Author Topic: 2016 Election Thread  (Read 9485 times)

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
2016 Election Thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:44:20 am »
Because we haven't had ENUF election stuff yet.

Just speculation thus far into what the field could be like in four years.

My bet: Chris Christie. He's learned something from the Hurricane, it seems, and might be a reviver of a different Republican Party, if his character development keeps going.

That, or Rick Santorum. Old Poop 'n Lube made a strong showing in the Primary, would appeal to an increasingly Right Wing Tea Party and Republican Base. He is a staunchly conservative Christian, of a mainstream sect, so we might see less of the heretic accusations.

We might well also see a return of Caribou Barbie. Not really THAT likely, but I think we can count on Sarah to do some whacky stuff.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: 2016 Election Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:45:41 am »
Sarah Palin won't run. Why would she? She has no interest in politics.

Chris Christie has made a terrible governor and would be a terrible president (ref: Krugman).

Judging by tradition, it will be Santorum. The runner-up in the Primary is the anointed one for the next time around. Of course, social issues are a serious negative for the Republicans right now, as 2008/2012 proves.

Also, I'm going to remake my joke about the Democratic primary:

If they nominated Martin O'Malley, it would really go down to the wire.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:43 am »
Dems:
Hillary Clinton
Jay Inslee?

GOP
Paul Ryan?
Rick Santorum
Chris Christie
Ron Paul
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:56:52 am »
I'd like to see a Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren nomination, if only to watch misogynists' heads explode.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 04:38:07 am »
I highly doubt Jay Inslee could be the Democratic nominee. But if he were to be interested, maybe Gary Locke (three-term governor of Washington, Secretary of the Interior, and now ambassador to China).

On the Republican side, I actually have a prediction: sometime in the next few years, the Republican party will completely abandon their current hardline anti-immigration stance, as part of a deliberate strategy to win over Latino voters.

My current dream candidate, of course, would be Neil DeGrasse Tyson.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:34:55 am »
I'm hoping for 2 brand new people that have not run for prez or VP yet.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:48 am »
I highly doubt Jay Inslee could be the Democratic nominee. But if he were to be interested, maybe Gary Locke (three-term governor of Washington, Secretary of the Interior, and now ambassador to China).

On the Republican side, I actually have a prediction: sometime in the next few years, the Republican party will completely abandon their current hardline anti-immigration stance, as part of a deliberate strategy to win over Latino voters.

If the Republican abandon the culture war- and that's what they'd be implicitly doing- what have they got to run on?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:47 am »

If the Republican abandon the culture war- and that's what they'd be implicitly doing- what have they got to run on?

The culture of war.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 09:44:45 am »
I'd like to see a Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren nomination,

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY</a>
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 09:56:03 am »
For the Republicans Paul Ryan will be a contender, and I expect that Mike Pence will make a run as well, given that the Tea Party put a lot of pressure on him to run this time and he was only a congressman.  After a term as governor, I expect that he'll take a shot at it.  There has also been a lot of talk already that the Republicans are going to have to look beyond white men to win.  If they make that move by 2016, Bobby Jindall and Marco Rubio could also be in the mix.

For the Democrats the picture is less clear.  I don't think Clinton will get the nomination (I thought after Obama won the 2008 primary she said that she wouldn't run again, but I could be mistaken), nor do I think Biden has much of a chance, unless the economy is absolutely booming by 2016 (he is fairly, and inexplicably, unpopular).  I'm not sure who it would be, but I suspect that whoever the Democrats nominate for President in 2016 is a governor right now.  They have 4 years to make a name for themselves.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:47 am »
I'd like to see a Hillary Clinton/Elizabeth Warren nomination, if only to watch misogynists' heads explode.

Warren will not run on the national scale, and to be honest, I don't want her to. She does not have the charisma to campaign on the national stage. Keep in mind that she got elected in Massachusetts, so that means she'll easily hold on to that seat until she retires. If she ran for Prez/VP she would have to give that seat up. She is far more useful where she is right now.

Here is my personal list of everyone who might possibly run in the party primaries in alphabetical order, along with their most significant political achievement.

Democratic possibilities:

Joe Biden, Vice President
Corey Booker, Mayor of Newark
Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State
Andrew Cuomo, Governor of New York
Russ Feingold, Senator from Wisconsin
Kirsten Gillibrand, Senator from New York
Martin O'Malley, Governor of Maryland
Deval Patrick, Governor of Massachusetts

Republican possibilities:

Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey
Mitch Daniels, Governor of Indiana
Jim DeMint, Senator from South Carolina
Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the House of Representatives
Mike Huckabee, Governor of Arkansas
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana
Bob McDonnell, Governor of Virginia
Rand Paul, Senator from Kentucky
Tim Pawlenty, Governor of Minnesota
Mike Pence, Governor of Indiana
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas
Condoleezza Rice, Secretary of State
Marco Rubio, Senator from Florida
Rick Santorum, Senator from Pennsylvania
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:23:41 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:44 pm »
For the Democratic nomination, I can't see anyone seriously challenging Hillary if she chooses to run. I also don't think there's a Republican that can beat her. The combination of:

- First female president
- The support of Bill, Obama, and the traditional Clinton backers
- The New York/Wall St. political machine
- The GOTV apparatus and campaign team Obama's put together

...would make her more or less unstoppable in a general election.

Biden's a great guy but he's too old (especially since men tend to suffer the effects of aging more severely and live less long than women) and wasn't really a credible challenger to Hillary in 2008. His turn as VP will have increased his viability, but the same goes for Hillary's time as SoS. However, if Hillary doesn't run, I can see him taking the nomination by default. I fully expect at least one woman or minority on the Dem ticket either way.

As for the Republicans, it all depends on how they handle the fallout from their rather crushing defeat this time around. If they double down on the crazy and finally let the teabag nutters have their "true conservative" nominee, they may run Ryan/Santorum/Huckabee or something similar. If the moderates/establishment republicans finally regain control of the party, they'll probably go with Rubio or Christie. While I think Hillary would beat their nominee whichever route they chose, I could see a reformed, more moderate party spearheaded by Rubio/Christie mounting a credible challenge against Biden or the rest of the Democratic field, so I'd prefer it if the Republicans stayed crazy for another cycle.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:22:35 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:28 pm »
Judging by tradition, it will be Santorum. The runner-up in the Primary is the anointed one for the next time around.

I know that's ben true of McCain and Romney, but unless Bush was the runner-up against Bob Dole it's not much of a tradition.

As for the Democrats, I'm thinking Hillary Clinton is the one most likely to get the nomination.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:36:10 am »
Y'all are seriously starting already? The news cycle hasn't even left Boehner mode over Romney losing yet.

Also, autocorrect wants to turn "Boehner" into "boner".
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:44:41 am »
Y'all are seriously starting already? The news cycle hasn't even left Boehner mode over Romney losing yet.

Also, autocorrect wants to turn "Boehner" into "boner".

Any responses to the "DEFCON 1 Federal Debt Engagement Protocols" aka the fiscal cliff?