Author Topic: Shocking behaviour from a judge  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Shocking behaviour from a judge
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:51:17 am »
http://apublicdefender.com/2014/08/26/a-shocker-in-maryland/#more-5944

Basically what happened was:

Man was defending himself in court (bad idea generally) and the judge wasn't having any of that shit so he ordered an electrical shock administered to him.

Yeah, that is about it.

He wasn't threatening anyone, he wasn't resisting or even insulting the judge. They were just going through the jury selection and the judge didn't like him questioning his AUTHORITAH!

In the moments before Nalley ordered King to be shocked, the defendant did not threaten Nalley or anyone else, according to the court transcript. King did not make any threatening physical moves toward Nalley or anyone else, and did not attempt to flee, according to the defendant and his parents, Alexander and Doris King who were in the courtroom and witnessed the attack.

The transcript of the exchange between King and Nalley is five pages long; it appears that Nalley ordered King shocked within two or three minutes of encountering him. Early in their exchange, King asked Nalley for his “Superior Court GA 15 Certified Delegation of Authority Order.”  King said he was trying to determine whether Nalley, in light of his tire deflating conviction, was allowed to serve as a judge. “I didn’t think he was in good standing to oversee my case,” King said.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Shocking behaviour from a judge
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:42:14 am »
What the hell is wrong with this guy?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:46:31 am »
Concidering that the judge also slashed someone tires over petty reasons he might have some impulse control problems.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:04:37 am »
Annnnd, yet, he remains in a position of power?  Your tax dollars at work, folks.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:39:23 pm »
Holy shit, the judge may be worse than some of the criminals!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:47 am »
not surprising...

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:08:30 pm »
So if judges are anything like the policemen, how long until we see an association of judges coming out in strong, staunch support of this guy?

...Do judges even have an association like that?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 02:54:39 pm »
The real outrage here is that the blog post linked above uses the "shocker" pun no less than four times, including the title. I mean, surely there have to be some other electricity-based puns you could use? Maybe something with "charged"? I dunno.

But seriously though, the judge is an asshole. It sounds like the defendant was also an asshole, but as it turns out that's not a good reason to shock someone.
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »
The real outrage here is that the blog post linked above uses the "shocker" pun no less than four times, including the title. I mean, surely there have to be some other electricity-based puns you could use? Maybe something with "charged"? I dunno.

But seriously though, the judge is an asshole. It sounds like the defendant was also an asshole, but as it turns out that's not a good reason to shock someone.

What was the judge supposed to do?

Oh yeah, cite him for contempt and let him cool his heels in the holding cell until he smartens up.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 01:04:11 am »
If you read the transcript, sounds to me like the defendant knew his stuff and was trying to get the judge to recuse himself on the basis of being a total psychopath.

Ironbite-and I really wish Queen was here to explain this better.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:10 am »

I KNOW, WASN'T THAT SHOCKING?!!?!?!

If he was getting out of the subject then the judge could have warned him or ordered him to stick to the subject or something. Except that it does sound like the defendant had a point. He was asking if the judge can be allowed to serve (rule? what's the term for this?) when he has been showing signs of unstable behaviour and has actually done criminal activity and the judge responded by revealing his unstable behaviour and doing illegal torture.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 02:17:37 am »

If he was getting out of the subject then the judge could have warned him or ordered him to stick to the subject or something. Except that it does sound like the defendant had a point. He was asking if the judge can be allowed to serve (rule? what's the term for this?) when he has been showing signs of unstable behaviour and has actually done criminal activity and the judge responded by revealing his unstable behaviour and doing illegal torture.

The term is to be able to 'rule impartially' on the defendant's case.  Which, as is seen here, said judge isn't able to do so.  Therefore, he should have recused himself due to personal issues, and another judge should have taken up the defendant's case.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."