Author Topic: Reasons to hate PETA  (Read 13336 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Reasons to hate PETA
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:43 pm »
Here is a lists with the link but I'll copy them here: http://rubyvroom.tumblr.com/post/25671110787/reasons-why-peta-is-terrible

• PETA has a long history of horribly, disturbingly sexist advertisements. (warning: that link is disturbing, seriously.)
  • PETA also has a history of racist jackassery like wearing klan hoods to the Westminster Dog Show and comparing it to the Holocaust.
  • They also put up billboards in Washington D.C. comparing animal cruelty to human slavery and specifically the American enslavement of Africans.
  • This one deserves its own bullet point - they actually sued Sea World under the 13th Amendment. The one that outlawed slavery in the U.S. Yeah. They did that.
  • And let’s not forget the whole “Holocaust On Your Plate” ad campaign.
  • PETA also loooooooooooves fat-shaming. Example - this recent billboard featuring a.. meat pie coffin? I think? Suggesting that eating animals makes you (horrors!) fat and also kills you? So go vegan? Bonus offensiveness: they put this up next to a mortuary. See also this whole ad campaign centered on fat-shaming: (picture)
  • Another recent advertisement claimed that going vegan will send your sex drive into overdrive and you’ll be so potent you’ll actually injure your girlfriend and leave her limping and wearing a neck brace which is awesome and hilarious. I wish I was exaggerating but I’m totally not.
  • When a grisly killing spree in Vancouver left 15 women dead, PETA tried to purchase full-page ads in local papers suggesting that this carnage was no worse than the killing of animals for food.
  • PETA president and co-founder Ingrid Newkirk opposes the use of Seeing Eye dogs and has had at least one dog taken away from its blind owner.
  • PETA protests public shelters that euthanize animals, but their own shelter euthanizes most of the animals they take in. Not some. Most.
  • PETA is actually right now trying to fight No-Kill legislation in Virginia, because it would prevent their shelter from euthanizing animals.
  • PETA has given tens of thousands of dollars to convicted arsonists and other violent criminals. This includes a 2001 donation of $1,500 to the North American Earth Liberation Front (ELF), an FBI-certified “domestic terrorist” group responsible for dozens of firebombs and death threats.  PETA paid $70,200 to Rodney Coronado, an Animal Liberation Front (ALF) serial arsonist convicted of burning down a Michigan State University research laboratory.
  • During the past ten years, PETA has spent four times as much on criminals and their legal defense than it has on shelters, spay-neuter programs, and other efforts that actually help animals.
  • Right here, from the actual PETA website, is their stance on extremist animal liberation groups that commit arson and violently harass medical researchers:  Throughout history, some people have felt the need to break the law in order to fight injustice. The Underground Railroad and the French Resistance are both examples of people breaking the law in order to combat injustice…   Anyone can be an activist. It does not take any special skills or superhuman abilities. You just need to care enough about animals to want to help them.”

Also two reasons not on the list:
  • PETA exploits lesbian relationships to attract straight men to their cause.
  • PETA is willing to reinstate anti-sodomy laws and throw LGBT people under the bus to further their cause.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Distind

Re: Reasons to hate PETA
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »
  • PETA exploits lesbian relationships to attract straight men to their cause.
While I think I know where this is going I have to ask for details on this just to confirm the creep factor, how exactly do they do this?

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »
So they're using the objectification and exploitation of women and lesbians in order to attract men to their cause because they think men's thought processes run alogn the lines of, "Wow I should become vegetarian because TITS!"?

It's quite impressive whenever someone manges to be insanley sexist and insulting to both genders at the same time. Well done, PETA.

Distind

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »
So they're using the objectification and exploitation of women and lesbians in order to attract men to their cause because they think men's thought processes run alogn the lines of, "Wow I should become vegetarian because TITS!"?

It's quite impressive whenever someone manges to be insanley sexist and insulting to both genders at the same time. Well done, PETA.
None of which means it doesn't work. But yeah, they do things like this quite a bit. Funny how the people saying we treat animals humanely expects humans behave like animals.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

None of which means it doesn't work.

Oh I'm sure it works on a select few idiot man-children. But I find the implication that comes from this sort of thing that all men respond to this sort of purile shit rather insulting.

Also, are the sort of people that this would work on really the sort of people you want on your side? Seems to me like there is nothing postive about this for anyone no mater who they are. Other than the "no such thing as bad publicity" aspect of deliberately courting controversy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:35:12 pm by Katsuro »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:28 pm »

None of which means it doesn't work. But yeah, they do things like this quite a bit. Funny how the people saying we treat animals humanely expects humans behave like animals.

Well, considering how their founder came right out and said she felt humanity is a virus on the earth, I wouldn't be surprised if many of them felt that animals are superior to humans.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »
85% of the animals rescued by PETA ends up dead anyways:

And then there is this gem:

Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
While I'm loathe to agree with anything on Tumblr, they do have a point.  PETA are a bunch of hypocrites, and anti-human to boot.

As far as the use of animal products, my position remains the same as it always was:  I'm not opposed to it so long as the animals are treated humanely while they are alive.

Humans have been using animals for food, clothing, and work since the beginning of civilization, and it's pretty absurd to expect them to stop now.  Come to think of it, there's another group of people that PETA conveniently ignores--residents of the developing world who still rely on animals as beasts of burden.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:06:51 pm »
    • PETA is willing to reinstate anti-sodomy laws and throw LGBT people under the bus to further their cause.
    Really?

Nice to know that PETA think I'm a slave owner for owning a rabbit and a bunch of rats!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
    • The Beast
    • By Odin's beard!
    « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
    As an animal rights activist and human rights activist, both those parts of me hate PETA.  They're horrible when it comes to human rights, and their insane publicity stunts and bizarro accusations and actions make all us sane animal activists look bad.
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:35:50 pm by TGRwulf »
    a.k.a. TGRwulf
    "hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
    "it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
    "Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
    • The Beast
    • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
    « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 12:33:54 pm »
    Nice to know that PETA think I'm a slave owner for owning a rabbit and a bunch of rats!

I'm not the slave owner of my dog, I'm the slave, he has me wrapped around his little paw. ;D

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
    « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:47 pm »
    They don't try to go after many rights abuses cause they would require effort like in China live dog skinning goes on a lot them "we're too busy"

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
    • Heeeere's JohnE!
    « Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:43 pm »
    But they're all too happy to use videos of live dog skinning to solicit donations.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
    • Generic forum poster #666
    « Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:57:59 pm »
    What especially pisses me off is the people who jump on the PETA bandwagon.  They go vegan because their favorite musician/actor/whatever did.  Think for your damn selves, morons.
    Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
    It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
    You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
    you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
    --Thought Industry, Boil