Author Topic: Prop 8 proponents still kicking it  (Read 1762 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Prop 8 proponents still kicking it
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:07:29 pm »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/02/california-gay-marriage-ban-decision-review.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

ProtectMarriage [citation needed], the sponsors of Proposition 8, will ask a larger panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to review the marriage dispute ruling instead of going straight to the U.S. Supreme Court, according to a spokeswoman.

The 9th Circuit would have to vote on whether to grant the extra layer of review. If a majority favors it, a larger panel will reconsider the constitutionality of the marriage ban and issue a ruling. Such a reconsideration could delay U.S. Supreme Court review by months or more than a year.

Protect Marriage, by destroying thousands of them!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:09:41 pm by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Prop 8 proponents still kicking it
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:22 pm »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/02/california-gay-marriage-ban-decision-review.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

ProtectMarriage [citation needed], the sponsors of Proposition 8, will ask a larger panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to review the marriage dispute ruling instead of going straight to the U.S. Supreme Court, according to a spokeswoman.

The 9th Circuit would have to vote on whether to grant the extra layer of review. If a majority favors it, a larger panel will reconsider the constitutionality of the marriage ban and issue a ruling. Such a reconsideration could delay U.S. Supreme Court review by months or more than a year.

Protect Marriage, by destroying thousands of them!

So it's going to hit the Supreme Court sooner or later? If it does then the whole country will go apeshit. Someone will be royally pissed at whatever the outcome is. If the fundies lose there is a good chance they will get violent. Because of my location I would probably get a front row seat to the insanity if that's the case.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 07:03:39 pm »
They're trying to delay it but what will result is that the repeal will be more strongly enforce through the rulings. They're fucking themselves.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:21 pm »
IIRC, the District Court ruling only said that they can't take away the right to marry after granting it. Nothing about whether states are obligated to allow same-sex marriage. So the fundies shouldn't get too pissed over this, yeah? I mean, there's still only, what, 6 or 7 states that recognize SSM?

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:26 pm »
IIRC, the District Court ruling only said that they can't take away the right to marry after granting it. Nothing about whether states are obligated to allow same-sex marriage. So the fundies shouldn't get too pissed over this, yeah? I mean, there's still only, what, 6 or 7 states that recognize SSM?

They don't care.  They don't want gays to marry at all.  They bitch and moan about how the government is trying to take their rights, yet here they are, trying to actively take rights that have already been granted away from people they don't like.  It's not even a matter of a trying to stop a group of people from getting rights, which is what is going on in other states; it's about trying to take existing rights away from people who already have them.  That, to me, makes this case even worse than simply not legalizing SSM from the start.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:08:36 am »
"Prop 8 proponents still kicking it." In the back or the front seat?

I am a terrible person and I should feel bad.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:23:25 am »
You should.

It just goes to show that these people have no interest in protecting marriage.  They just want to put those dirty gays back where they belong.  But little do they know, they're just helping the fight.  Because as we've found out, objecting on purely religious grounds and/or not actually having an argument is not going to win these people the fight.

Ironbite-of course they're going to lose because let's face it....civil rights just march on.