Author Topic: Why Dan Savage and co. are wrong about homophobia  (Read 8481 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Why Dan Savage and co. are wrong about homophobia
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:09:16 pm »
I came to my attention that Dan Savage and a few other LGBT activists are claim that the black community was responsible for Prop 8 and Amendment 1 passing. And as such they've created a new campaign with the slogan "Gay is the new black". They are wrong.

As it turns out, the black community isn't more likely to vote against gay rights than non-black communities. In fact, it seems that racially diverse community are more likely to vote for LGBT rights. Race isn't a significant factor in determining who goes against LGBT rights; instead it's political affiliation and religiosity that determines how people vote.

So that's is why people did claim it was wrong for people like Dan Savage to accuse the black community of homophobia. It's not only wrong, it plays right into the hands of bigots like NOM who would love to turn the black community against the LGBT community. Furthermore, the "gay is the new black" campaign ignores the fact that anti-black racism is still a real thing in the United States. It assumes that racism is over, when it so clearly isn't. And it erases and ignore the experiences for queer people of color who faces homophobia/transphobia/biophobia/heterosexism and racism. Gay can't be the new black, because black is still a thing.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
Re: Why Dan Savage and co. are wrong about homophobia
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »
I am thinking that folks that make this claim are taking the wrong message from all the folks that have been trying to actually put heterosexual blacks against gays. It is nice to see that such loathsome individuals’ attempts have pretty well been for naught.
-A Pen Name

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »
Using a slogan like "gay is the new black" itself smacks of racism.  While both groups certainly suffer from discrimination, the struggles of the LGBT community are quite a bit different from what the African-American community has gone through, both in content and context.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline OscarApollo

• Neonate
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:18:40 pm »
I facepalmed so hard when you said he blamed Prop 8 and Amendment 1 on black people. Jesus, does Dan Savage even listen to a word that comes out of his pseudo-liberal, racist mouth?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »
When will people learn that Savage is a monstrous person?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »

Dan Savage is a lesbophobic, biphobic, transphobic, sexist, ableist, sizeist, racist, aceist and insensitive bigot. There, is there anything I missed?
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:43:35 pm »

Dan Savage is a lesbophobic, biphobic, transphobic, sexist, ableist, sizeist, racist, aceist and insensitive bigot. There, is there anything I missed?

No... I think you got everything. Now put it in alphabetical order. ;P

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:48 pm »
Using a slogan like "gay is the new black" itself smacks of racism.  While both groups certainly suffer from discrimination, the struggles of the LGBT community are quite a bit different from what the African-American community has gone through, both in content and context.

Exactly. I think the problem is some queer people get butthurt when you tell them racism and homophobia isn't the same because they think you're saying "being gay is a choice". But their wrong. It doesn't mean being gay is a choice. It means homophobia has experiences that aren't similar to racism. Both needs to be addressed but they need to be addressed as their own thing.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »

Heterophobic maybe? I don't know much about Dan Savage, but from what I've heard recently, I probably don't want to.

Why doe he insist on feeding the trolls(NOM)? Is this not the exact shit NOM wanted?

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:26 am »
I know a little about Savage, and quite frankly I don't want to know more about him.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:38 am »
I do like something things about Dan Savage, but his stupidity has outweighed his insightful side. The bad part? I know some gay guys say "but he's cute", like that's ever a valid excuse for anything.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:34:18 am »
Why you no MLK?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 08:18:18 am »
The thing is when he does this he can oftentimes push people away like I bet Savage could help Muslims accept homosexuality but instead he says stuff like this which isolate the black muslim community.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:56 am »

Aceist?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

QueenofHearts

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11:04 am »

Aceist?

Asexual people.