Author Topic: Republicans Veto Ratification of Disability Rights  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Republicans Veto Ratification of Disability Rights
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:10 am »
So, here's a newslink for ya:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-disability-treaty-senate-20121206,0,5480868.story

Details: Bob Dole, a Republican, came along and gave a speech in support of the treaty. Ratification of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities lost by 38 votes, all of them Republican. Apparently, ratifying it (which doesn't require us to change any laws!) threatens homeschoolers of children with disabilities and the fact that some ratifying countries might not follow through is reason enough to not sign it at all... and would somehow lead to euthanasia of disabled children.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline tempus

• Bishop
Re: Republicans Veto Ratification of Disability Rights
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 05:36:04 am »

They've officially crossed the line from villainy into cartoonish supervillain-level villainy.
Congratulations.  You found Ronald Reagan. He’s living in each and every one of you.  Just waiting to gnaw his way out of your chest and skitter off into the ventilation ducts.

--Neckfucker

That shape...that figure...those curves...god damn the weighted companion cube has never looked so good!

--Anonymous

Los Angeles is a city of brick, steel, concrete, and asphalt. There's no room for cows.

--CommanderCoffee

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:08:12 am »
Huh. the republicans must be so scared of foreigners that they'll block a treaty from them.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:12 am »
Huh. the republicans must be so scared of foreigners that they'll block a treaty from them.

That the Americans wrote in the first place.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38:45 am »
And people say the Republicans care about people.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Agni

• Bishop
  • Prōcrāstinātorum Prōcrāstinātricumque Rex
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:01 am »
And people say the Republicans care about people.

Republicans DO care about people--just mostly white people (preferably rich)

This party continues to make itself irrelevant. There's no excuse for not ratifying this. And yet they're still heavily supported. What will it take for this party to finally lose the grip it has over a large swath of America's populace?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:13 am »
Worse...this is something Bush the Lesser worked hard to get.

Ironbite-I'm...amazed at these Tea Party idiots.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
I think mostly when there's a break between Tea Party and moderate republicans we'll see what happens.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:45 pm »
I think mostly when there's a break between Tea Party and moderate republicans we'll see what happens.

There IS a break, but from what I've seen both sides are blind to it.

From the moderate end: They know people like the ones in the Tea Party in real life, and refuse to believe that people like them are in charge of their party right now (evidence be damned), because most of them are still under the impression that the Tea Party is just a conservative revival, not a reactionary one. For examplem they still think Reagan would be supported by the Tea Party.

From the Tea Party end: The lack of criticism from their own party and endorsement of the movement from major players for the Republican team gives the false impression that all conservatives share their extreme views. For example, they think Reagan would have supported their views.

Until one side or the other realizes that they're closer together than they are to liberals but not in total agreement, this weird quasi-schism is just going to keep going.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.