Author Topic: I Think I Just Ruined My Brand New Non-stick Cookware  (Read 7852 times)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
I Think I Just Ruined My Brand New Non-stick Cookware
« on: March 06, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »
So, today, I am trying to break in a brand new non-stick pan by frying up some burgers. But afterwards, it looks like the coating has been damaged. Instead of that nice black sheen, it is splotchy and looks like the coating is coming off. So all I can say about that is: Well, fuck!

Anyone here an expert on non-stick cookware? Is there something I should have done to prep it before using it? I need to know so I don’t ruin the rest of the set this pan came in.
-A Pen Name

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
Re: I Think I Just Ruined My Brand New Non-stick Cookware
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »
I always give them a good wash with a non-abrasive scrubber or sponge. The only kind of skillet that I know of that needs to be cared for before using is cast iron.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:34:17 pm »
So, today, I am trying to break in a brand new non-stick pan by frying up some burgers. But afterwards, it looks like the coating has been damaged. Instead of that nice black sheen, it is splotchy and looks like the coating is coming off. So all I can say about that is: Well, fuck!

Anyone here an expert on non-stick cookware? Is there something I should have done to prep it before using it? I need to know so I don’t ruin the rest of the set this pan came in.

Unless you used a metal spatula or cooking the burgers near the temperature of the sun I doubt it was anything you did.

Are you sure there was not a protective film you should have removed before using?
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:05 pm »
I always give them a good wash with a non-abrasive scrubber or sponge. The only kind of skillet that I know of that needs to be cared for before using is cast iron.
Well, I bought the set for my move. My sister unpacked and washed them while she was helping me out.

Unless you used a metal spatula…
No. Used the nylon one that came with the set.

…or cooking the burgers near the temperature of the sun…
Might have been a problem. I think the stove heater got pretty hot pretty quickly, even though I had it set to a middle setting. But I really don’t think it was too bad. I kind of burned one side of the burgers, but they were otherwise well-cooked. No dangerous pink or anything. So the temp should have been okay.

Are you sure there was not a protective film you should have removed before using?
Well, if there were, I think they would still be on the other pieces in the set, and there isn’t anything there.

Only saving grace is I got about 70% off due to combined sale and mail-in rebate, so it was pretty cheap. Just hope I can figure out what caused it so I can salvage the rest of the set.
-A Pen Name

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »
It sounds like you just got a crap pan.  Hopefully it is not the whole set.

....on a side note, pink does not equal dangerous, pink equals delicious!
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »

Yeah, that is a possibility. Now that I am no longer blinded by the rebate, I actually looked up reviews. Folks on Amazon seems to give these guys (Basic Essentials) good reviews. Folks on K-Mart/Sears not so much—there seem to be a number of folks that have had similar experiences.
-A Pen Name

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:58 am »
Might not be a bad idea to call the company.  They might send you a replacement.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:35 am »
Might not be a bad idea to call the company.  They might send you a replacement.

This! Send the company an email and see what they're willing to do. Either way, I'd stop using that pan. Once the Teflon starts coming off, it will start creeping it's way into your food. It's probably not bad for you, but still. If the company won't send you a new one, or a voucher for a new pan, you might have to replace it. But the good news is you just have to buy one new pan.

Nonstick pans abhor metal spatulas. Plastic, nylon, and wood are what you want to use. Also, nonstick isn't magic. It's still a good idea to use some sort of lubricating element like butter/margarine or oil. Anyways, good luck with getting a new one.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »
Well, am I glad I kept the box around to collect other bits of cardboard for the recycle dumpster. I pawed around in it, and it looks like my sister left two important pieces of paper inside. One was an instruction sheet. The other was directions on claiming service for a “Limited Lifetime Warranty.” Looks like I will be mailing a box this weekend.
-A Pen Name

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »

My god...how can we agree on certain aspects yet disagree on others?

Ironbite-you...confuse me....also Pink is gooooooood.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:07:22 pm »
Well, am I glad I kept the box around to collect other bits of cardboard for the recycle dumpster. I pawed around in it, and it looks like my sister left two important pieces of paper inside. One was an instruction sheet. The other was directions on claiming service for a “Limited Lifetime Warranty.” Looks like I will be mailing a box this weekend.
You hear back from the company?

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:32 pm »

My god...how can we agree on certain aspects yet disagree on others?

Ironbite-you...confuse me....also Pink is gooooooood.

It is because we are both carnivorous, highly opinionated, stubborn jackasses.  If we ever met we would start drinking, end up in a fight, and then go back to drinking.

Distind

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »
It is because we are both carnivorous, highly opinionated, stubborn jackasses.  If we ever met we would start drinking, end up in a fight, and then go back to drinking.
And then both promptly die of food poisoning.

But seriously, just sounds like a shit pan. Maybe a defect in the manufacturing process. Could well be why they were discounted so far.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 04:32:45 pm »
On a semi related note, have any of you used those stone coated pans(Stonedyne I think). If all else fails, invest in a Dutchoven. They're awesome for damn near anything.

Source: many boyscout campouts
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline N. De Plume

• The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:26:00 pm »
You hear back from the company?
Actually, haven’t had a chance to take it to the post office yet. There is no e-mail, and I cannot find a company website. So I gotta stick with pre-1990’s slow communication. ::)
-A Pen Name