Author Topic: Channel Awesome Drama  (Read 9938 times)

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
Channel Awesome Drama
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:24:08 pm »
For the past few weeks twitter and youtube have been blowing up with the exodus of Channel Awesome producers like Todd in the Shadows and Linkara (two of their most popular members) this is the 2nd or 3rd time in the past decade.

Currently the guy who does those cool "Down the Rabbit Hole" videos is streaming it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yIjg17A6Oo

(edit: stream is up and archived, it's 5 hours long)

He's reading the google doc Obscurus Lupa, Marzgirl, and Lindsay Ellis put together of various complaints. You can read the entire 69 (almost 70) pages worth of shit that Michaud and the Walker brothers have pulled at the link below
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WZFkR__B3Mk9EYQglvislMUx9HWvWhOaBP820UBa4dA/preview#heading=h.7dq590sf6gmz

There's also a fan doc & the contributors doc should link to it
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:29:53 am by Kanzenkankaku »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Channel Awesome Drama
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:38:53 pm »
As best as I can tell, here are the producers that have left Channel Awesome in the wake of #ChangeTheChannel, in no particular order (I was going to do popularity, but then I looked at their YouTube numbers and saw that it's basically impossible for me to determine that order):

Linkara
Todd in the Shadows
Mike J
Film Brain
The Rap Critic
Diamanda Hagan
The Omega
SF Debris
Suede

And considering that Linkara, Todd in the Shadows and The Rap Critic were a few of their biggest names by a long shot, this should have lit a fire under Channel Awesome's ass. And what's the official response? "We regret that you feel that way." Such a fucking bullshit non-apology.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 12:13:05 am »
Meanwhile, in the dark hellscape of a Fourth World...

Darkseid, or as we know him, Mike Michaud, raged at the defections and escapes from his world. "Was it you, Kalibak, who could not impede their escape?"

The cat-like imbecile shook his head, trembling in fear.

Granny Goodness assuaged her dark lord's rage, "Do not worry, sire, I have a foolproof plan to drag those smelly carcasses back to Channel Awepokolips."
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 01:21:33 am »
I used to like watching their videos but then got bored for some reason.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 01:44:33 am »
Doug's overall quality seemed to have declined over time. He tried to do stuff other than Nostalgia Critic for a while but people liked NC better than his other stuff and after the revival there isn't as much heart in it now.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 09:36:10 am »
The problem with Demo Reel, his NC replacement, is that he expected everyone to follow his lead in retiring their personas.  He had no clue that people wanted to continue to make money with the shows they had established.

Ironbite-also Mike Ellis needs to be hunted down and beaten with wet noodles.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 08:16:42 pm »
I read all of it.  Including the fan doc.

MOTHER OF HELLFIRE, WHAT THE FLAMING FUCK?  Say what you will about the shitshow that was Spoony's exodus (he acted like a cunt, there is absolutely zero denying that), but the difference between him and Doug is that at least Spoony god damned learned from his fuck-up and fucking apologized to the wronged parties.  From what I've read, Doug Walker is a man who let his e-fame get to his head in a serious way, becoming either willfully ignorant of the many abuses of his "owner," at best, or out-and-out complicit in the systemic abuse of creator and fan alike, at worst.

This is sad, because I kinda like Nostalgia Critic.  Clipless shows (I'm sorry, but his skits blow and I almost always skip them) and whatever the fuck he was doing between the death and rebirth of NC aside, a lot of his stuff is pretty good and enjoyable.

Michaud needs to be thrown off the top floor of the Sears Tower after having a run-in with an especially angry Frank Castle, and the Walkers need to be beaten with a walker until they get their egos in check and their heads removed from the depths of their colons.  I see why people are jumping ship and, honestly, I don't fucking blame them.  Hell, I almost want to setup a viewbot for them just so they can get their numbers up stupidly high because, and I'm being completely 100% honest here, Mike Michaud and the Brothers Walker can eat a bag of salted gorilla scrotums.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 04:18:28 pm »
*ahem*

You may add the following producers to the list of people who have left the site in the wake of the controversy:

Nash Bozard
The Dom
Rantasmo (he left earlier, but I didn't notice until now)
Some Jerk with a Camera
The Last Angry Geek
Calluna
Rocked Reviews
MUD2MMO (who also left a while back and probably not in response to the controversy, but for other reasons)
Il Neige

And I'm pretty sure this isn't everyone. They're hemorrhaging contributors and, save Doug Walker, the only big names that haven't left are Angry Joe (who has almost three times more YouTube subs than Channel Awesome), Guru Larry (who also has way more subs than Channel Awesome itself) and Brad Jones (who has stated that he has no intention of leaving). Also, the planned 10th anniversary special has been canceled.

EDIT: Chris Stuckmann left last night. Very quietly.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:23:27 pm by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »
Brad not leaving is somewhat disappointing. I like the guy, but if he decides to stay, I might have to not watch his stuff anymore.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 04:28:23 pm »
I'll still watch Brad on YouTube. Since their only payment is a hosting hub (which is so crap that I had stopped regularly visiting it years ago since it was just easier to follow people on their own sites and YouTube), it's not like watching anyone still on Channel Awesome will give money to Channel Awesome.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 05:13:13 pm »
I get that. I really do. But if he's gonna tacitly support them by staying, I'm done with him. Anyone who remains involved with them after all of this is just off of my list of people to watch.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 05:38:20 pm »
And that is a fair stance. At the end of the day, we can only make our own decisions here.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 05:52:36 pm »
It is amazing the amount of just plain bad decision making that's going on with this.

Ironbite-not the least of which is that "apology" they sent out.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 06:10:01 pm »
The last straw for a number of the latest wave was that the only communication they got since the Not So Awesome document was released was... the cancellation of the 10th anniversary special. So yeah, as everyone expected, looks like nothing is going to change. I wouldn't be surprised if all they have left by the time the dust settles are Brad Jones and the producers that barely pay attention to Channel Awesome since they're in a position where they're just as well off without.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »
Yeah, all they have left are Joe, Brad, and Doug. And, honestly, I've not really watched Doug's stuff since 2015