Author Topic: Georgia Democrats to propose limitations on vasectomies for men  (Read 1575 times)

Offline SkyTrekTower

• Bishop
Georgia Democrats to propose limitations on vasectomies for men
« on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:53 am »
As members of Georgia’s House of Representatives debate whether to prohibit abortions for women more than 20 weeks pregnant, House Democrats  planned to introduce their own reproductive rights plan: No more vasectomies that leave "thousands of children ... deprived of birth."

Rep. Yasmin Neal, a Democrat from the Atlanta suburb of Jonesboro, planned to introduce a bill Wednesday that would prevent men from vasectomies unless needed to avert serious injury or death.

“If we legislate women’s bodies, it’s only fair that we legislate men’s,” said Neal, who said she wanted to introduce a bill that would generate emotion and conversation the way anti-abortion bills do. “There are too many problems in the state. Why are you under the skirts of women? I’m sure there are other places to be."

Personally, Neal said, she has no qualms with vasectomies.

“But even if it were proposed as a serious issue,” she said, “it’s still not my place as a woman to tell a man what to do with his body."

The anti-vasectomy bill was a response to a bill that would punish abortions performed after the 20th week of pregnancy with prison sentences between one and 10 years. Georgia law currently prohibits abortion after the second trimester, except to preserve the life and health of the mother.

The anti-abortion bill makes exceptions to avert death or “serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function” of the mother, but doesn’t include “diagnosis or claim of a mental or emotional condition.” If an abortion occurs after the 20th week, the bill requires doctors to attempt to deliver a living baby.

CNN

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:36:18 am by SkyTrekTower »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: Georgia Democrats to propose limitations on vasectomies for men
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:31:29 am »
I think I need to send this woman a thank you card.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 12:33:21 am »
Bet this gets shot down by everyone else.

Ironbite-and then they vote to restrict abortions because WHY NOT!

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:40 am »
Yup, because the Right would never even allow themselves to see any similarities between the two bills.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »
I'm afraid I have to say 20 weeks is way too late for an elective abortion.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:19 pm »
I agree with clockwork; although it might extend a few weeks more depending on nervous system development. An embryo is not a person, and a zygote is definitely not a person, but after ~5 months the line gets fuzzy and it is of the well being of society to care for their fellow people.

Although the 10 year prison sentence is just draconian. I think this could be compared to the duty to rescue law, but I'm not sure what the punishment for that is.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
What if she's serious?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:58 pm »
What if she's serious?

No more snippy-snippy for the guys.  I'm glad I already got mine, because at some point someone in Florida will think this is really a good idea.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 10:22:15 pm »
Bet this gets shot down by everyone else.

Ironbite-and then they vote to restrict abortions because WHY NOT!

True, but if these bills are brought up every time an anti-abortion bill is, eventually it might start to sink in.