Author Topic: ISIS declares a new caliphate  (Read 5918 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
ISIS declares a new caliphate
« on: June 29, 2014, 10:41:26 pm »
You thought the shit had hit the fan already?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iraq-militant-group-declares-establishment-of-islamic-state-1.2691160

The al-Qaida breakaway group that has seized much of northeastern Syria and huge tracts of neighbouring Iraq formally declared the establishment of a new Islamic state on Sunday and demanded allegiance from Muslims worldwide.

"The legality of all emirates, groups, states and organizations becomes null by the expansion of the caliph's authority and the arrival of its troops to their areas," said the spokesman, Abu Mohammed al-Adnani, in an audio statement posted online. "Listen to your caliph and obey him. Support your state, which grows every day."

Muslim extremists have long dreamed of recreating the Islamic state, or caliphate, that ruled over the Middle East, much of North Africa and beyond in various forms over the course of Islam's 1,400-year history.

Well, this will be very, very interesting.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: ISIS declares a new caliphate
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:48:37 pm »
Good luck getting recognition, assholes.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:53:37 pm »
I think I can hear the rest of the Middle East laughing and readying their forces to crush them.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:14:19 pm »
Oh is it Tuesday in the Middle East again?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:56:23 pm »
Who declared their Caliphate last week?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:07 am »
I know these guys have been causing a lot of trouble in Syria and Iraq, but does most of the middle east hate them?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:46:48 am »
That sound? I think it was Israel and other nations cracking their knuckles.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:34:49 am »
Khomeini: Oh no you most assuredly did not!

Assad: Motherfucker, you invade my dictatorship, stop my dictating, and steal my WOMDs, but a fucking Caliphate? Last. Straw. EAT SARIN GAS!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 04:01:26 am »
Given recent events, it's entirely possible that other countries (Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Israel...talk about strange bedfellows) may get in on a no-holds barred beatdown...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:04 am »
Apparently, they didn't get the memo. Manifest destiny only works when those occupying the territory you're after are significantly weaker than you.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:20:53 am »
And here I was thinking before I clicked that the topic was about the Egyptian Goddess.   

Or one of my cats.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:21:17 am »
I wonder if those bozos are aware that their acronym in English spells out a name of a *GASP* ANCIENT PAGAN GODDESS?! I mean, paganism, goddesses & women are like totally bad news to these guys.

Y'know? This might be a good thing, something to the stop the fighting between all these countries, they can join forces against a common enemy, one who has REALLY ground their religious gears!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 02:57:14 pm »
I can see the sensible inevitability of Iraq dissolving and reverting to the pre-WWI national borders of religious sects, languages and ethnic groups, but this is just fanatical war-lord bullshit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 04:23:27 pm »
I wonder if those bozos are aware that their acronym in English spells out a name of a *GASP* ANCIENT PAGAN GODDESS?! I mean, paganism, goddesses & women are like totally bad news to these guys.

Doubtful. The acronym the organization is probably most familiar with is داعش (roughly DAISH in English). Anyone familiar with ancient gods in that region may be more familiar with the Sumerian or Babylonian pantheon than an ancient Egyptian goddess.

Y'know? This might be a good thing, something to the stop the fighting between all these countries, they can join forces against a common enemy, one who has REALLY ground their religious gears!

Similarly doubtful. Syria is still up for grabs between several proxy rebel groups (from which ISIS came), Israel will continue to stir up shit with Palestine and Iran, Pakistan and India start wars along their border periodically, and the U.S. loves to carry out drone strikes in Yemen, Pakistan, etc. to keep things from getting too stable.

The only external force I could see getting enough of them fired up in opposition would be a U.S. occupation. It's possibly the worst move we could make in that region after the stint in 2003.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
On a slightly inappropriate note, am I the only who can't help but think of Archer whenever they hear or read about ISIS?