Author Topic: Killing dogs because of how they look.  (Read 7410 times)

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Killing dogs because of how they look.
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:12 am »
Not sure if this is in the right area.  Mod's feel free to move if it isn't.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/10/belfast-lennox-court-case_n_1663165.html?utm_hp_ref=impact

DUBLIN -- A pug-nosed Belfast dog named Lennox has inspired a two-year legal fight and animal-rights protests on both sides of the Atlantic. But he's about to die at the insistence of Belfast City Council.

Dog wardens deemed the pit bull-type dog a public danger and seized him from his family two years ago. Northern Ireland's senior appeals court last month upheld two 2011 court rulings that Lennox should be put to sleep. The time for further legal appeals expired Tuesday.

His family argues that 7-year-old Lennox is not even a bit bull, has never attacked anyone and could be resettled outside Northern Ireland rather than be killed. His case attracted worldwide attention through dedicated Web sites, an online petition and social media campaign and spurred protests in Belfast and New York.

On top of the BSL bullshit, this is made even more depressing by the fact that supposedly the family apparently has tried to use the dogs "papers" that prove he's got no pitbull in him, and the courts refuse to acknowledge it as evidence.

The young dog is scheduled to be put to sleep at 7 AM today Belfast time, even though he's not even partly pitbull, has never shown aggression to anyone, and is a freaking therapy dog.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Killing dogs because of how they look.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:57 am »
I want to grab those judges and shake them by the shoulders...do they do the same thing to people who look dangerous without being dangerous as well? The irrational fear people have of Pits just plain leaves me shaking my head.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:26:05 am »
NO.

BAD JUDGES.  BAD.

In all seriousness, though, if someone sentenced a family member of mine to die because of how he looked... let's just say that I'd probably go the "brute force" method.

As in, get in there, grab the dog, get out, and get the hell out of that country.

If I needed to knock a few people over on the way to do so, I probably would.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:35:37 am »
NO.

BAD JUDGES.  BAD.

In all seriousness, though, if someone sentenced a family member of mine to die because of how he looked... let's just say that I'd probably go the "brute force" method.

As in, get in there, grab the dog, get out, and get the hell out of that country.

If I needed to knock a few people over on the way to do so, I probably would.

Some counties/states in the US outlaw the ownership of "pitbull" dogs, so be careful where you go.

Fun Fact:  PETA publicly supports BSL.  Apparently killing chickens for meat is a holocaust, but the killing of specific groups of a single species because you're afraid of them or don't like them is perfectly ethical and acceptable.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:37 am »
Fun Fact:  PETA publicly supports BSL.  Apparently killing chickens for meat is a holocaust, but the killing of specific groups of a single species because you're afraid of them or don't like them is perfectly ethical and acceptable.
We've all known for a long time that PETA are a bunch of hypocritical, clueless fuckwits.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:45:49 am by Art Vandelay »

shykid

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:52:56 am »
PETA doesn't fight animal abuse. PETA fights logic and human decency.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 06:04:26 am »
Well...  the dog's gone by now.  Here's to a much misunderstood pup.  Sorry humans were such monsters to you.  Maybe someday we'll learn. 

shykid

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:16:22 am »
Monsters on a monster hunt. This is so sad.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:07:12 am »
Judges. DIAF
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:12 am »
Monsters on a monster hunt. This is so sad.
Seems like Nietzsche was right.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:56:31 am »
Puppy no. :(

I hate people sometimes.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 01:10:01 pm »

There can be no justice when people think their prejudices can replace the truth.

It's pretty loathsome to kill an animal who's only crime is to have existed.

I have heard this.  Plenty of sites made this claim, saying it's on their webs site.

However when I went to Peta's web site all I could find is that Peta is opposed to Pit Bull Breeding.  As far as ownign a pit bull, they encouraged adoption.

But they are opposed to dog breeding in general.  (and all the sites blasting Peta and pit bulls have connections to breeders.)

http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/pitbulls.aspx
http://www.peta.org/mediacenter/news-releases/PETA-Adds--1-000-Reward-for-Help-in-Nabbing-Dog-Torturer--Killer.aspx

I am not defending Peta or saying what you claim can't be true.  But it seems when it comes to the organization, it seems some here are willing to believe anything that puts it in a  negative light uncritically.   I mean yes PETA supports bans on breeding certain dogs but you are making it sound as if they want to kill off pit bulls like the Judges above and from what I can tell that's not true.

So can we get a citation?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:18:13 pm by booley »
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
This sickens me. I want to bitchslap those judges from one end of the globe to the other until they're begging for mercy. Then I want to tell them "You're scary looking, so in two days, we're going to KILL you!!" and lock them in a cage until the second day when you walk up to them with a syringe and make them scream and beg and cry. Then maybe, just MAYBE they would understand that what they did was horribly, disgustingly WRONG!

Poor puppy :(

shykid

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 03:04:50 pm »

There can be no justice when people think their prejudices can replace the truth.

It's pretty loathsome to kill an animal who's only crime is to have existed.

I have heard this.  Plenty of sites made this claim, saying it's on their webs site.

However when I went to Peta's web site all I could find is that Peta is opposed to Pit Bull Breeding.  As far as ownign a pit bull, they encouraged adoption.

But they are opposed to dog breeding in general.  (and all the sites blasting Peta and pit bulls have connections to breeders.)

http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/pitbulls.aspx
http://www.peta.org/mediacenter/news-releases/PETA-Adds--1-000-Reward-for-Help-in-Nabbing-Dog-Torturer--Killer.aspx

I am not defending Peta or saying what you claim can't be true.  But it seems when it comes to the organization, it seems some here are willing to believe anything that puts it in a  negative light uncritically.   I mean yes PETA supports bans on breeding certain dogs but you are making it sound as if they want to kill off pit bulls like the Judges above and from what I can tell that's not true.

So can we get a citation?

Straight from the horse's mouth:

Most people have no idea that at many animal shelters across the country, any pit bull that comes through the front door doesn't go out the back door alive. From California to New York, many shelters have enacted policies requiring the automatic destruction of the huge and ever-growing number of "pits" they encounter. This news shocks and outrages the compassionate dog-lover. Here's another shocker: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the very organization that is trying to get you to denounce the killing of chickens for the table, foxes for fur or frogs for dissection, supports the shelters' pit-bull policy, albeit with reluctance. We further encourage a ban on breeding pit bulls.

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/08/EDGDLD4G1S1.DTL

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:44 pm »
If... if someone had done that to my dog (who died last winter), I would have torn them LIMB FROM LIMB.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!