Author Topic: Fanfiction Is the Darndest Thing  (Read 37750 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Fanfiction Is the Darndest Thing
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2013, 03:26:25 pm »
Say, what fanfics would we say are THE worst?

Well that's somewhat subjective...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2013, 04:15:10 pm »
Say, what fanfics would we say are THE worst?

Well that's somewhat subjective...

There are some folks that consider 'My Immortal' to be high literature... which I find worrisome.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2013, 04:59:42 pm »
"My Immortal" isn't really a badfic though.  It's an intentional trollfic.  Wasn't that what was discovered and became the general consensus?

Now... "50 Shades of Grey", on the other hand...

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »
"My Immortal" isn't really a badfic though.  It's an intentional trollfic.  Wasn't that what was discovered and became the general consensus?

Now... "50 Shades of Grey", on the other hand...

It's highly debated whether My Immortal is intentionally bad or not. I've heard one theory that suggested Daniel Radcliffe (who has admitted writing Harry Potter fanfic) was the real author.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »
Depends.  Are we talking bad as in laughable, bad as in boring, or bad as in rage-inducing?

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #170 on: February 04, 2014, 04:57:13 pm »
My Immortal was genius.

"What the hell do you think you're doing motherfuckers!"

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #171 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:16 pm »
My standing theory is that J.K Rowling wrote My Immortal to troll the really stupid fans.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
« Reply #172 on: February 04, 2014, 06:18:21 pm »
These aren't actually badfics, per se--but as ever, your mileage may vary, and besides, I didn't see another topic here to post these, so here we go.  Hopefully they're not horribly off-topic.  Crossover fanfic is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.  Emphasis on "guilty."

Someone rehabilitated Challenge of the Superfriends and turned it into a nightmarishly awesome story with just a hint of Event Horizon in its DNA.  It's ongoing with a sequel in the works. 

Here's a Smallville/Star Wars mashup--what if Kal-El's escape ship went very slightly astray, and came down on a desert planet in a galaxy far, far away instead of Earth following the accidental death of a very young Luke Skywalker?  It has a sequel.

The same author as above also has another--what if the Ori descended en masse to convert the Star Wars galaxy? 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 06:21:34 pm by tempus »
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2014, 08:40:16 pm »
*Rise from your grave!*

This is a long one, guys, so brace yourselves.

You know what I hate in fics?  When people become incapable of saying 'no'.  And I don't mean 'they're stupid and horrible for having sex'.  I'm talking about the common, stupid cliche in fics where, when a person becomes even slightly attracted to another person, they suddenly have all rational thought and control sucked out of them and become physically incapable of saying "no" and standing up to that person, even if they outright say (or think to themselves) that they don't want to be involved with the other person.  They become slaves to their crotches without any or very little resistance.  Yeah, I know the urge for sex can become overpowering (which leads to a lot of 'oopsies' in real life), but I'd think that usually happens after some serious making out or heavy petting, not the instant you become even slightly aroused.  Seriously, you can be aroused to a point and still have your wits about you; yeah, it's strong, but so is "they're attractive but I really don't want to do this right now".  This is especially grating for me when it comes to "strong, empowered female characters", and especially if it's from a universe where I know woman can easily rebuff the advances.  But nope, it's always "oh noes, my loins are awake, can't say 'no' no matter how much I really, really want to!  Must fuck and then regret it later because I know I don't really want this and I have no willpower to say so because the hottness.  Drama!"

I'm all for sexual freedom and empowerment, but this isn't it; this is being a weak-willed idiot.

Rant for a Skyrim fic below:

(click to show/hide)

Again, it's not right to shame someone for having sex simply because they like to have sex.  However, I see sex as any other activity; it needs some self-imposed limitations and control, and should be called out when it's done in dumb ways and bad situations.  I also think it shouldn't be seen as something that automatically sucks all willpower out of you the second you get those funny feelings, like some fic writers seem to think happens.  I don't see being made completely incapable and incompetent by the slightest bit of arousal as empowering or positive.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 10:31:01 pm by Iosa the Invincible »