Author Topic: US exports its gun anarchy to everyone else  (Read 3603 times)

Online dpareja

• The Beast
US exports its gun anarchy to everyone else
« on: July 21, 2018, 04:38:34 am »
https://www.wired.com/story/a-landmark-legal-shift-opens-pandoras-box-for-diy-guns/

Cody Wilson, who posted blueprints for a 3D-printed pistol online five years ago and was promptly ordered to take it down for violating US export controls and then sued the US government over it, has won his case.

The Trump administration has settled, conceding to his argument that this is a First Amendment issue and paying some of his legal bills.

As a result, Wilson and his company, Defense Distributed, will now be able to post such blueprints online, not just for Wilson's pistol but for other types of guns.

Defense Distributed also sells a product known as the "Ghost Gunner", which allows people to mill and carve gun parts out of aluminum under computer control, which is more durable than the plastic used in 3D printers.

Wilson also has a tombstone with the words "AMERICAN GUN CONTROL" in the Defense Distributed library, which he intends to bury under a tree outside the company's buildings.

Oh, and the guns that are made by this process have no serial numbers, rendering them effectively untraceable, not just by US authorities, but by any authorities in any country where these plans can be accessed, undermining all countries' attempts at gun control.

So, thanks, America. You've just said, sure, let's export our gun anarchy to everyone else, too, so they too can know what it's like to have mass shootings so often most of them don't make it beyond the local papers.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: US exports its gun anarchy to everyone else
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 04:45:22 am »
You know, this Cody Wilson is one guy I really hope gets killed in some gruesome, horribly ironic way.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 05:05:34 am »
The technology for it exists. If these guys hadn't done it, someone else would've.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:14:23 am »
There's a difference between "anyone could have done it" and "since anyone can do it, it should be legal."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 10:19:53 am »
I'm also assuming a plastic printable gun can't be detected by any metal detectors as well?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 10:42:24 am »
I'm also assuming a plastic printable gun can't be detected by any metal detectors as well?

Maybe. I recall reading about this some time ago (maybe around 2013 when Wilson first announced his accomplishment) and I think at least then he still needed a metal firing pin. Maybe they've managed to improve on that since.

The aluminum gun (which is Defense Distributed's main product now, or rather the machine that makes such guns is) would presumably set off metal detectors.

I wonder if other countries (that do have actual gun control legislation) will look to sue Wilson, his company, and anyone else who posts this stuff online out of existence.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 10:59:27 am »
If a few countries can sue Valve so hard they got rid of CS:GO gambling lootboxes, then I'd be willing to bet they can do the same to this cockend.  Hell, they could prolly do it even more easily, since I somehow doubt that he has Valve's standing army of lawyers and exceptionally deep pockets.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 11:33:44 am »
If the gun is meant to be fired more than once it will have a metal barrel that can be detected. If it uses conventional ammo it can be detected though being small it is easier to smuggle. You could bring powder and lead balls and then use matches or repurposed electric wires and batteries to detonate it but at that point you are going through so much trouble for one or two shots that you might as well build a bomb in your underwear or something and be more effective in whatever you are trying to do.

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Online dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 11:44:18 am »
If a few countries can sue Valve so hard they got rid of CS:GO gambling lootboxes, then I'd be willing to bet they can do the same to this cockend.  Hell, they could prolly do it even more easily, since I somehow doubt that he has Valve's standing army of lawyers and exceptionally deep pockets.

Well, they can do that, but the genie's out of the bottle now. (Really it was when Wilson first posted this stuff online, and even though he got slapped with export controls because he did it in a high-profile way, the article notes that there are others who have just stayed quieter about it.) Wilson's intent, as near as I can tell, was to make effective gun control, anywhere, next to impossible, and whatever happens after this, he's probably succeeded. It's not like loot boxes where you can ban them; no country or group thereof is going to be able to keep these blueprints from circulating.

Another thing to add to the list of reasons why the rest of the world might have a case for invading and conquering the US (climate change denial being chief among them).

If the gun is meant to be fired more than once it will have a metal barrel that can be detected. If it uses conventional ammo it can be detected though being small it is easier to smuggle. You could bring powder and lead balls and then use matches or repurposed electric wires and batteries to detonate it but at that point you are going through so much trouble for one or two shots that you might as well build a bomb in your underwear or something and be more effective in whatever you are trying to do.

Sometimes all you need is a few shots. It probably isn't anywhere close yet to enabling even something like Columbine (yeah, that's how small Columbine was compared to what we see today with the massacres in Norway, Las Vegas, or Orlando), though apparently there are blueprints for an AR-15-like weapon, but for random havoc and panic, or a targeted murder (jilted lover perhaps), one shot per gun might be all you need, and even if you abandon the gun(s) at the scene, as long as you've been careful in your handling, there's no way to trace it to you--that's what really makes this dangerous for gun control efforts.

And Wilson said that that's what he wanted to do--kill the revitalized gun control movement in the US that we see gaining strength after Parkland by making "common sense gun control" impossible, which will incidentally also have the effect of making every other country's gun control laws basically impossible to enforce.

Basically, your right to life (Art. 3, Universal Declaration of Human Rights) is less important than everyone's "right" to have untraceable, possibly undetectable, guns (not found in any such document except for a misinterpreted provision in the world's most outdated Constitution).

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 11:52:15 am »
There's a difference between "anyone could have done it" and "since anyone can do it, it should be legal."

This so hard.  What you're replying to might be the daftest type of "reasoning" there is.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 12:36:12 pm »

This so hard.  What you're replying to might be the daftest type of "reasoning" there is.

I didn't say it's a good thing. I said it's inevitable regardless of legality. I'm not sure where you guys got the former from in the first place.

Offline Wurdulac

• Neonate
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:57:42 pm »

And Wilson said that that's what he wanted to do--kill the revitalized gun control movement in the US that we see gaining strength after Parkland by making "common sense gun control" impossible, which will incidentally also have the effect of making every other country's gun control laws basically impossible to enforce.

But...why?  This is some cartoon villain level shit here.  What sort of asshole...just...*WHY*?
Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 03:21:58 pm »
Welcome to the right wing mentality.  It's no longer about doing right it's all about "pwing the libtards and drinking the liberal tears".

Ironbite-in other words ruining the world because they couldn't get their way.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 01:20:07 am »
The only recourse is to make downloading and creation of your own gun punished cruelly and unusually. This cannot be done here. It can be done elsewhere.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 08:40:00 pm »
The only recourse is to make downloading and creation of your own gun punished cruelly and unusually. This cannot be done here. It can be done elsewhere.

Ah, yes, let's up the tyranny levels on people making their own weapons. That can't backfire horribly or anything.
Σא