Author Topic: Pope brings Syrian refugees back to Vatican City  (Read 1726 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Pope brings Syrian refugees back to Vatican City
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:22:58 pm »
Understand I am very ambivalent about Pope Francis. He's better, but not really that good. Yes, this is a political move. Yes, it is drama and symbolism. Yes, he's a grand stander and utterly wrong on many matters. Nevertheless, maybe this gesture will momentarily pause the anti-immigrant panic, since the general public do mostly admire Pope Francis. Anyway, a few people did get some desperately needed help, so there's that...

(MSN video link. I'll replace it with a YouTube inset when that becomes available)
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/migrants-weep-as-pope-visits-greek-refugee-camp/vi-BBrPPth

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Pope brings Syrian refugees back to Vatican City
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:27:34 pm »
The man tries is what I admire about him.  My main problems are that he doesn't try hard enough and is incredibly backwards on a number of issues.

Ironbite-and comparing honest people with nuclear weapons really starts to grind my gears.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:15 pm »
He holds to some of the outdated norms and standards, but in other regards he is progressive enough in the right arenas to make the right wing squirm, even if he is not likely to get anything done in a real sense.

They're used to being able to say that they are the holy ones, and the right despises having their notions of absolute morality stripped from them.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:25:42 am »
If you expect pope Francis to be a progressive symbol for the world you will be disappointed by things like his beliefs on same-sex marriage. If you merely judge him on how progressive he is compared to other popes then he is doing pretty well.

And even if taking a few refugees is merely a symbolic gesture, it is a good symbolic gesture and yet another reminder on the Christian generosity and helping the unfortunate ones that people seem to want to ignore when it comes to refugees.

(The Finnish arch bishop has also spoken on helping the refugees who come to Finland and racists are leaving the church in droves. One church was already burnt down because people were angered at the mere suggestion that we should help the needy.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:41:53 am »
Wow, that's like really Mississippi of ya, Finnish wingnuts.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 09:38:57 am »
The racist assholes claim to defend our culture and traditions and then applaud a dickhead who burned a historically and culturally significant building from the 18th century. Expecting logical consistency from them would be too much.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:54 am »
The racist assholes claim to defend our culture and traditions and then applaud a dickhead who burned a historically and culturally significant building from the 18th century. Expecting logical consistency from them would be too much.

I take it you're talking about Varg Vikernes?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:10 am »

No, we are talking about the dickhead who burnt down a church in Finland last month. The church had been built in 1786 and as it was destroyed so were several beautiful pieces of art including the church organs that were estimated to be worth 700'000€.

And the "Close the borders" mob has been cheering for the arsonist ever since.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:46 am »

No, we are talking about the dickhead who burnt down a church in Finland last month. The church had been built in 1786 and as it was destroyed so were several beautiful pieces of art including the church organs that were estimated to be worth 700'000€.

And the "Close the borders" mob has been cheering for the arsonist ever since.

Ah.  I got mixed up.  My bad.