Author Topic: Cheaper more sustainable solar panels  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
Cheaper more sustainable solar panels
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
http://www.newswise.com/articles/new-solar-panels-made-with-more-common-metals-could-be-cheaper-and-more-sustainable

The new photovoltaic technology uses abundant, less-expensive materials like copper and zinc ― “earth-abundant materials” ― instead of indium, gallium and other so-called “rare earth” elements. These substances not only are scarce, but are supplied largely by foreign countries, with China mining more than 90 percent of the rare earths needed for batteries in hybrid cars, magnets, electronics and other high-tech products. Atwater and James C. Stevens, Ph.D., described successful efforts to replace rare earth and other costly metals in photovoltaic devices with materials that are less-expensive and more sustainable.

Seems neat

I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Cheaper more sustainable solar panels
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:30 am »
That's really damn cool actually!

The biggest thing I like about it is that they don't even LOOK like solar panels.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:13:46 am »
It would be a royal bitch to maintain, though. All the cleaning you'd have to do, not to mention the mass of wiring in roof. Just imagine you find your power output significantly dropped, and you have to check every individual shingle to find the ones that have shat themselves?

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:05:41 am »
I'll admit, those look pretty spiffy!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline chiheisen

• Apprentice
  • Don't mind me. I'm just your average lurker.
Cheaper more sustainable solar panels
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:55:00 am »
I love the color.  I don't know much about maintaining solar panels, so I can't imagine the work it would take, but aesthetically these are nice. 
一期一会

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 09:58:14 am »
It would be a royal bitch to maintain, though. All the cleaning you'd have to do, not to mention the mass of wiring in roof. Just imagine you find your power output significantly dropped, and you have to check every individual shingle to find the ones that have shat themselves?

If you set it up right, you can have an LED on a main board showing which shingle is not having any current flow through it which would dramatically reduce troubleshooting problems.
Of course you could also just wire them all haphazardly and struggle for the rest of ones life maintaining them.

I think its a good design though. It looks good enough to encourage people to invest in them.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:12:01 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't take this seriously.

This is why:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVYUPmjJ9bU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVYUPmjJ9bU</a>
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:53 am »
Definitely a nice setup, me thinks.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:21:37 am »
As for maintenance and/or troubleshooting, I would hope the developers would have taken this into consideration and have a plan plan for it.  That would be a huge selling point.

Of course, the most important thing about this would be the price to install.  It does say in the article that it this would be more affordable than currently available products, but that doesn't tell us much.  If the cost to install is not proportional to the money saved from buying electricity, then what's the point.  It would be like buying a hybrid vehicle just to save money on gasoline.  Sure, it gets better fuel mileage, but if you ever have to replace the battery, it more than wipes out any savings in fuel you've realized.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »
Keeping those clean in the winter would be a nightmare.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 02:05:45 am »
Would not work in Finland, what with all the snow, but then again in warmer regions this certainly has potential.

I don't think that those rooftiles are the best use for these solar panels but it is an innovative design. After all if there are people who would not want an "ugly" solar panel on his rooftop but would take these then they have a market. And no doubt they can make regular panels with the same technology.

Also, having the panels be so small means that replacing one or two broken ones is a small task that one person can do.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43:38 am »
The tiles are tougher and simpler than they look. They have snap-to wiring harnesses and it's not like the whole array fails if one connection or tile fails. The criss-cross grid you see below the tiles in the installation picture is the circuit grid. The tiles are not wired in series like a string of holiday lights. Flat "asphalt" shingle-style PV roofing systems have been available for a while now, are just as discrete as these barrel tiles.

Here's an article with several promising developments in PV tech. Combine them with this cheaper common metals tech, and it gets really promising.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120119153042.htm
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.