Author Topic: College - Free Books  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
College - Free Books
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:16:50 am »
So I know "bookstore books" are expensive, and because of this you may be wondering why the hell I would make such an insane title.  Please allow me to explain.

Okay, so today I got a whole bunch of coding books from my teacher.  She was cleaning out her office so it could be used by someone else for "Entrepreneur Day" for Phi Beta Lambda - by the way, I'm enrolled in that.  So anyway, she was cleaning out her office and she had old books on coding that she didn't want, so I got to take them all home.  I just scored a lot of books for no charge.  She's also going to clean off her bookshelf and re-organize that.  I'm going to help her and in return, she will give me top billing in book selection.

It doesn't stop there.  Okay, so the school library is around to loan out books, magazines, laptops, and other various media for no charge to students.  They recently updated their stock yet again, and have a cart full of free books that anybody can just take home.  I haven't closely looked at the books, but there's a myriad of subjects, I believe.  It's just whatever isn't current enough or whatever.

Granted, the books aren't "free" free.  I mean, there's the tuition charges.  However, we're a community college, so the cost is relatively low.  Even then, the return on my investment is absolutely amazing, and these are just the tangible benefits!
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
Re: College - Free Books
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:10 am »
This is great advice.

Our local public library has days where books are either free or greatly reduced.

Don't forget that you can usually interlibrary loan most books (either through a university or public library) and try to cut costs that way if you think you won't keep the book.

Great start of a list of free books!

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:24 am »
If you're not exactly concerned with legality, there's always textbook torrents.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:13:56 am »
Another thing which may be helpful, buy books at Amazon or Ebay. There were a few times I bought books offline, used them an entire semester, and then sold them to the University at an upsell.

Another bit of advice, don't buy every book. I was a political science major, so the lack of books may be skewed in this area, but for American government I never bought the book (its government, I've been learning about it since 4th grade) and for Political theory (stuff like Hobbes, Rousseau, Mill, Bentham, Machiavelli) everything was on-line.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:30:57 pm »
Hey!  I like the replies I've been getting!  You guys rock!

Also, I just acquired three more books yesterday.  They're all on Ubuntu, and one of them is an Ubuntu server book!  :)
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.