Author Topic: Bee venom kills HIV. Let's put it in vaginas!  (Read 4338 times)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Bee venom kills HIV. Let's put it in vaginas!
« on: March 08, 2013, 09:58:08 pm »
No, seriously.

Earlier this week we reported on the remarkable news that a Mississippi-born baby was cured of HIV. Now, as if to show the disease that it's days are truly numbered, researchers from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis have shown that nanoparticles infused with a toxic bee venom can kill HIV. The researchers hope to take this new compound and develop a vaginal gel that can prevent the further spread of the disease.

For the experiment, Wickline's team prepared free melittin and melittin-loaded nanoparticles and set them against various strains of HIV (CXCR4 and CCR5 in particular). The researchers then showed that melittin, when delivered in these large and free accumulations, can make life miserable for the disease.

Moreover, these melittin-loaded nanoparticles left the surrounding cells unharmed, which bodes well for the development of a topical vaginal virucide. But this didn't happen by accident. The nanoparticles were endowed with a kind of filter that prevents healthy cells from coming into contact with the toxin. HIV, on the other hand, is small and it sifts through these filters, thus exposing it to the toxin.

This is thrilling, fascinating, and mildly terrifying. And inconvenient for people who are allergic to bee stings. And probably not going to go well after the bees go extinct from climate change, but y'know... one step at a time.

SCIENCE!
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Art Vandelay

Re: Bee venom kills HIV. Let's put it in vaginas!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:15:47 pm »
Well, vaginas are the best place to store bees.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:22:22 pm »
That's right ladies, time to stuff your vaginas with bees!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:03 pm »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 11:46:02 pm »
I don't know if this would classify as thinking outside the box... or inside the "box".
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:26:55 am »
Do I have to link to that one story again?

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 04:25:03 am »
That's good news if it is true.

But aren't bee colonies diminishing every year at alarming rates? That's bad for this bit of good news as well as the human food supplies for the future.

0_0
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 05:42:30 am »

But aren't bee colonies diminishing every year at alarming rates? That's bad for this bit of good news as well as the human food supplies for the future.

0_0

But if this was a effective cure for HIV, wouldn't people then make it a priority to save the bees?

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 06:36:40 am »
I swear I hear these
  • kills HIV/cancer stories all the time and I never hear anything about them ever again.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 11:52:16 am »
I just hope that people won't go on a crusade about how "invasive" this is to women if the use of this shit becomes more widespread.  I wouldn't be surprised if some did, considering how stupid people can get.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:20:11 pm »

0_0

But if this was a effective cure for HIV, wouldn't people then make it a priority to save the bees?

Saving bee colonies should be a priority anyway, since they are vital to our naturally grown food supplies, but especially if this HIV cure thing turns out to bee true. I see many articles complaining about the problem but I don't actually know if anyone has tried to do anything about it yet. Which is unfortunate.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 01:38:04 pm »
I just hope that people won't go on a crusade about how "invasive" this is to women if the use of this shit becomes more widespread.  I wouldn't be surprised if some did, considering how stupid people can get.

To be fair, some might think this involves shoving bees into a vagina, and that can be pretty invasive.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 06:08:33 pm »
OKAY FINE I'LL LINK TO IT AGAIN.

Warning: NSFW and may cause sympathy pains.

Offline Eats Babies

• Neonate
  • I'm 12 and what is this?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:09:09 am »
First thing that popped into my head:

This is very interesting though, figures that bees are threatened at the moment...

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:59:56 am »
How long before some fundie says that this will encourage risky sex?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!