Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463316 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6810 on: March 05, 2017, 08:20:18 pm »
Eh, I wouldn't say Breath of the Wild is Dark Souls level brutal, but it is definitely a lot less forgiving than previous 3D Zelda games.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6811 on: March 08, 2017, 07:49:35 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKS2AHahTI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKS2AHahTI</a>
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6812 on: March 11, 2017, 05:08:04 am »
I'm now playing through Vice City Stories and I'm thinking it's on par with, if not better than San Andreas (if only for the soundtrack). Of course, the three extra mandatory levels of Paramedic can fuck right off.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6813 on: March 15, 2017, 04:19:33 am »
In other news, I just finished Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. It was pretty short for an open world game, but that's only because there's less padding involved, which I can certainly respect. That said, the whole Nemesis system, while great fun at first, didn't really go anywhere. You turn all of Sauron's upper brass into your puppets and... That's really it. They don't do anything beyond not attack you on sight, honestly. Also, the ending was awful.
(click to show/hide)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6814 on: March 15, 2017, 06:38:13 am »
^ I agree with everything except the lack of padding. As is typical with open world games it tried to compensate the short main story line with collectables and repetitive sidequests - the nemesis system became a combination of these two in the mid game. The game had so much more potential.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6815 on: March 15, 2017, 09:08:13 am »
I thought it had a good deal less repetitive sidequests and collectables than most open world games nowadays. Don't get me wrong, there were still a lot of them, but not in anywhere near the quantity of something like Mad Max or Assassin's Creed (any of them).

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6816 on: March 15, 2017, 12:40:56 pm »
Yeah, based on my experience with AC: Black Sails I give you that - I couldn't even be bothered to play through the main storyline in that one. It was just one of the many flaws in that overrated pit of brainless boredom that wasted its notable potential even more.

Just because many other games have taken the same flawed approach even further doesn't mean it isn't a serious flaw in Shadows of Mordor, too. Well, at least that game is a moderately enjoyable experience as a whole despite its flaws.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6817 on: March 15, 2017, 02:06:54 pm »
I wish to point out that the "padding" in an open world game may actually be the meat of the game. Like punching people in Mortal Kombat it is what the game is built on and the plot happens somewhere behind it.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6818 on: March 15, 2017, 03:15:29 pm »
When it's well done and the rewards are planned well it is tasty. When it's repetitive and unrewarding it's bland.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6819 on: March 15, 2017, 03:38:15 pm »
Shadow of Mordor was ok for what it was.  I certainly enjoyed my time with the game.  But you're right.  At a certain point the game just doesn't click anymore and goes through the motions.  And yes a QTE boss fight in 2014 is just inexcusable.

Ironbite-as in any year since QTEs became a "thing"

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6820 on: March 15, 2017, 06:18:17 pm »
Thinking about it more, I will say though that it did do something very very right. That is, !SPOILER WARNING! when the main quest tells you to brand the five warchiefs. Usually, the main story in open world games may as well be completely linear. Go to a specific spot and then everything is entirely on rails for the next ten minutes or so. It's almost like it's another completely different game within a game, and for the most part, Shadow of Mordor is the same. But this part, suddenly the main quest is as open and non-linear as the rest of the game. The game gives you a goal, and you can approach it however you want and at whatever pace you want. Brand the existing chiefs directly, brand a bodyguard and have him organise a coup, brand a low level captain and have him fight his way to the top, or clear out the higher ranks yourself and allow him to be promoted just to fill the power vacuum. It's really the first time I've seen any effort put into making the main questline properly fit the rest of the game in terms of design.

I feel like this a pretty huge innovation and represents the solution to open world games that might as well be linear if not for the side fluff that may or may not be a complete waste of your time, and no one noticed (yes, myself very much included).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:56:54 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6821 on: March 15, 2017, 06:32:57 pm »
Yes that part was awesome.  I loved branding the war chiefs.  Hell, some I just made rise through the ranks.  Really opened up the game and made if so much fun.

Ironbite-then the QTEs started

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6822 on: March 16, 2017, 01:18:34 am »
QTEs have been complained about for years but developers keep putting them in games where they make no sense.

Like Space marine which had been all about combat up to the end boss and suddenly it becomes a "tap these buttons when we tell you to."

And that one shooter where you play some kind of cowboy-lady who heals by drinking booze and occasionally goes berserk (can't remember the name but it had a decent plot and fun gameplay which they completely ruin with the ridiculous QTE boss.)

Though in my opinion anything is better than Dino Crisis 2 where the end boss is just "run back and forth on a bridge to press buttons as the big bad dino stares at you and occasionally tries to bite but doesn't really move." Really, they have the player go up to computers that say "do you wish to activate/target/fire A HUGE KILLER SAT so that you can win the game?" and then the boss just dies.

The boss behaviour makes no sense and it's just so easy and out of place.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6823 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:10 pm »
Soooo jealous of everyone who's got Breath of the Wild.  The only Nintendo systems I've got are a 3DS and a Wii. :/

On a more positive note, a friend of mine (who is also the son of a friend of mine, because that's the weird social landscape I navigate nowadays) loaned me his PS3 copy of Xenoverse, so I can actually play it on something that will run it properly.  I'm up to the Cell Games.

I'd get farther, but Hubby's home, and even when he only has the TV on for "background noise," he still only seems to want it on specific shows. :/  I just want to play DDR and Xenoverse.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6824 on: March 20, 2017, 11:09:56 pm »
I'm finding myself genuinely interested in Breath of the Wild, and that is quite surprising. Lately, between the incessant nostalgia bait and shitty consoles that due to a lack of 3rd party support function only as an unnecessary 2nd paywall between me and their games, I've been rather jaded with Nintendo. Breath of the Wild though looks like a rare flash of brilliance. An open world game that's actually open and completely non-linear, where everything you do is relevant in some way, rather than split between linear main story and optional copy-paste filler that may or may not yield even a minor reward? It looks like exactly what I've been looking for since playing Shadow of Mordor.

Damn shame that the weapon breakage is so utterly obnoxious, though.