Author Topic: S. 1274 Federal funding for rebuilding religious institutions!  (Read 4565 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:28:15 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
Re: S. 1274 Federal funding for rebuilding religious institutions!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:36:34 pm »
As long as it is open to all it does not violate the separation of church and state.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 04:36:50 pm »
As long as it is open to all it does not violate the separation of church and state.

I'm pretty sure using tax payer money to fund the construction and upkeep of churches violates that pretty well. Does the church of satan get money? Do atheist groups get money? Do you really think a mosque would ever get money?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure using tax payer money to fund the construction and upkeep of churches violates that pretty well. Does the church of satan get money? Do atheist groups get money? Do you really think a mosque would ever get money?
Stats, please!
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:06 pm »

Stats, please!

What stats would there be on a the distribution of money from a proposed piece of legislation? Unless I misread the first post, this has yet to be implemented. What I'm trying to say is, how do you really think it will work in practice?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:13 pm »
Well, crud. Yeah, you're right.

(click to show/hide)
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:04 pm »

If only christian churches get money that it would be a violation.  If mosques and other religious organization can get money as well it could not be seen as promoting a particular religion.

Atheist groups are not religious, unless you are going to argue that atheism is a religion. 
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 06:21:02 pm »
In a perfect world, Nickerson, you'd be absolutely right, and there would be little to no problems with this particular piece of legislation.  However, the US, like all of the Western world, plays favourites when it comes to Christianity.  Synagogues MIGHT get some money, but I'd bet you $20 that the lion's share of prospective recipients of this money would be some denomination or other of Christianity, which means that this is a violation of the separation of church and state, if not the entirety of the Establishment Clause.  This makes it unconstitutional, and therefore hideously reprehensible that such a thing is even being considered by the people who are supposed to take the US Constitution into account when they do shit like this.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:44:36 pm »
In a perfect world, Nickerson, you'd be absolutely right, and there would be little to no problems with this particular piece of legislation.  However, the US, like all of the Western world, plays favourites when it comes to Christianity.  Synagogues MIGHT get some money, but I'd bet you $20 that the lion's share of prospective recipients of this money would be some denomination or other of Christianity, which means that this is a violation of the separation of church and state, if not the entirety of the Establishment Clause.  This makes it unconstitutional, and therefore hideously reprehensible that such a thing is even being considered by the people who are supposed to take the US Constitution into account when they do shit like this.

Well technically the application of the legislation would be unconstitutional, not the legislation it self.   You are probably right about how it will be applied, but lets hope you are wrong.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:56:50 pm »
but lets hope you are wrong.

I'd sooner hope that both Koch Brothers get hit by lightning while playing golf on their yachts.

That has a higher chance of happening.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:50 pm »

I'd sooner hope that both Koch Brothers get hit by lightning while playing golf on their yachts.

Unrelated note: I recently found out that Volition, the game company that makes the Saint's Row games, was bought by a company named Koch Media when THQ went under. I was pissed, but then noticed that it was a German company that has no relation to the Koch brothers. I'm now happy as this may mean not having to put up with THQ's bullshit of codes to access multiplayer.

As I write this I'm about to go wreak havoc on a virtual city in a tank. Best stress relief ever.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:38 pm »

Unrelated note: I recently found out that Volition, the game company that makes the Saint's Row games, was bought by a company named Koch Media when THQ went under. I was pissed, but then noticed that it was a German company that has no relation to the Koch brothers. I'm now happy as this may mean not having to put up with THQ's bullshit of codes to access multiplayer.

As I write this I'm about to go wreak havoc on a virtual city in a tank. Best stress relief ever.
That's awesome. Side note: fuck yeah, Germans!
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:45 pm »
This money is expressly for rebuilding structures after disasters.

This isn't a threat to the first amendment.  There is nothing wrong with allowing religious institutions to get money for that.  It's not giving money to a religious organization, it's giving money to an organization that happens to have been affected by a natural disaster.  Not only are mosques, synagogues, satanic churches eligible, so are private homes and businesses.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »

That's awesome. Side note: fuck yeah, Germans!

May this mean good things for the Red Faction series.  We need a proper sequel to Guerrilla, damn it!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:37:10 pm »
Welp, I should have made this thread more informative. Time to correct that.

I'm pretty sure using tax payer money to fund the construction and upkeep of churches violates that pretty well.
Winner, winner chicken dinner! There are two reasons why: tax exemption and Lemon v. Kurtzman.

Churches and religious orgs are tax exempt unless audited otherwise.

As the IRS puts it:
Churches and religious organizations, like many other charitable organizations, qualify for exemption from federal income tax under IRC section 501(c)(3) and are generally eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions.
To qualify for tax-exempt status, such an organization must meet the following requirements (covered in greater detail throughout this publication):

■ the organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other charitable purposes,

■ net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder,

■ no substantial part of its activity may be attempting to influence legislation,

■ the organization may not intervene in political campaigns, and

■ the organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

The Lemon Test.

Original version and TL:DR version:
1.   The government's action must have a secular legislative purpose;
2.   The government's action must not have the primary effect of either advancing or inhibiting religion;
3.   The government's action must not result in an "excessive government entanglement" with religion.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:29:38 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*