Author Topic: Parish (Parsonage) Exemption declared unconstitutional in US District Court  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
http://aattp.org/u-s-district-court-judge-rules-religious-tax-exemption-unconstitutional/

Well, to sum it up, a US District Court Judge named Barbara C. Crabb ruled the law (seen here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/107 ) was unconstitutional according to the Establishment Clause of the US Constitution. The law was passed in 1954 during the McCarthy era as to do otherwise would have been political suicide. There's a very real possibility the Supreme Court will want to review this.

Looks like I'm gonna need a lot more popcorn, or headache medicine...

Oh hell, why not both? Popcorn for the show, and aspirin for the clusterfuck to follow.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Another step towards secular victory.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
This should have happened much earlier.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
This should have happened much earlier.

Perhaps, but if it succeeds at all, I'll be plenty happy enough.  The tears of impotent neo-con rage will be extra-delicious with this added into the mix.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
"We have to pay our fair share?  We're being persecuted!"
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
I'm OK with this, as long as religious organizations can still get charity status if they actually qualify. If the Supreme Court upholds the ruling, I imagine most religious organizations will. The big losers here are megachurches and Scientology.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
I'm OK with this, as long as religious organizations can still get charity status if they actually qualify. If the Supreme Court upholds the ruling, I imagine most religious organizations will. The big losers here are megachurches and Scientology.
I appreciate the sentiment, but the odds of that happening might be slim. Politicized megachurches--and their parishioners--could probably lobby their way back into charity status.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
I appreciate the sentiment, but the odds of that happening might be slim. Politicized megachurches--and their parishioners--could probably lobby their way back into charity status.

Some of them, probably.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
Does this actually mean much of anything in practical terms?

Just because you can tax a church doesn't mean anybody is actually going to.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
If I'm understanding the article right, this doesn't affect the tax exempt status of churches, only the tax exempt status of houses given to clergy by churches.