Author Topic: CNN Drops All Pretenses  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
CNN Drops All Pretenses
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:23:47 pm »
http://investmentwatchblog.com/cnn-to-broadcast-corporate-propaganda-as-news-cnn-is-now-allowing-corporations-to-pay-the-network-to-produce-slick-pr-pieces-about-them-disguised-to-look-like-news-content/

In a 1958 speech to the Radio and Television News Directors Association, veteran CBS journalist Edward R. Murrow told a roomful of TV executives, “We are currently wealthy, fat, comfortable and complacent.” The anchorman, who used his position to take on powerful politicians such as former Wisconsin Sen. Joseph McCarthy and issues such as segregation, cautioned that the new medium was being used to “distract, delude, amuse and insulate” the public.

Almost 60 years later, Murrow’s warning has gone unheeded by the corporate broadcast media. On June 8, CNN unveiled “Courageous,” a new production unit and an in-house studio that would be paid by advertisers to produce and broadcast news-like “branded content.”

“This isn’t about confusing editorial with advertising,” CNN executive Dan Riess told the Wall Street Journal. But a corporation going beyond advertising on a channel and funding the network to produce PR segments made to look like news is exactly the kind of confusion Riess is referring to.

I knew it would come to this eventually, but that doesn't make it any less outrageous.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: CNN Drops All Pretenses
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:26:32 pm »
I'm utterly unsurprised CNN did this, given that the New York Times already did.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:29:05 pm »
I'm utterly unsurprised CNN did this, given that the New York Times already did.

Remind me to cancel my subscription.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »
Oh look CNN has become Faux Noise.

Ironbite-how awkward.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:32 pm »
This is why I read NPR and independent sources.

Is the Washington Post still safe?

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:52:29 am »
They ("news" media in general) haver been doing this for quite some time now. Companies will make little 2 minute videos that look like news clips. Then they get actual news organizations to run them as news. It's moray commonly disguised as health. Let me see if I can find that source again.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 03:11:41 am »
I think I've seen exactly what you're talking about, Rookie.   It's a bit annoying when you realise it's just a glorified commercial.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 08:45:06 am »
Gotta get the cash, gotta get the dough