Author Topic: Mary Gonzalez, first female LGBT legislator, comes out as pan  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Mary Gonzalez, first female LGBT legislator, comes out as pan
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:43:18 am »
Ignore the sneer quotes, guys.

Mary Gonzalez, the Texas legislator who garnered international attention this summer as the state's first openly lesbian lawmaker now says she identifies as a "pansexual."

Pansexuals do not believe in "gender binaries," meaning that their feelings of attraction are gender-blind, Gonzalez said in an interview with the Dallas Voice.

The 29-year-old's admission makes her the only U.S. legislator to openly describe her sexual orientation as "pansexual."

Gonzalez, who will serve in the Texas House of Representatives next year, said that she's decided to clarify her sexual orientation because "gender identity isn't the defining part of [her] attraction."

Gonzalez came out as a bisexual when she was 21, though she has dated transgender and "gender-queer" people, as well as women.

Link.

And, of course, Fox News got a hold of it. It is hilarious.

Honestly, this makes me feel more comfortable about being openly bi and in politics. I always worry that my bisexuality (among other things) will make it hard for me to have a career in politics, but if she can make it in Texas, of all places, I feel a lot better about my chances.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Mary Gonzalez, first female LGBT legislator, comes out as pan
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:14:45 am »
I say good that she did. I was reading that and thinking to myself how the GOP in Texas is gonna take it (not well). Hope it gets into people's heads that sexuality is not an evil thing.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:12 am »
Hope it gets into people's heads that sexuality is not an evil thing.
Since the Texas GOP are political and religious zealots, not likely at all.

Also, I wish this woman good luck in trying to run and convince this heterosexist society called "Texas."
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:28:58 am by Alehksu Kihdo »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:32:31 pm »
I've made it to 80 without any overwhelming urge to define my sexuality.  Perhaps I'm not forthcoming enough.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.