Author Topic: "Top Gear" vs. Redneck xians in Alabama  (Read 7466 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: "Top Gear" vs. Redneck xians in Alabama
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:45 pm »
I guessing that those scenes were about as real as the avegage "scripted reality show" but at least they make a pretty funny series.

This was discussed, and the trio have stated publicly that the events were indeed real. Hence why they filmed the hasty cleaning of their cars on a cell phone cam: they didn't have time to actually set up on the side of the road for proper filming.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 02:08:28 am »
I guessing that those scenes were about as real as the avegage "scripted reality show" but at least they make a pretty funny series.

This was discussed, and the trio have stated publicly that the events were indeed real. Hence why they filmed the hasty cleaning of their cars on a cell phone cam: they didn't have time to actually set up on the side of the road for proper filming.

...Double wow.

Suddenly I have more respect for them for risking themselves like that.

And less respect for USA, or those parts of USA at least.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 05:02:43 pm »
Top Gear does admit to using many scripted segments, but they're often rather obviously scripted and are meant for humorous purposes. However, they have been known to go off the rails (such as James May's head injury in the Middle East) and a lot of things happen that isn't really meant to.

The Alabama incident was just something that they hadn't really prepared for. It's not uncommon for them to do silly or stupid things, especially in foreign countries. But they didn't expect American rednecks to be so vicious as to actually call up a posse to attack them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 01:23:19 am »
Isn't that attempted murde-

Oh, hick town, so the sheriff is probably one of many clones of Ted Nugent.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 01:42:32 am »
Yanno, I used to wonder how the family members of well-known serial killers or other publicly crazy people felt. Especially if they, say, share a last name--obviously there are other people in the world with the last names Gacy, Hitler, Hussein, Bundy, and Hubbard**. They must all go through life having to apologize for their kinfolk's behaviour and insisting that not everyone in their family was insane.

But I think it probably feels how I do about other Americans every time I see something like this. I feel like I have to apologize and prove to other people that not all Americans are like that.

**I actually found this video of a performance piece by the great grandson of L Ron Hubbard, whose family took the logical and unfortunately necessary step of changing their name in order to avoid negative associations and, even worse, to escape the cultists of Scientology. It's worth watching.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 06:21:55 am »
Bloody hell!

Glad no one got shot-or worse.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:18 am »
Yanno, I used to wonder how the family members of well-known serial killers or other publicly crazy people felt. Especially if they, say, share a last name--obviously there are other people in the world with the last names Gacy, Hitler, Hussein, Bundy, and Hubbard**. They must all go through life having to apologize for their kinfolk's behaviour and insisting that not everyone in their family was insane.

But I think it probably feels how I do about other Americans every time I see something like this. I feel like I have to apologize and prove to other people that not all Americans are like that.

**I actually found this video of a performance piece by the great grandson of L Ron Hubbard, whose family took the logical and unfortunately necessary step of changing their name in order to avoid negative associations and, even worse, to escape the cultists of Scientology. It's worth watching.

I think most people with a thinking brain on their shoulders know that not all Americans, or not all Southern Americans are like that.  It's just more entertaining to focus on the weirdos.

It'd be just as stupid for me to assume that all Yankees were rude, or all British people had bad teeth and did nothing but eat crumpets, drink tea, and hum Rule Britannia all day.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 10:28:44 pm »
Oh, I know. But even though not everybody knows the names of every serial killer, and not everybody assumes that just because you share some connection to crazy people means you are yourself crazy, it doesn't stop you feeling like you need to make up for it to fix what someone else did or does.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline JackBauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Neonate
  • Jack's back!
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:00 pm »
Things can go wrong on Top Gear (this is Richard Hammond's crash in the Vampire Dragster).
Part pirate, part wolf.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:32 am »
Things can go wrong on Top Gear (this is Richard Hammond's crash in the Vampire Dragster).
I've seen the clip about him after he came back and the first thing they did was play the video and have him comment on it...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!