Author Topic: Good news thread  (Read 2893 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Good news thread
« on: February 22, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »
I figured that we needed a place on this site to share news that isn't about bankers kicking puppies into active volcanoes or shooting black children.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 07:19:42 pm by I am lizard »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Good news thread
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 05:01:01 pm »
I'll get back to you.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 05:07:23 pm »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:29:54 pm »
In Norway, random people gave their coats, scarves and gloves to a freezing child at a bus stop.

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommunity/2014/02/passers-by-give-their-coats-to-freezing-child-in-viral-norway-charity-campaign.html

Want to know Ernest Hemingway's favourite burger recipe, or see his passport? The JFK Library has released digitized copies.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/photos/check-out-ernest-hemingway-s-passport-favourite-burger-recipe-1.2546204
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »
Sweden remains quite civilised!
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 07:18:41 pm »
I just ate ice cream.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »
One of my sisters just got engaged.  The wedding is in June.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
Wow, um think I have something in my eye. No I'm crying. That's beautiful.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:28:17 pm »
For once, UP, I'm actually with you on something.  One of my cousins is slated to get married to her fiancee in August.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 02:05:57 am »
The gender neutral marriage law passed its first hurdle. There's still a few more steps but at least the parliament didn't smash it right away.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 02:23:37 am »
The gender neutral marriage law passed its first hurdle. There's still a few more steps but at least the parliament didn't smash it right away.
Since it's in Europe I'm guessing it's going to pass.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 04:55:57 am »
I wrote a hockey tabletop game for Two Hour Wargames and submitted it.  It's been playtested and we're just waiting for the company's owner to look it over (He gave me the assignment in the first place after I helped playtest his boxing game).

While I wait, I'm working on a baseball game for the company, to be submitted this summer hopefully.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 07:33:23 pm »
Since it's in Europe I'm guessing it's going to pass.

It's Finland. It's a country you would think is socially liberal since it is located partially in Scandinavia (Typically it is not considered Scandinavia) but the opposite is true for the most part.

On the bright side, word said there is no anti-immigrant political party or organization in Finland, but of course there is no country on Earth where there is not even a small group of people who are antagonistic toward foreigners.

So in other words (I'm talking to these people who are naïve enough to believe this), if you want to move to a place where there is no discrimination, period, just move to the Moon.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 11:51:21 pm »
Back when the genderneutral-marriage act was first brought up (and shot down in the parliament) we would have been the first nordic country to have gay marriage, had we passed it. Now we are the last nordic country without gay marriage and among the last in EU.

I'm not saying that we should do things like this just for "points" or to show how progressive we are, but it really does show that the times are changing and despite the majority of our people supporting this, our progress is being slowed by a bunch of fundies and homophobes who are trying to drag us down.

I should really post a series of the dumbest/funniest justifications against gay marriage. Particularly since I found a handy article that had collected a bunch of the funniest ones. Though I'd first have to translate them...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!