Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 274128 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2016, 12:05:29 am »
I pointed out to someone in Facebook that the news article he linked had a flawed analysis of the study it discussed. In the following discussion a friend of his made this interesting statement (translated from Finnish):

[My name], studies have been published forever. Scientific community evaluates them in one way or other. Nowadays peer review has entered the humanities not least because it is part of the scoring and funding system.

Issues about society and for example history are luckily still published as just books. Peer review is not always a superior apparatus. In my opinion [it] fits better to natural sciences due to their exact nature.

I started this particular discussion trying to keep it very limited and have no energy to lengthy and involved debates. Sigh. Now if I want to make my point clear I have to first establish the necessity of peer review for someone who is apparently a prime example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Edit: Fuck. I wonder why I always pick up my grammatical errors after only after posting despite using the preview.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:08:59 am by SCarpelan »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »
Spoilered because I still don't know how to easily adjust the size of images.
(click to show/hide)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2016, 03:42:47 pm »
Spoilered because I still don't know how to easily adjust the size of images.
(click to show/hide)

Think this fits better in WoSJ.

Also, have you tried tinypic?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:14 am »
I think the final reply said it best: "We are done being friends now."

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2016, 09:21:51 pm »
Awaiting a certain angry post...

Well in my opinion, this shows just how clique-ish some of the parts of the fat acceptance movement can be. I fully support anyone actively trying to lose weight - its the people who say things like Diabetes / heart disease is NOT connected to weight who are promoting an unhealthy idea.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »

Well in my opinion, this shows just how clique-ish some of the parts of the fat acceptance movement can be. I fully support anyone actively trying to lose weight - its the people who say things like Diabetes / heart disease is NOT connected to weight who are promoting an unhealthy idea.

Dude, you are like, so edgy.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2016, 12:02:31 am »

Dude, you are like, so edgy.

This post kind of strikes me as an utter non sequitur.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:20 am »
I'm indifferent whether people are trying to lose weight or not; nunnamuhbidniss.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2016, 03:58:48 pm »
dear Black Tumblr
You did not come first.
You did not invent the wheel.
You did not invent the concept of eating food.
You are not God’s gift to the universe.
You are not better than white people or any people, period.
Yes, their is prejudice and racism. But you do not have the right to decide what that is.
You are 50 times more racist than any KKK organization I’ve heard crop up in the past few years. At least I don’t hear them talking about lynching black people in the streets, while black Twitter and Tumblr are always talking about how they want to kill all white people violently and repulsively.
MLK would be ashamed of you.
You did not invent dreadlocks. Hair tangles, and people of hundreds of different cultures and races were using it LONG before you idiots even became the sperms that won. Quit acting like you know everything just because seeing the hairstyle on white people rustles your jimmies.
The police are NOT targeting you. Fight against the mentally disturbed officers and leave the decent ones alone.
Your stupid kids couldn’t go to school and eat during the riots. Remember who started those riots? YOU.
When you’re crowding up malls and blocking highways and airports, you are putting black lives and everyone else’s lives in danger. What if there was a black person who needed to get to work or to a business meeting, but couldn’t because you people thought pushing your agenda was more important than letting people go about their lives? What if he got fired because of it?
Your “black lives matter” argument falls a bit flat when you’re inconveniencing the people you’re so violently trying to protect.
Your individual shade of brown does NOT make you fucking superior to someone else with a different shade of brown. You are pathetic.
And finally, your mothers did not carry you for nine months for you to turn into very thing the people of her time fought to prevent.
Fuck. Off.

Some of these statements aren't so bad in and of themselves.  However, implying that black people on Tumblr are some kind of hive mind is unfortunate, to say the least.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #189 on: February 27, 2016, 07:48:37 am »
dear Black Tumblr
You did not come first.
Yes, their is prejudice and racism. But you do not have the right to decide what that is.
You are 50 times more racist than any KKK organization I’ve heard crop up in the past few years. At least I don’t hear them talking about lynching black people in the streets, while black Twitter and Tumblr are always talking about how they want to kill all white people violently and repulsively.
You did not invent dreadlocks. Hair tangles, and people of hundreds of different cultures and races were using it LONG before you idiots even became the sperms that won. Quit acting like you know everything just because seeing the hairstyle on white people rustles your jimmies.
The police are NOT targeting you. Fight against the mentally disturbed officers and leave the decent ones alone.
Your stupid kids couldn’t go to school and eat during the riots. Remember who started those riots? YOU.
When you’re crowding up malls and blocking highways and airports, you are putting black lives and everyone else’s lives in danger. What if there was a black person who needed to get to work or to a business meeting, but couldn’t because you people thought pushing your agenda was more important than letting people go about their lives? What if he got fired because of it?
Your “black lives matter” argument falls a bit flat when you’re inconveniencing the people you’re so violently trying to protect.
Your individual shade of brown does NOT make you fucking superior to someone else with a different shade of brown. You are pathetic.
And finally, your mothers did not carry you for nine months for you to turn into very thing the people of her time fought to prevent.
Fuck. Off.

Some of these statements aren't so bad in and of themselves.  However, implying that black people on Tumblr are some kind of hive mind is unfortunate, to say the least.
Eh, I couldn't give a rats arse who invented dreadlocks but the BLM movement seems to be definitely on to something about the tendency of US police officers to disproportionately shoot black people.

Also, whatever else that individual said they pre judge black kids to be stupid as a given so it renders the rest of their screed moot.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 07:51:09 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Even Then

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2016, 08:40:01 am »
Also, has anyone ever unironically stated that black people invented the concept of eating food?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:25 am »
dear Black Tumblr
You did not come first.
Fuck. Off.

Eh, I couldn't give a rats arse who invented dreadlocks but the BLM movement seems to be definitely on to something about the tendency of US police officers to disproportionately shoot black people.

Also, whatever else that individual said they pre judge black kids to be stupid as a given so it renders the rest of their screed moot.

You're right on both counts.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2016, 02:34:44 pm »
Also, has anyone ever unironically stated that black people invented the concept of eating food?

The first thing that I thought of was the concept that cooking and/or eating certain foods counted as "cultural appropriation", but I don't know if that's what's being referenced here.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2016, 02:42:55 pm »
How is eating food cultural appropriation? If I go to China and eat food with a Chinese family am I appropriating their culture cause I decided to be a diner guest? I swear sometimes the cultural appropriation crowed don't understand how shit works.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #194 on: February 27, 2016, 03:54:52 pm »
How is eating food cultural appropriation? If I go to China and eat food with a Chinese family am I appropriating their culture cause I decided to be a diner guest? I swear sometimes the cultural appropriation crowed don't understand how shit works.
Yes. In fact, if you ever even think about doing a thing that people from a different culture also do, then you're a terrible person, and you should die.