Author Topic: Fox News has a Wiccan/Pagan Bashing Session  (Read 6058 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Fox News has a Wiccan/Pagan Bashing Session
« on: February 27, 2013, 03:48:54 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwJqUQzghhM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwJqUQzghhM</a>

Summary of talking points for those of you whose ears tend to catch on fire from listening to Fox News.  Also some commentary of my own.

-The "PC Police" are "at it again" because the University of Missouri is talking about not scheduling tests and exams on Wiccan and Pagan holidays.

There are precisely 8 holidays that are generally celebrated by Wiccans and Pagans.  One of them (Samhain) is around the same time as Halloween, another (Yule) is in the ballpark of Christmas.  This will be important later.

-The downside of "wiccanism" is that it's obviously a form of witchcraft, but the upside is that you get a ton of holidays.

Catholicism and some protestant denominations would love to disagree with you.  Also, witchcraft is not a downside, and the word is Wicca.

-Tammy Bruce pops in to say that it's not about being elevated, it's that wiccans and pagans are being used to attack traditionalism, and that they should be angry about this.

Because traditionalists have totally supported wiccans and pagans in becoming accepted by the community of the USA oh wait they haven't.

-The PC Police don't want people to say Merry Christmas to other people.

They're really stuck on this meme, aren't they?

-You get 20 holidays if you're a wiccan, so clearly, that's the religion to pick.

EIGHT.  HOLIDAYS.  If you had done a MODICUM of research, you would have found this.  Full moons, while celebrated, don't count as holidays, and for that matter, they're celebrated at NIGHT.  I'm hoping, for your sake, that you got confused with the 20% of school holidays statistic, which I haven't verified yet.

-"I can't take any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween seriously at all."

Samhain, which is pronounced "Sow-en", predates Halloween by at least a couple of centuries.  And for the record, it was also a harvest festival.  Many pagans probably celebrate both holidays.

-"How many wiccans can name every wiccan holiday?"

Not me, but I'm still learning.  How many Christians can name every Christian holiday?

-"There was a backlash against wiccans awhile ago, and I had to do a story, and they pretty much said that they were peaceful folk of the earth."

Oh my god, a semblance of fair reporting?

-"I think every wiccan I've ever known was a compulsive Dungeons and Dragons player or is a middle-aged twiced divorce woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife."

Nope.

-"And likes a lot of incense."

Not this wiccan, but most do, yeah.

So basically, according to Fox News, Wiccans are either geeks or middle-aged women who can't keep a husband, they only chose their religion because of the "massive amount of holidays it has", and they should hate the "PC Police" for helping them gain equal rights.

In other words, Fox News is being Fox News.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:18:41 pm by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
Re: Fox News has a Wiccan/Pagan Bashing Session
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »
Witchcraft. Witchcraft. That usually implies that they're doing actual magic or communicating with demons. Please don't tell me that these people who have a voice on national television believe in magic or evil spirits or whatnot.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »
Tuna: I wouldn't put it past Faux News to claim that we turn children into newts.  (They get bettah.)

My head hurts just seeing the "word" "Wiccanism."  It's like they don't even want to pretend they care enough to do the research.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 04:44:42 pm »
Oh what, they've forgotten about us atheists? Fox News, I'm just hurt by this...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 04:51:11 pm »
Tuna: I wouldn't put it past Faux News to claim that we turn children into newts.  (They get bettah.)

My head hurts just seeing the "word" "Wiccanism."  It's like they don't even want to pretend they care enough to do the research.

Realistically, they probably believe that we make deals with demons to force people to fall in love with us and to also curse good, honest Christians.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:26 pm »
Yeah, that Wiccan stuff is a bunch of shit! You know what's legit? a man coming back to life after being nailed to a cross!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 11:01:02 pm »
Hey, Fox News, my "friends" at my school, the very racist xenophobic republican ones, agreed with me when I said you all were flooring it in a jet car off the cliff at the farthest end of right wing bias. Let that sink in. The most right wing people I can find think your of your fucking rocker!

This was after one of my friend's grandma's had sent him an email about how Obama was evil because Michelle Obama was trying to ban tampons and make all women use sponges instead. Apparently this originate from Fox. I'm not even joking.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 11:34:46 pm »

Realistically, they probably believe that we make deals with demons to force people to fall in love with us and to also curse good, honest Christians.

There are some "love spells" or "sex spells" online but they're mostly geared toward gullible, naive teenagers. Basically every Neopagan site I've seen says they're bullshit and specifically tells young adherents not to beg for love spells online. One notable "sex spell" I saw on the internet once contained prayers to Satan and Adolf Hitler, masturbation, self-harm (in the form of pricking one's finger), and blood-drinking. I think it was on one of Maxine Dietrich's sites, and that one in particular was an LGBT neo-Nazi teenage theistic Satanism site.

I remember I knew a lady who watched FOX News who thought that vampirism and occultism was a huge and influential subculture among teenagers because of the Twilight and Harry Potter series, even though they're like tiny tiny minorities of teens.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:36:18 pm by Wykked Wytch »
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:19 am »
As the last line in the original post says:  "Fox news being Fox news".

It doesn't even surprise me that much that they're so misinformed about something "contrary" to their views.  Still this is good proof of JUST how out of touch they are.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:13 am »
.....so what reality did they find this?

Ironbite-I kinda wanna join.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:08 am »

It doesn't even surprise me that much that they're so misinformed about something "contrary" to their views.  Still this is good proof of JUST how out of touch they are.

I don't think they're misinformed. I think they're very informed but care more about pleasing their target audience than telling the truth.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:12 am »

I don't think they're misinformed. I think they're very informed but care more about pleasing their target audience than telling the truth.

I mean, a misunderstood religion is a perfect opportunity to flex the ol' yellow journalism muscles.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:57:42 am »
I've actually heard people refer to witchcraft as their religion. But if you want lots of holidays, you should try Judaism. Not only do we have several, but we also have better food.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 02:09:44 am »
No bacon though.

Ironbite-not sure if want.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 02:52:04 am »

I read that as "turn children into newbs."

Regarding love potions, all they do is remind me of Hey Arnold.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.