Author Topic: Can't tell if 1%er or Troll  (Read 5323 times)

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
Re: Can't tell if 1%er or Troll
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »
I know several millionaires and none of them are like this.  I don't know... the pettiness, the complaints, the prejudice...  it just sounds too ... perfectly put in a little elitist package.   I'm calling Poe/Troll/whatever on this one.

Though I don't deny there are rich folks who DO feel this way, they're usually not quite so open about it.

Idk, a lot of this seems more like "saying what I really think because it's the internet and everyone's an asshole on the internet" syndrome to me. When you're born rich, $100k might seem on the verge of "poor" compared to the standard you're accustomed to. These guys literally have no friggin clue how to get by on less - in their world, you need to spend $2k a week on stuff just to keep up. You need to send your kids to elite, private schools because that's where the kids of all the rich, entrenched powerful people go. You don't really need to, of course, but if you want to keep up with the lifestyle, you've gotta be able to pay up...and it's an expensive-ass lifestyle.

I'd still love to see these people trade a year of my income for a year of their income, just to have the true concept of poverty sink into their soft little heads. Then maybe they'd realize how blissfully free of stress and hardship their life really is, and shut the fuck on up.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 03:22:19 pm »
"Many of these nannies are hardly college educated. I made less money right out of an Ivy League than what some of them are asking for. That to me is not normal. Yes, I appreciate all the hard work, but no, you don't get to make more money than someone who's had more education and is working a corporate job."

That's okay. You can wipe your kid's shit yourself.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 07:24:17 pm »
I know several millionaires and none of them are like this.  I don't know... the pettiness, the complaints, the prejudice...  it just sounds too ... perfectly put in a little elitist package.   I'm calling Poe/Troll/whatever on this one.

Though I don't deny there are rich folks who DO feel this way, they're usually not quite so open about it.

Idk, a lot of this seems more like "saying what I really think because it's the internet and everyone's an asshole on the internet" syndrome to me. When you're born rich, $100k might seem on the verge of "poor" compared to the standard you're accustomed to. These guys literally have no friggin clue how to get by on less - in their world, you need to spend $2k a week on stuff just to keep up. You need to send your kids to elite, private schools because that's where the kids of all the rich, entrenched powerful people go. You don't really need to, of course, but if you want to keep up with the lifestyle, you've gotta be able to pay up...and it's an expensive-ass lifestyle.

I'd still love to see these people trade a year of my income for a year of their income, just to have the true concept of poverty sink into their soft little heads. Then maybe they'd realize how blissfully free of stress and hardship their life really is, and shut the fuck on up.

Didn't they make a TV show about a rich family living losing all their money and them now living in near poverty?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Distind

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 08:13:09 pm »

I know a couple myself, most of whom never made six figures at their jobs in their lives. Just worked a long ass time and saved like bastards, and unlike us kids had a market that could make money consistently.

I also know a few twats who make more than my fiancee and I together that seem to have trouble keeping their bank balances above zero. These people remind me of those guys.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:44 pm »
Didn't they make a TV show about a rich family living losing all their money and them now living in near poverty?

I've seen a lot of variations on the general theme of "rich person becomes poor for a week/month/whatever, learns lesson" but those kind of shows are nothing but insulting because the jackass goes back to being rich once their time playing poor is over. You want to make that lesson stick? Have them live like that for a year, five years, ten years, whatever. Don't give them an easy out - don't make this about enduring a little hardship for a few days until the money comes back. That kind of shit misses the point entirely. The poor don't get an easy out. These guys should have to live the life until they wake up one morning and realize this shitty, horrible, deprived life is everything they will ever know. Then...maybe...let them have their cash back.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:08:52 pm »

I've seen a lot of variations on the general theme of "rich person becomes poor for a week/month/whatever, learns lesson" but those kind of shows are nothing but insulting because the jackass goes back to being rich once their time playing poor is over. You want to make that lesson stick? Have them live like that for a year, five years, ten years, whatever. Don't give them an easy out - don't make this about enduring a little hardship for a few days until the money comes back. That kind of shit misses the point entirely. The poor don't get an easy out. These guys should have to live the life until they wake up one morning and realize this shitty, horrible, deprived life is everything they will ever know. Then...maybe...let them have their cash back.

I think the one I'm thinking of was them losing the money for real because of the economy.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov