Author Topic: What Would it Take to Convert/Deconvert You?  (Read 22301 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: What Would it Take to Convert/Deconvert You?
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 02:12:08 am »
It would take convincing evidence that either the Torah is false, or a good explanation for how the New Testament or Koran superseded it.

Attempting to convert me to a faith that believed in magic would also have to come with convincing evidence of magic.

I do have an interest in some faiths other than Judaism - Hussite Christianity for one, and neopaganism for another.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 04:34:37 am »
Isn't the Torah basically just the Old Testament? 'Cause the Old Testament has that ark thing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:29 pm »
Isn't the Torah basically just the Old Testament? 'Cause the Old Testament has that ark thing.

The Torah is the first five books of the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. According to the traditional Orthodox belief, they were directly authored by G-d, and transcribed by Moses. The Torah contains all 613 Jewish commandments.

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:42 pm »
So yes it contains the Ark thing.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 12:37:41 am »
When I say "magic" I mean "any supernatural forces not directly attributable to G-d". Part of my monotheism is that G-d alone can abrogate the laws of science.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 01:37:01 am »
So the rules are that the Home Team is supposed to stand up to scrutiny, & the Away Team is supposed to show that it doesn't, but the Home Team Captain can cheat?

Offline majingojira

• Neonate
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2013, 06:57:32 pm »
According to Rapture Ready, the only time that the world will receive direct and clear evidence that God exists is when the rapture occurs, but by which time it will be too late, and even if you convert you will be stuck on Earth for seven years to be tormented by the tribulations sent from Heaven while being stalked and persecuted by the Beast.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2013, 12:11:34 pm »
According to Rapture Ready, the only time that the world will receive direct and clear evidence that God exists is when the rapture occurs, but by which time it will be too late, and even if you convert you will be stuck on Earth for seven years to be tormented by the tribulations sent from Heaven while being stalked and persecuted by the Beast.

Pretty convenient that God won't reveal himself until it's too late.  You'd think God would want people to know he exists. 

wrightway

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:10 pm »

Pretty convenient that God won't reveal himself until it's too late.  You'd think God would want people to know he exists.

This makes as much sense as a rapturite argument, but is more entertaining.

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with the nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them. The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.
Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen it to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.
The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."
"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."
"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets killed on the next zebra crossing.
Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God.
Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.[/]

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 03:47:59 pm »
A lobotomy.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline majingojira

• Neonate
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2013, 02:38:51 am »

And miss the opportunity to see the looks on unbelievers' faces when they are all proven wrong? You think too highly of BibleGod. He's emotionally still in middle-school.