Author Topic: Violence at Berkeley  (Read 17624 times)

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
Re: Violence at Berkeley
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2017, 11:17:29 pm »
And would you look at that, people were cheering them on. Not just randos on Twitter, either. This just keeps getting better and better!

Okay, let's break this down. You decry the fact that people are cheering them on, and explicitly say that it's not just "randos on Twitter either". So let's look at who exactly is "cheering them on", shall we? We have... Lexi Alexander, some film director I've never heard of... okay, Sarah Silverman, I have heard of her at least! Too bad she's not really anyone with any real power, so her opinion is kind of irrelevant. Who else? A professor, Angus Johnson. Okay, it might be a little off for a professor to be saying something like this, I'll give you that. I see his point, though. After that, we have Austin Walker, apparently the EIC of a gaming website. Woo, I literally do not care what he thinks. A pair of literally random feminists who don't even seem to have a job title. WHO CARES. A producer of some kid's TV show. Again, WHO CARES. Fucking Laci Green, of all people. The list goes on and on, most of the people after it are Gamergate opponents, noticeably...

What this list is missing is anyone with any real power speaking out in favor of the protests. Where's the head of Berkeley speaking out in favor? Where's the police chief of the city speaking out in favor? Where's LITERALLY ANYONE WITH ANY SORT OF REAL POWER SPEAKING OUT IN FAVOR OF THESE PROTESTS!? Celebrities have no power. And most of these people aren't even real celebrities. C-list at the very best. Who cares what they think? Why does their opinion matter to you? You can find a subset of any population willing to speak out in favor of anything.

And for that matter, where the hell did you even get this source? Do you actually read this dreck or did you just do a google search for "left wing celebrates Berkeley protest"? Because either one is pretty damning, you know. I mean, seriously, did you look at the trending articles? Right at the top is "The Left is living in a Nazi Fever Dream" and "Trump's SCOTUS Pick Neil Gorsuch Fought Social Justice Warriors Before it was Cool". This site is biased to all fuck and back.

Why the hostility?

TBH, I was more irritated than anything.

As for your question about how I found the article, I fail to see how it's relevant. But just for the record, I was linked to it by my sister. You have a point about the website being biased, but I don't know how it invalidates the facts of the article.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 11:36:01 pm »
Is it also correct that a Trump supporter shot a protestor?

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 12:37:53 am »
Is it also correct that a Trump supporter shot a protestor?

I hadn't heard that. Mind dropping a link?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 03:04:35 am »
And would you look at that, people were cheering them on. Not just randos on Twitter, either. This just keeps getting better and better!

Okay, let's break this down. You decry the fact that people are cheering them on, and explicitly say that it's not just "randos on Twitter either". So let's look at who exactly is "cheering them on", shall we? We have... Lexi Alexander, some film director I've never heard of... okay, Sarah Silverman, I have heard of her at least! Too bad she's not really anyone with any real power, so her opinion is kind of irrelevant. Who else? A professor, Angus Johnson. Okay, it might be a little off for a professor to be saying something like this, I'll give you that. I see his point, though. After that, we have Austin Walker, apparently the EIC of a gaming website. Woo, I literally do not care what he thinks. A pair of literally random feminists who don't even seem to have a job title. WHO CARES. A producer of some kid's TV show. Again, WHO CARES. Fucking Laci Green, of all people. The list goes on and on, most of the people after it are Gamergate opponents, noticeably...

What this list is missing is anyone with any real power speaking out in favor of the protests. Where's the head of Berkeley speaking out in favor? Where's the police chief of the city speaking out in favor? Where's LITERALLY ANYONE WITH ANY SORT OF REAL POWER SPEAKING OUT IN FAVOR OF THESE PROTESTS!? Celebrities have no power. And most of these people aren't even real celebrities. C-list at the very best. Who cares what they think? Why does their opinion matter to you? You can find a subset of any population willing to speak out in favor of anything.

And for that matter, where the hell did you even get this source? Do you actually read this dreck or did you just do a google search for "left wing celebrates Berkeley protest"? Because either one is pretty damning, you know. I mean, seriously, did you look at the trending articles? Right at the top is "The Left is living in a Nazi Fever Dream" and "Trump's SCOTUS Pick Neil Gorsuch Fought Social Justice Warriors Before it was Cool". This site is biased to all fuck and back.

Why the hostility?

As for your question about how I found the article, I fail to see how it's relevant. But just for the record, I was linked to it by my sister. You have a point about the website being biased, but I don't know how it invalidates the facts of the article.

