Author Topic: #TheDailyShowGoneTooFar  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
#TheDailyShowGoneTooFar
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:14 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-daily-show-one-direction-terrorism-20140926-htmlstory.html

One Direction fans are a famously passionate bunch, known for strenuously defending the floppy-haired boy band from any and all critics.  Now they're directing their outrage at an unlikely target: "The Daily Show."

In a segment Tuesday night about the proliferation of terrorist groups in the Middle East, correspondent Jessica Williams joked about a new "supergroup" consisting of "one member each from ISIS, El Nusra, Al Qaeda, Hamas, One Direction and the Zetas drug cartel."

Though it was an off-hand quip that played off the absurd idea of the pop group being tied to terrorism, it has Directioners more worked up than Harry Styles' relationship with Taylor Swift.

They point to the fact that one of the members of the group, the dreamy Zayn Malik, is of Pakistani descent and is a practicing Muslim -- one who was once even accused of "pimping Islam" to his admirers by a blogger on the far right. 

Although it's highly unlikely "The Daily Show" writers were actually suggesting that Malik -- or any of the One Direction gang -- is actually involved in Islamic extremism, the bit has triggered a viral  backlash reminiscent of the #CancelColbert controversy that erupted this spring following a "Colbert Report" segment lampooning Asian stereotypes.

Fans have registered their outrage on Twitter, Instagram and other social networks using the hashtags #TheDailyShowGoneTooFar, #ZaynSavesNotKills, and #ZaynDefenseSquad, all of which were trending as of Friday morning.

I don’t give a shit about One Direction, but their fans….what in the name of Christ is wrong with their fans?!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Re: #TheDailyShowGoneTooFar
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:44:42 pm »
Young teenage girls, that's what. Most annoying creatures in the universe.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:06 pm »
Young teenagers, that's what. Most annoying creatures in the universe.
FTFY

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 10:51:11 pm »
Young teenage lizards in heat, that's what. Most annoying creatures in the universe.
FTFY
Double FTFY.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »
They're just butthurt because Zayn did 9/11.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:12 pm »
*checks his watch, takes a drink, goes back to reading Reddit*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:22:53 pm »
Hmm. Its like scientologists, but with pimples.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:40:07 pm »
If I may paraphrase One Direction themselves. You don't know you're drooling morons. That's what makes you drooling morons.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:08 am »
Amazing...simply amazing.

Ironbite-they think this will do anything but make John Stewart giggle like a schoolgirl.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 03:29:18 am »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 04:07:37 am »
So, I searched tags on tumblr, and:

ohn Stewart did know about zayns religion. He had to know other wise why would he ever even bring up one direction and terrorism? You don’t have to be a 12 year old girl to know how to respect people. how shitty of a World do we live in to know People care more About money than Respect. It’s beyond fucked up considering zayn delt with racism and terrorist comments his whole life. It’s not even about a boy band. It’s about being a human being.

They dismiss us as a joke because they can’t contemplate the amount of power we have and how much we can change the world with it.

(click to show/hide)

I’M STILL PISSED. SO, IF ZAYN’S NOT FAMOUS, YOU WOULDN’T DARE TO APOLOGIZE? IS THAT IT? AND IF YOU DIDN’T KNOW THE BAND’S RELIGION, WHY WOULD YOU EVEN INCLUDE THE BAND’S NAME IN THE LIST OF THOSE YOU MENTION AS TERRORIST?

Almost every place I've seen this is reporting it like the Daily Show targeted Zayne specifically, even though, from what I've just read, the joke didn't mention any band member by name.  It's all a bunch of conjecturing, and apparently the One Direction fans are unaware that the band has a been the butt of a ton of jokes for a long time.  And I saw a comment somewhere else that pointed out that automatically assuming Zayn was the target of the joke because he's Pakistani is, itself, racist.

Also, someone claimed that, once again, racism against Native Americans has gone invisible by sjws, who don't give enough of a shit about them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:23:23 am by Iosa the Invincible »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 04:39:36 am »
Power to change the world huh?  I see someone thinks tumblr actually does shit.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 05:16:15 am »
How laughable - these pimply little fangirls think angrily blogging will solve anything.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 12:00:40 pm »
If it was a Muslim thing, why would they even mention the Zetas cartel? Or am I being too naive by expecting them to both read past "One Direction" and know who the Zetas are?
Σא

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »
Huh. You know, I didn't think there was that much overlap between people who watch The Daily Show and people who listen to One Direction o.0

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!