Author Topic: Remains of 55 bodies found near former Florida reform school  (Read 1437 times)

wrightway

Remains of 55 bodies found near former Florida reform school
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:53 am »
And they're searching for more.

http://news.yahoo.com/remains-55-bodies-found-near-former-florida-reform-232708887.html

"Locating 55 burials is a significant finding, which opens up a whole new set of questions for our team," said Kimmerle.

"All of the analyses needed to answer these important questions are yet to be done, but it is our intention to answer as many of these questions as possible."

Research will continue in areas adjacent to the graveyard, dubbed "boot hill" by school officials and inmates a century ago.

What I'd like to know is why did it take Florida so long to shut this hellhole down?

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Re: Remains of 55 bodies found near former Florida reform school
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:09 am »
What I'd like to know is why did it take Florida so long to shut this hellhole down?
You answered your own question.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 03:12:26 am »
This is actually kinda old news, at least for me.  It first made the local papers a few months ago. o_O

Marianna's about 20-30 miles away from me.
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:29 am »
Oh, it happened EARLY LAST CENTURY. Well those 1800's were a pretty awful time for minorities and slaves in particular in USA and...

Oh wait, last century was the 1900's...

So kids were sent to that school and just disappeared? Were there any investigations?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

wrightway

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 03:25:12 am »
They just closed it down in 2011. This hellhole was open very, very recently.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 05:38:01 am »
I wonder how they died. the number seems frightfully high for accidental deaths caused by extreme brutality. I would guess at a targeted killings. I wonder how the school managed to explain the disappearances to the families. I wonder if there might have been a serial killer at that school. It is frightening to contemplate that it was an institutional and organized killing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:59:29 am »
Oh man! The fact that the place was in operation just a few years ago makes it creepier.

If it was a century or two ago, we could chalk it up to folks being backwards or whatever. It's still horrifying but it would be seen as a product of a far different era.

But THIS place closed RECENTLY, which carries the implication that many of the deaths were recent! These HAD to have been kids who had no loving family or something for this stuff to happen! Someone would have to have said something in the mean time!

55+ KIDS! This must have been one horrifying reform school & reform schools are pretty rotten to begin with!

I guess the parents of each dead kid just assumed that the passing of their youngster was a tragic accident & isolated incident, not knowing that a bunch of other kiddos were dying the same way.

EDIT: I now read the story. The deaths were likely from the last century, it's the Florida Panhandle bordering Alabama & Georgia (where everything is 'The Deep South') and people did suspect stuff but the kids & their families were black. For obvious reasons nothing was done back in the day because...well...Florida, Black victims & families, Jim Crow, authorities are in on it, etc. I'd imagine that most of the deaths were from that era.

It's a horrific tale of bigotry & injustice and I hope that there some semblance of closure or justice done or something. Seeing that this is a state run by Pluto the mutant & noted for the Martin/Zimmerman case & over-zealous state troopers, it's bound to be hard.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:08:20 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »
Oh, and to add to the "fun" facts about Jackson County (Hi!), from what my parents have told me, there were still "White Only" signs posted around town when my mother moved up here from Orlando when she was a teenager.

This was the mid-1970s.

More to the point, I'm tempted to drive over there and ask the people, "What the FUCK took you so long to investigate this?!"
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 12:30:29 pm »
I really hope there aren't many cases like this.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 02:39:00 pm »
Maybe not too many state-run institutions were ever as bad as this one was, but today there are untold numbers of abusive, neglectful private youth "rehabilitation" sites around the country.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.