Author Topic: Phoenix man arrested for fighting in Syria w/ Al-Qaeda  (Read 2923 times)

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
Phoenix man arrested for fighting in Syria w/ Al-Qaeda
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:46:37 pm »
A guy named Eric Harroun, a US Vet, was fighting on an Al-Qaeda backed side, says he knew they were designated terrorists and posted about on Facebook.  Makes me wonder if he was surprised when he was arrested in Turkey.

According to charging documents, Harroun traveled to Turkey in November 2012 and eventually found people there who agreed to help him slip into Syria to help the rebels in January 2013.Once in Syria, he linked up with al Nusra and allegedly participated in several battles against pro-government forces. In later voluntary interviews with FBI agents in Turkey, Harroun claimed to have shot at least 10 people, but said he was unsure if he killed anyone.
Throughout his ordeal, Harroun appears to have posted pictures of himself online in military fatigues with his fellow fighters and weapons, including a rocket-propelled grenade. In one post, he reportedly claimed to have downed a helicopter. He also appeared in online videos threatening Syria’s President Bashad al-Assad, court documents said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/us-army-vet-fought-with-al-qaeda-in-syria-feds/

Art Vandelay

Re: Phoenix man arrested for fighting in Syria w/ Al-Qaeda
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:32 pm »
There's always one of them...

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:18:45 pm »
A guy named Eric Harroun, a US Vet, was fighting on an Al-Qaeda backed side, says he knew they were designated terrorists and posted about on Facebook.  Makes me wonder if he was surprised when he was arrested in Turkey.

According to charging documents, Harroun traveled to Turkey in November 2012 and eventually found people there who agreed to help him slip into Syria to help the rebels in January 2013.Once in Syria, he linked up with al Nusra and allegedly participated in several battles against pro-government forces. In later voluntary interviews with FBI agents in Turkey, Harroun claimed to have shot at least 10 people, but said he was unsure if he killed anyone.
Throughout his ordeal, Harroun appears to have posted pictures of himself online in military fatigues with his fellow fighters and weapons, including a rocket-propelled grenade. In one post, he reportedly claimed to have downed a helicopter. He also appeared in online videos threatening Syria’s President Bashad al-Assad, court documents said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/03/us-army-vet-fought-with-al-qaeda-in-syria-feds/
Is it weird am not against this guy since he's killing Assad

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:23:46 pm »
Treason is no-nonsense crime.

Ok, so he's only being charged with using a rpg outside the united states.  He's still fucked up for working with our enemies.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:34:13 pm by syaoranvee »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:37 pm »
Is it weird am not against this guy since he's killing Assad
Yes, since he's fighting for something that's not even remotely better.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »
More that well we need to like it or not accept Al Queida in Syria if we want the rebels to win

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 07:17:59 am »
Does treason still get the death penalty?
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 08:53:35 am »
Why would this count as treason? He isn't fighting against US troops.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
He is taking "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" line of reasoning way too far and loosely.

Support the citizen freedom fighters, yes....fight alongside the worst possible faction that wants to dominate the replacement government - No. Don't do that. It's not that hard for a US vet to find legit civvy fighters to join, dipshit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Distind

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 10:58:38 am »
Part of me died realizing that guerrilla fighters are posting on facebook during down time.

I'm not slightly closer to believing social networking really is an Illuminati plot to capture every last thought of the public without having to bother with that mindreading business.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »
I'm fully in favour of him being sent to prison, right alongside Ed Rendell, Howard Dean, R. James Woolsey, Porter Goss, Tom Ridge, Louis Freeh, and Mitchell Reiss.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:03:59 pm »
I'm fully in favour of him being sent to prison, right alongside Ed Rendell, Howard Dean, R. James Woolsey, Porter Goss, Tom Ridge, Louis Freeh, and Mitchell Reiss.

Howard Dean?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 12:31:30 am »

Howard Dean?

People paid by a terrorist group to lobby for it to be removed from a State Department list of terrorist groups. Under US law, you can be thrown in prison for a decade for talking to such groups, except if you're a Congressman of course.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 05:36:40 pm »

Howard Dean?

People paid by a terrorist group to lobby for it to be removed from a State Department list of terrorist groups. Under US law, you can be thrown in prison for a decade for talking to such groups, except if you're a Congressman of course.

What group was that?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 07:43:00 pm »

Howard Dean?

What group was that?

MEK. In Iran.

-FDR