Author Topic: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate  (Read 34875 times)

Even Then

Since Askold wanted there to be a thread.

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/972903-gamers-flood-baldurs-gate-expansion-negative-reviews-introduces-transsexual-character

tl;dr: new Baldur's Gate content includes one transgender NPC, the revelation of whose identity is completely optional, gamers handle it with poise and rationality
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:17:02 am by Even Then »

Offline IanC

• Pope
Re: Gamers throw shitfit re: transgender character in Baldur's Gate
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 08:21:07 am »
A badly written character. You forgot to say that. A badly written character who's introduction is her telling you that she's trans and how it's like so super important, instead of it coming out naturally.

Even Then

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28:18 am »
No, her introduction is giving you her name, telling you she serves Tempus and praising said god. From there, the player has the option to ask about her apparently unusual name, to which she responds by saying that she changed her name. If the player inquires further (which is completely optional) then she tells the player she's transgender. There's even a video in the article that displays this, derogatory though the video itself may be.

The revelation is behind two clicks of an optional dialogue tree and the player can opt out of caring about that aspect of her backstory; it can hardly be said that her introduction is her directly coming out to you.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:15:08 am »
The revelation is behind two clicks of an optional dialogue tree and the player can opt out of caring about that aspect of her backstory; it can hardly be said that her introduction is her directly coming out to you.

So in order to be outraged by her trans nature you have to specifically go looking for it?

SHOVING, CRAMMING THRUSTING SJW DOWN GAEMERZ THROATZZ!!!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:40 am »
No, her introduction is giving you her name, telling you she serves Tempus and praising said god. From there, the player has the option to ask about her apparently unusual name, to which she responds by saying that she changed her name. If the player inquires further (which is completely optional) then she tells the player she's transgender. There's even a video in the article that displays this, derogatory though the video itself may be.

I just want to add to your awesome rebuttle

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4sKg18lTqw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4sKg18lTqw</a>
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Even Then

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
I just love how the reviewers make the same misassumption as Ian did. It betrays that the people claiming to be Baldur fans never actually played the game or even bothered to watch their masturbatory T-slur Abuse video completely. What was that about SJWs not playing games, again?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:33:46 am by Even Then »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 10:03:07 am »
I just love how the reviewers make the same misassumption as Ian did. It betrays that the people claiming to be Baldur fans never actually played the game or even bothered to watch their masturbatory T-slur Abuse video completely. What was that about SJWs not playing games, again?

I dunno, why did Sunset fail?

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:08:46 am »

Exactly. How dare video games try to be inclusive of other races, orientations, identities, and people. And how dare these games present feminazis (i.e. women) as worthy of respect and dignity.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Even Then

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:12:25 am »
So UP's inane response got me to thinking. Why do those like him associate the social left with the "walking simulator" genre? Is it because a black person is the main character? Well, I've seen people call TFA an SJW movie for daring to have a prominent black character, so I guess the answer is racism?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:55 am »

Exactly. How dare video games try to be inclusive of other races, orientations, identities, and people. And how dare these games present feminazis (i.e. women) as worthy of respect and dignity.

Oh, I have no problem with inclusiveness.  The issue comes when it's poorly done.

So UP's inane response got me to thinking. Why do those like him associate the social left with the "walking simulator" genre? Is it because a black person is the main character? Well, I've seen people call TFA an SJW movie for daring to have a prominent black character, so I guess the answer is racism?

Different story entirely.  See, TFA was a movie first, and a social justice vehicle second.  Sunset, on the other hand, was basically "Virtue-Signaling: The Video Game."

Even Then

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:27 am »
...for having a black main character and talking about how bad war and tyranny are. If that's all that a game needs to become a Dreaded SJW Game, the bar's basically six feet under.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 10:31:42 am »
...for having a black main character and talking about how bad war and tyranny are. If that's all that a game needs to become a Dreaded SJW Game, the bar's basically six feet under.

The problem is that it's all there was to Sunset.  Gamers didn't give the label to GTA: San Andreas or Spec Ops: The Line.  The problem wasn't the black character or the anti-war themes, the problem was that there wasn't anything to back them up.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 10:32:43 am »
I find it especially depressing that this is a thing, virulent rage over pixel art, just a day after a man in New York took a plea bargain to spend only up to 12 years in prison for killing a transwoman by smashing her skull on the curb multiple times. He came up to her and flirted with her, then his friend started giggling about it, so of course, he felt obligated to kill her for existing and being polite enough to acknowledge him. She was a young NYC fashion industry employee. How dare she be so stylishly dressed? "I just didn't like being fooled", was his reason stated to police that night.

So yeah, why wouldn't the reactionary man-imals flip out over a pixel "tranny"? "Kill it!" Post the video. Pipe bomb the forums and review sections. Try to destroy another game development team. "We just didn't like being fooled".
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Even Then

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:36:18 am »
UP voice: To Kill a Mockingbird was written by Harper Lee, known SJW, in 1960. its anti-racism message is forced and has nothing to back it up

And Mellen, holy fuck. Welp, reminder that the world is empty of meaning, I guess.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:39:12 am »
I find it especially depressing that this is a thing, virulent rage over pixel art, just a day after a man in New York took a plea bargain to spend only up to 12 years in prison for killing a transwoman by smashing her skull on the curb multiple times. He came up to her and flirted with her, then his friend started giggling about it, so of course, he felt obligated to kill her for existing and being polite enough to acknowledge him. She was a young NYC fashion industry employee. How dare she be so stylishly dressed? "I just didn't like being fooled", was his reason stated to police that night.

So yeah, why wouldn't the reactionary man-imals flip out over a pixel "tranny"? "Kill it!" Post the video. Pipe bomb the forums and review sections. Try to destroy another game development team. "We just didn't like being fooled".

That's tragic and appaling, but what does it have to do with this?

And here's an open letter from a transwoman:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/371918937272938521/#p1

To Amber Scott from a trans woman

Thank you so much from a trans gamer for painting a target on our backs once again so you can virtue signal how progressive you are. It wouldn't be enough to just, I don't know, put a trans person in a game and have them there as a character. No, it has to be a political statement and you have to just let everyone know it. Otherwise how would people know how great you are as a person, and isn't that what social justice is really about? ... No, seriously, I'm actually starting to wonder that. This is the bloody Samus Aran thing all over again. It can't just be; "here's a fun fan theory make of it what you will," it's we're redefining samus' gender, and all of you can deal with it. Then the trans community gets painted as ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥s for trying to change a venorited IP while you guys get to dance off to the warm glow of praise from your ideological peers. Everytime you paint us as this 'other' you are putting in a game so people can be 'enlightened', and every time attitudes towards trans people are made just that much worse for the effort. YAY! Someone please save us from our so called saviors.

UP voice: To Kill a Mockingbird was written by Harper Lee, known SJW, in 1960. its anti-racism message is forced and has nothing to back it up

And Mellen, holy fuck. Welp, reminder that the world is empty of meaning, I guess.

That is all.