The facts of the article might be true or not, it doesn't really matter to me because these people don't matter. They have no power, they have no importance. Why, exactly, do we care about their opinions of a protest? How is it even worthy of a news article?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 09:47:00 am »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/person-shot-anti-donald-trump-protest-wash-state-article-1.2952080

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/trump-supporter-shot-anti-fascist-journalists-inauguration-protest-prison

http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/01/21/trump-protester-shot-at-university-washington-milo-yiannopoulos-speech/

This appears to be a different protest though. Not the Berkley one.

That would explain it.

Why the hostility?

The facts of the article might be true or not, it doesn't really matter to me because these people don't matter. They have no power, they have no importance. Why, exactly, do we care about their opinions of a protest? How is it even worthy of a news article?

I think it's because, while these people don't have much in the way of authority, they do have significant influence as celebs, journos, profs, etc.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »
But I really don't see how they do. I really doubt anyone's going to see Sarah Silverman supporting the tactics of the anarchists and go "well, I wasn't sure, but now I see Sarah Silverman supporting it, so I'm gonna go do that now". If someone does, then it will be worthy of a news article, but as it is, spreading this kind of information just falsely spreads the idea, all too common among the right, that the left wing of the country is okay with violence. Well, I'm not okay with violence, and I don't think anyone else here is, and I sure don't care if Sarah Silverman is.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »
Ah Heat St. Murdoch's Brietbart knockoff. The right wings Raw Story.

Seems legit.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 05:00:56 pm »
But I really don't see how they do. I really doubt anyone's going to see Sarah Silverman supporting the tactics of the anarchists and go "well, I wasn't sure, but now I see Sarah Silverman supporting it, so I'm gonna go do that now". If someone does, then it will be worthy of a news article, but as it is, spreading this kind of information just falsely spreads the idea, all too common among the right, that the left wing of the country is okay with violence. Well, I'm not okay with violence, and I don't think anyone else here is, and I sure don't care if Sarah Silverman is.

And I'm not o.k. with it either. No group deserves to be judged based on the actions of a few malefactors.

Ah Heat St. Murdoch's Brietbart knockoff. The right wings Raw Story.

Seems legit.

I don't like Murdoch either, but I believe in judging articles by merit, rather than by platform. I'm not going to automatically dismiss a Buzzfeed article just because it's on Buzzfeed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 05:07:35 pm by Lana Reverse »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:16 pm »
Well I'll double check anything I read at Buzzfeed because they're Buzzfeed. Ditto Fox News, even with RS I'll try to find out where they sourced it first.

Regardless, it does rather look like HS is nutpicking here.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 05:48:18 pm »
Turns out not all the rioters were outsiders. Looks like the initial reporting was incorrect.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:23 pm »
Turns out not all the rioters were outsiders. Looks like the initial reporting was incorrect.

Um, what are you talking about? The initial report quoted the university as saying this.

The university blamed "150 masked agitators" for the unrest, saying they had come to campus to disturb an otherwise peaceful protest.

Which was saying that rioters were outsiders and now you are saying they were correct in claiming some rioters were not outsiders...What?

In any case I'm officially done with pearl-clutching over fascists getting stuff chucked at them. Fascism is on the march in America, Europe, Asia and Down Under. Every time it's had it's way with countries it's left piles of mutilated corpses and survivors scarred by torture, rapine and trauma. It's a clear and present danger, much more so to me than the frigging black bloc. 

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 09:36:16 pm »

Um, what are you talking about? The initial report quoted the university as saying this.

The university blamed "150 masked agitators" for the unrest, saying they had come to campus to disturb an otherwise peaceful protest.

Which was saying that rioters were outsiders and now you are saying they were correct in claiming some rioters were not outsiders...What?

In any case I'm officially done with pearl-clutching over fascists getting stuff chucked at them. Fascism is on the march in America, Europe, Asia and Down Under. Every time it's had it's way with countries it's left piles of mutilated corpses and survivors scarred by torture, rapine and trauma. It's a clear and present danger, much more so to me than the frigging black bloc.

Do you really think the people who got hurt were all fascists?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 09:45:06 pm »
Nope.

Now, what was your point about what the original article was supposed to prove again?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »
Nope.

Now, what was your point about what the original article was supposed to prove again?

You intolerant ass, fascists are people too. We must respect their fee-fees.

ETA: Stop triggering the snowflake fascists who just want to turn America into their safe space by killing everyone not like them.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?