Author Topic: Video Game Logic  (Read 40620 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Logic
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2012, 09:38:27 pm »
SimCity

People will refuse to move into an area unless there is electrical power, but a complete lack of running water is just a "minor inconvenience".

Widening a roadway requires you to demolish every single building on the side of it.

Drivers will always pick the shortest route instead of the fastest one.

The moment that the tenants move out of a building, it immediately turns into a run-down ghetto shack.

Transportation funding is SRS BUSINESS.

Oh, that reminds me.

Large factories will happily set up shop in a small town with no links whatsoever with the outside world.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2012, 01:39:00 am »
SimCity

People will refuse to move into an area unless there is electrical power, but a complete lack of running water is just a "minor inconvenience".

Widening a roadway requires you to demolish every single building on the side of it.

Drivers will always pick the shortest route instead of the fastest one.

The moment that the tenants move out of a building, it immediately turns into a run-down ghetto shack.

Transportation funding is SRS BUSINESS.

Oh, that reminds me.

Large factories will happily set up shop in a small town with no links whatsoever with the outside world.

I always did wonder about that. I guess you could assume that the player is only controllíng the city area and the public roads to elsewhere are built by the goverment so they are "assumed" to be there. Personally when I was a kid playing Simcity I just built a road to the edge of the map so that people could move in and out of the map area.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2012, 02:57:51 am »
I always did wonder about that. I guess you could assume that the player is only controllíng the city area and the public roads to elsewhere are built by the goverment so they are "assumed" to be there. Personally when I was a kid playing Simcity I just built a road to the edge of the map so that people could move in and out of the map area.

That's exactly what I did and assumed. 

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2012, 07:07:39 am »
Hitman:  Agent 47, a tall, bald, white man, is such a master of disguise, he can pass for a short, old Chinese man, a fat black man with dreads, a cop, security guard, FBI agent, clown, and a bird.

Also Hitman:  Dogs can apparently report crimes.

Skyrim:  So can chickens.

Also Skyrim:  you can cover an entire street with blood and bodies in plain sight, but as long as you pay your bounty, the people of the city will welcome you with open arms.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"