Author Topic: Texas Kid Could Be Sentenced Up To Eight Years For Facebook Sarcasm  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Texas Kid Could Be Sentenced Up To Eight Years For Facebook Sarcasm
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »
The kid is alarmingly stupid.  The cops are alarmingly stupid.  It's Texas.  What's new?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 03:56:20 pm »
Happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. Frustrated comment, someone in the US took it seriously, transatlantic police alert. We were waiting to go into the lecture when he got a surprised phonecall from his sister because the police were first going to his home address. They didn't interrupt the lecture, but he was quietly picked out of the crowd afterwards and spent several uncomfortable hours at the police station.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »
It's amazing the lengths people are going to in order to defend the arrest.  It basically boils down to "these are scary times so they shouldn't be able to say things like that."  Yeah, you're scared and offended that these things were said during a sensitive period, but in five years after the hysteria dies down you'll be bitching about how more rights are being stripped away and wondering how it happened.  You can't make allowances for this type of crap because you're currently paranoid, and then be surprised when those allowances aren't relinquished after the paranoia leaves.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 04:48:35 pm »
I was pissed when I read about this in June and still pissed reading it today.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 01:31:36 am »
I don't see what the kid did that's so stupid. It's an obvious joke, & he went out of his way to identify it as such. People make jokes. Sometimes jokes are offensive. Since when is that "stupid"?

The comments are really irritating me. They don't seem to get this idea of "disproportionate retribution." If the police investigated the report, they should have seen that it was an obvious joke, by a person with no signs of violence. Call him up, warn him about being careful with wisecracks like that, & call it a day. What happens to freedom of speech if satirical comments are prosecutable "threats of terrorism"?

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 02:11:23 am »
Man, this has me so angry I feel like blowing up a church and hiding anthrax in the Easter eggs and Halloween candy.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35:05 pm »
Man, this has me so angry I feel like blowing up a church and hiding anthrax in the Easter eggs and Halloween candy.

And then Eva was never seen again...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:24:37 pm »

"Of course she's a terrorist, just look at her user name" said the lazy federal agent.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 05:46:02 pm »

"Of course she's a terrorist, just look at her user name" said the lazy federal agent.

That's the funniest bit about this.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 11:54:59 pm »

That's the funniest bit about this.

America enjoys a good joke, but not when the punchline is TERRORISM
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 09:27:09 am »
Well, guys, looks like I'm going to jail for life then, because I said "DIAF" a few times in 2006-7.  Clearly I would never have said such a thing unless I intended to go commit arson/murder.

Seriously, what the fucking hell?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 04:08:55 am »
Rammstein's "Amerika" doesn't work here, so...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkiCFOE-Ic" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkiCFOE-Ic</a>
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.