Author Topic: Women at the Wall Constitutional, Jerusalem Court Says  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Women at the Wall Constitutional, Jerusalem Court Says
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:06:48 pm »
Source: http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Historic-victory-in-court-for-Women-of-the-Wall-311127

You may have heard about the long conflict between Women of the Wall, a group that organizes prayer events that the Western Wall while wearing prayer shawls (which are traditionally only used by men), and the backlash by Haredi Jews there. In the past when they pray there, they are almost always harassed and hauled away by the police, because according to a previous interpretation of the law, women praying near men with a prayer shawl is disruptive to the public order.

The Regulations for theProtection of Holy Places to the Jews, dating from 1981, forbid performing religious ceremonies that are “not according to local custom” or that “may hurt the feelings of the worshipers” at the site, where local custom is interpreted to mean Orthodox practice.

These regulations and their interpretation, which a Supreme Court ruling upheld in 2003 and a Justice Ministry directive reiterated in 2005, have been the legal basis for the regular arrests of women who perform Jewish customs at the Western Wall that are usually practiced only by men in Orthodox Judaism.

However, a new court ruling changed all that.

In a groundbreaking ruling, the Jerusalem District Court upheld an earlier decision of the magistrate’s court that women who wear prayer shawls (“tallitot” in Hebrew) at the Western Wall Plaza are not contravening “local custom” or causing a public disturbance, and therefore should not be arrested.

Naturally, the Haredim and other fundie Orthodox men have their panties in a twist because apparently the idea of women having the same religious expression as them is offensive. The "Rabbi of the Wall" plans to contest the ruling. As "Rabbi Maverick" whined,

Quote from: Moshe Averick
A group called “Women of the Wall” is in the news again. For some time now they have been demanding the “right” to conduct feminist prayer services in the women’s section of the Western Wall. This includes the wearing of tallit, tefillin, and reading from a Sefer Torah (Torah Scroll); all of which violate Orthodox Jewish standards and are contrary to normative Orthodox prayer practices. It seems that for these women it is not enough to reach out to God with other Jews at the Wall in a way that does not cause friction and controversy. They are under the delusion that they can best serve God by offending other Jews, engendering disunity and disharmony, and most important of all: getting their pictures in the newspaper and on the nightly news. Who can argue with that logic? Everyone knows that what God wants most of all is for his children is to get good press by kicking up dust and provoking others to anger.

The dumbass himself
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:11:11 pm by Eva-Beatrice »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Women at the Wall Constitutional, Jerusalem Court Says
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:34 pm »
Source: http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Historic-victory-in-court-for-Women-of-the-Wall-311127

You may have heard about the long conflict between Women of the Wall, a group that organizes prayer events that the Western Wall while wearing prayer shawls (which are traditionally only used by men), and the backlash by Haredi Jews there. In the past when they pray there, they are almost always harassed and hauled away by the police, because according to a previous interpretation of the law, women praying near men with a prayer shawl is disruptive to the public order.

The Regulations for theProtection of Holy Places to the Jews, dating from 1981, forbid performing religious ceremonies that are “not according to local custom” or that “may hurt the feelings of the worshipers” at the site, where local custom is interpreted to mean Orthodox practice.

These regulations and their interpretation, which a Supreme Court ruling upheld in 2003 and a Justice Ministry directive reiterated in 2005, have been the legal basis for the regular arrests of women who perform Jewish customs at the Western Wall that are usually practiced only by men in Orthodox Judaism.

However, a new court ruling changed all that.

In a groundbreaking ruling, the Jerusalem District Court upheld an earlier decision of the magistrate’s court that women who wear prayer shawls (“tallitot” in Hebrew) at the Western Wall Plaza are not contravening “local custom” or causing a public disturbance, and therefore should not be arrested.

Naturally, the Haredim and other fundie Orthodox men have their panties in a twist because apparently the idea of women having the same religious expression as them is offensive. The "Rabbi of the Wall" plans to contest the ruling. As "Rabbi Maverick" whined,

Quote from: Moshe Averick
A group called “Women of the Wall” is in the news again. For some time now they have been demanding the “right” to conduct feminist prayer services in the women’s section of the Western Wall. This includes the wearing of tallit, tefillin, and reading from a Sefer Torah (Torah Scroll); all of which violate Orthodox Jewish standards and are contrary to normative Orthodox prayer practices. It seems that for these women it is not enough to reach out to God with other Jews at the Wall in a way that does not cause friction and controversy. They are under the delusion that they can best serve God by offending other Jews, engendering disunity and disharmony, and most important of all: getting their pictures in the newspaper and on the nightly news. Who can argue with that logic? Everyone knows that what God wants most of all is for his children is to get good press by kicking up dust and provoking others to anger.

The dumbass himself

I'M SO GLAD! To the average citizens Israel's credit, they LOATHE those Haredis. Frankly, they should transfer the hate from the Palestinians to the Haredis...or those that impose their ways on the country.

Also, the Not-So-Good-Rabbi talks as if every Jew at the Wall would be offended. YO, RABBI! IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU & YOUR GOOFY SECT!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:34 am »
Wow...that's just amazing.  These people really are disgusted that women are even involved in life aren't they?

Ironbite-if they could reproduce by budding bet some pudding they would.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:45:08 am »
They'd probably do well with some good bud...mellow them the fuck out.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 03:43:08 am »
Its quite funny and sad.
As I was reading the rabbi's argument, I noticed how it sounds almost identical to the same type of argument the religious use against gays or anything else.
its always the same kind of complains and words just the subject changes. It was the first time I really noticed this.

As for these women, I am fairly ambivalent. The part of me that strongly supports women's rights especially in the middle east congratulates them, but the atheist inside me leans more towards whatever floats their boat.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:46 am »
Wow...that's just amazing.  These people really are disgusted that women are even involved in life aren't they?

Ironbite-if they could reproduce by budding bet some pudding they would.

It seems more like they have huge problems with women when they're not doing anything to directly benefit the men.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:04 am »
And in their minds I guess that means breeding or making sammichs.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:37:19 pm »

Or, in their case, working while the men spend all day studying Torah.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:56 pm »

Yeah, they're pretty much expected to be both housewives and working mothers. Insane.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:15:15 am »

Yeah, they're pretty much expected to be both housewives and working mothers. Insane.

This is why I don't like the haredi. Not one bit.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:43:41 am »

This is why I don't like the haredi. Not one bit.

If she's not at home making babies then she's failing at her duty as a mother, but if she's not out of the house making money then she's failing at her duty as a wife. What is it about religious fundamentalism that always seems to set up women for a Catch-22?

As for more Haredi insanity, I saw a photo of an actual poster once that was posted in a Jewish neighborhood (I think it was Crown Heights) that implied Leiby Kletzky's death was the result of women not following "tznius" ("modesty") enough.