Author Topic: Is Daredevil a synesthete  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Is Daredevil a synesthete
« on: July 17, 2015, 01:36:44 am »
I ran out of things to watch and have started watching Marvels Daredevil.
At one point they were talking about how he manages to sense everything, and his response is how he ties all the sense together from small hints all his sense give him. He mentions that the world looks like its on fire. Metaphorically speaking.

However, I cant help but feel that his ability to "see" with his other senses is because he has synesthesia allowing him to actually process the sound and tactile information with his visual cortex.

Just a random thought, what are you opinions?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Is Daredevil a synesthete
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 01:03:07 pm »
Ok so you're aware of the origin of Daredevil?  How he went blind when some chemicals splashed into his face while saving old man Stan Lee?  Ok so it's like this.  When a person loses a sense, the brain kinda overtunes the rest of them to hyperdrive.  So the chemicals he got splashed with, put his senses into plaid.  He "sees" by a form of echolocation due to how acute his sense of hearing is.  Kinda like bats in a way.

Ironbite-though I'm not sure what a synesthete is so I'm going with no.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »
He "sees" by a form of echolocation due to how acute his sense of hearing is.  Kinda like bats in a way.

Not exactly like that, in the Netflix version. There it's all his senses working together, smelling people and sensing small changes in air currents and the like, though I think there's all some echolocation going on.

The world on fire thing is sort of like synaesthesia, I guess? Not quite the same thing, but close enough.
Σא

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:46:58 pm »
Ok so you're aware of the origin of Daredevil?  How he went blind when some chemicals splashed into his face while saving old man Stan Lee?  Ok so it's like this.  When a person loses a sense, the brain kinda overtunes the rest of them to hyperdrive.  So the chemicals he got splashed with, put his senses into plaid.  He "sees" by a form of echolocation due to how acute his sense of hearing is.  Kinda like bats in a way.

Ironbite-though I'm not sure what a synesthete is so I'm going with no.

Synesthesia is, in a nutshell, your brain processing something in an alternate way.  A cook, for example, might taste something and think "this needs more green".  To them, it makes sense.  Someone else might find it weird that they're throwing in, say, blanched kale into a meat-heavy stir-fry.

A musician might parse the world in terms of music notes, or hear the hum of everyday life as a certain kind of sound.  A car horn sounds completely different to them.  A string being played on a cello makes the world sing to them.

That's the kinda thing you have to deal with as a synesthetic.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 09:58:50 pm »
And you'd be astonished at how many famous people have it.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »
Personally, I find it absolutely fascinating.

That is to say, not in an 'oh, you're disabled, the world must be so strange to you' way, but a 'you percieve the world in a manner that is entirely different.  What must that be like?'.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:35:06 pm »
No, he's not. He's a victim of the Red Bull Coffee mistake.

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen