Author Topic: Detroit to shut down half it's power grid  (Read 7284 times)

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Detroit to shut down half it's power grid
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 01:20:01 am »
Detroit must be an urban explorers paradise.

And that would extend to the surrounding areas, as well.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tH2jFaFW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tH2jFaFW4</a>

warning don't read the comments, because there are a lot of rage worthy ones.
I DO WHAT I WANT!!
A democrat utopia and the spoils that remain from unions and liberals ! Whup...there it is !

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 11:20:30 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tH2jFaFW4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tH2jFaFW4</a>

I DO WHAT I WANT!!
A democrat utopia and the spoils that remain from unions and liberals ! Whup...there it is !

Yeah, killing the manufacturing sector had nothing to do with it, it was all unions.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »
Silly, don’t you know it was the unions having the gall to ask for fair pay and working conditions that killed the manufacturing sector? ::)
-A Pen Name

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 07:28:49 pm »

I DO WHAT I WANT!!

That's not that bad given that I've see a whole lot worse blaming teh blacks, and teh welfare people

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 07:36:55 pm »
Shame the state cant help with moving.  I mean who needs electricity to live am I right?  Just kidding

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »
Damn freeloaders. Livin’ it up with their fancy refrigerators.
-A Pen Name

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:18 pm »
Why can't they even use the right word for the party? It's DemocratIC, dumbshits. Has been since 1780.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 04:31:29 am »

I DO WHAT I WANT!!

That's not that bad given that I've see a whole lot worse blaming teh blacks, and teh welfare people

Obviously the problem is high taxes for corporations and the rich.  We should cut taxes immediately. That should fix it.

/the answer is ALWAYS cut taxes. 
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Flutters

• Neonate
  • フラッタース
    • The Daily Song
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 06:03:37 am »
So this is my first post here~  Lemme try to make it a solid one~

I'm a traveler, wanderer and I have a close friend who once said, "You're Che if he grew up in America in the 60s."  In the summer of 2004, my travels led me to two cities in Michigan:  Greenville and Manistee~  While these are not particularly close to Detroit, Flint or any of the industrial capitals of the state (on the other side of the state, in fact), I quickly learned a few things about how one corporation changed not just one metropolitan area, but a whole state~

In Greenville, I spent much time chatting with a lady who ran the local Habitat for Humanity branch~  She said that she had many family members who worked for General Motors~  She said that Greenville had suffered horribly due to the move to Tijuana~  I was a bit taken aback and asked her how this move affected areas outside of Flint and Detroit~  She said that Michigan was essentially owned by General Motors and the whole state was completely dependent on them~

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNmHPjkxdk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNmHPjkxdk</a>

Anypony who has seen this film knows what GM's truckin' to Tijuana did to Flint~  Imagine this happening in every other city in Michigan also~  My mind was reeling after the talks I had with this lady~

Fast forward to a city between Manistee and Greenville; somewhere on a highway between the two~  I volunteered at a nursing home and went to a local McDonald's for lunch between my shift times~  There, I met a young lady (couldn't have been a day over 26-27 years old) and she was a custodian.  She told me how she once worked for GM~  She told me that she had two kids~  She told me that she had been working at McDonald's since the exodus from Flint with three other part-time positions and still couldn't even afford a babysitter...~  She told me that just about every person I would meet in her current line of work (custodians, fast food employees, burger-flippers, cashiers, etcetera) were in the same boat as her...~

I came home from Michigan with an appreciation for a state full of hurting yet resilient people and an amazing amount of power to look at the impossible in the eye--after it kicks them to the ground--and get right back up to stand up to it~

This thread brings all these memories back~  To talk about shutting down parts of power grids due to lack of occupants...I dunno what to make of this, either~  It is my hope that whatever the powers that be do here, they will do it with the happiness and the benefit of the people of Detroit and Michigan kept in mind~  I would be most concerned if the powers that be were privately owned, but the article is vague, only stating that "Detroit Works" is the name of the org~  Orgs can get money from many places and since this is America, I wouldn't be surprised if they got some private money...~  This is a precarious situation, indeed...~

I see some ponies chatting about alternative energy~  I agree, it would be wonderful to use alternative energy; it really needs more research and much more implementation~  Sadly, in our current capitalist system this all costs massive amounts of money~  Michigan doesn't have much money anymore 'cos GM and they have to find some way to consolidate what they do have while keeping the balance with the people~

It would behoove us to watch and see where this goes~
よろしくね。  ^-^

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 06:27:59 am »

I'm a traveler, wanderer and I have a close friend who once said, "You're Che if he grew up in America in the 60s."  In the summer of 2004, my travels led me to two cities in Michigan:  Greenville and Manistee~  While these are not particularly close to Detroit, Flint or any of the industrial capitals of the state (on the other side of the state, in fact), I quickly learned a few things about how one corporation changed not just one metropolitan area, but a whole state~

In Greenville, I spent much time chatting with a lady who ran the local Habitat for Humanity branch~  She said that she had many family members who worked for General Motors~  She said that Greenville had suffered horribly due to the move to Tijuana~  I was a bit taken aback and asked her how this move affected areas outside of Flint and Detroit~  She said that Michigan was essentially owned by General Motors and the whole state was completely dependent on them~

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNmHPjkxdk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNmHPjkxdk</a>

Anypony who has seen this film knows what GM's truckin' to Tijuana did to Flint~  Imagine this happening in every other city in Michigan also~  My mind was reeling after the talks I had with this lady~

Fast forward to a city between Manistee and Greenville; somewhere on a highway between the two~  I volunteered at a nursing home and went to a local McDonald's for lunch between my shift times~  There, I met a young lady (couldn't have been a day over 26-27 years old) and she was a custodian.  She told me how she once worked for GM~  She told me that she had two kids~  She told me that she had been working at McDonald's since the exodus from Flint with three other part-time positions and still couldn't even afford a babysitter...~  She told me that just about every person I would meet in her current line of work (custodians, fast food employees, burger-flippers, cashiers, etcetera) were in the same boat as her...~

I came home from Michigan with an appreciation for a state full of hurting yet resilient people and an amazing amount of power to look at the impossible in the eye--after it kicks them to the ground--and get right back up to stand up to it~

This thread brings all these memories back~  To talk about shutting down parts of power grids due to lack of occupants...I dunno what to make of this, either~  It is my hope that whatever the powers that be do here, they will do it with the happiness and the benefit of the people of Detroit and Michigan kept in mind~  I would be most concerned if the powers that be were privately owned, but the article is vague, only stating that "Detroit Works" is the name of the org~  Orgs can get money from many places and since this is America, I wouldn't be surprised if they got some private money...~  This is a precarious situation, indeed...~

I see some ponies chatting about alternative energy~  I agree, it would be wonderful to use alternative energy; it really needs more research and much more implementation~  Sadly, in our current capitalist system this all costs massive amounts of money~  Michigan doesn't have much money anymore 'cos GM and they have to find some way to consolidate what they do have while keeping the balance with the people~

Consider yourself Fuck Yeah'd.  Also:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ahEitkU-Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4ahEitkU-Y</a>

Pinkie Pie is fuckken metal. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:31:43 am by tempus »
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 10:13:34 am »

That is awesome brohoof

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
Hiya, newbie.  There's a pony thread in the Entertainment and Television board, if you'd like to join us, and an impressive first post.  Well done.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
Yeah, I've been saying it for years, Michigan set the Big 3 as their financial backbone and had no plan should the car market ever change.

On a sort of positive note, Vlasic is staying in Michigan. We won the plant competition, though the plant in Milsboro, Delaware is now going to close by year's end.
Honestly if Vlasic left, the whole Lapeer and surrounding areas would be fucked
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball