leader apologized extensively to gays for causing “pain and hurt.”

The ministry, Exodus International, was founded in 1976 and claims more than 200 branches, churches and counselors in the United States and Canada. It had insisted that people could overcome same-sex attraction through prayer and therapy.

Mainstream psychiatric and medical groups have said that the movement, also known as reparative therapy, is unfounded in science and can be harmful. The American Psychiatric Association said 15 years ago that it could cause depression, anxiety and self-depressive behavior in patients.

The president of Exodus, Alan Chambers, said late Wednesday on the ministry’s website that he had “conveniently omitted my ongoing same-sex attractions” but now accepts them “as parts of my life that will like always be there.”

Addressing gays, Chambers, who is married to a woman, wrote: “You have never been my enemy. I am very sorry that I have been yours.”

“I am sorry for the pain and hurt many of you have experienced,” he wrote. “I am sorry that some of you spent years working through the shame and guilt you felt when your attractions didn’t change.”

Link

The invocation of Haggard's Law isn't surprising, but the fact that the organization is shutting down is.  Cue the right wing freak out...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:25:24 pm by SkyTrekTower »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Exodus International Shuts Down
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:25 pm »
Well that's a surprise.  Usually these types of organizations stay up even after their founder is found out to be what they hate.

Ironbite-color me surprised.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »
Ooooh this beat the one in Religion by a good 20 minutes.

Ironbite-nice.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 03:57:02 pm »
From the comments:

"ErinNJ Marriage has been redefined countless times since this country's inception, and thousands of years ago, same-sex marriage was legal in quite a few ancient civilizations. Our own Native Americans also performed them."
This is true Erin. I'm concerned about how it is currently defined and keeping it that way not about which society in the past has accepted it. Obviously, i'm powerless to keep it traditional and it will soon change to include same sex marriage. However, i can use your own quote above to provide hope to those that wish to retain tradiional marriage. Someday down the road (maybe decades, maybe centuries) marriage will again be redefined to consist of a traidional heterosexual marriage. This, i believe, is because previous societies have shown that same sex marriage is morally wrong. After our experimental stage is over, we too will realize same sex marriage is wrong and will revert back to tradional marriage. Bottom line: there is something wrong with homosexuality. And while homosexuality will always exist in society, there is something wrong when society starts celebrating homosexuality as though it is normal. Homosexuality is not celebrated or an agenda???? Right, what the hell is a Pride parade then? What are you proud of? Homosexuality is nothing to be proud about. It accomplishes nothing. It does not add to society. If you want to celebrate some real accomplishments that is fine but celebrating a sexual orientation is not pride, that is an agenda.

It is downright mind-boggling that this guy acknowledges outright that marriage has constantly changed, and still continues to call man/woman "traditional" marriage in the same paragraph.  Does he think "traditional" is synonymous for "what I think is right?"  Or does he think the qualifier for "traditional" should only include the period when one man/one woman started becoming the norm?

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:47:26 am »
This is a good day for gay marriage. And a good day for gays period after all the crap this group had done.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:02:53 am »
I saw the documentary about this on OWN tonight. In his apology, the founder compared his creation of the ministry and its actions to a multiple-car pileup on a highway.

I'm sorry, but when you not only cause multiple-car pileups not once, but multiple times, refuse to see how your actions are responsible for others' pain, and refuse to rectify them, then there comes a point when you should just be forbidden from driving ever again.

Decade after decade of psychological torture of innocent LGBT's stopped. I hope this leads to the complete demise of the ex-gay "therapy"/ministries"movement", once and for all.

Probably not. There are a lot more ex-gay ministries out there, most of them smaller. Exodus International just happened to be one of the larger ones. There is also Love in Action (now Restoration Path), Courage International for Catholics, Evergreen International for Mormons, JONAH for Jews, Homosexuals Anonymous, and many other smaller organizations, along with independent "therapists" who will "treat" queer people for their "illness." I don't think it'll be possible to stamp out all of this until more states pass legislation banning this harmful treatment that masquerades as mental healthcare.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:08:10 am by Eva-Beatrice »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:18:23 am »
I do hope the huge publicity that this story is getting will spark a lot of legislative activity like California's ban. The fact that Chambers is being decent about sincerely apologizing (as much as a Christian of his type probably can) and owning up to the hypocrisy and stupid futility of the "movement" will help shore up impetus to throttle the other "reparative" groups. Yes, the really zealous fundies will still do this crap, but be forced to hide from the law at least.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »
For these reasons, the Board of Directors unanimously voted to close Exodus International and begin a separate ministry.

From here: http://exodusinternational.org/2013/06/exodus-international-to-shut-down/

I wonder what this separate ministry will entail...
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:28:20 pm »
Hopefully, this will make people realize that praying the gay away doesn't work.