Author Topic: Violence and videogames.  (Read 13250 times)

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Violence and videogames.
« on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:40 am »
Given the whole dealing with gun control politics that is happening, and how people seem to love the idea of claiming that videogames are to blame for violence, I thought I would leave this here.

Desensitized to violence

The video is graphic, he warns you, and I am warning you and it asks for age verification. So if it upsets you don't watch.
However, I would like to state that watching it is fascinating. It allows you to actually look at yourself and how you truly feel about violence.

In short the video is fascinating and Jim Sterling makes a number of excellent points. I just thought it would be useful for everyone to just hear his point of view and potentially debate it.
I would like to also share this: Source It relates directly to the newton shooting and does sum up my feelings to a degree.

I think the current sensationalist media is more to blame for these kind of events than a lot of other factors. I might even go so far as to say the media contributes more than gun control.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
Re: Violence and videogames.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:10:00 am »
I found a video a while back that, I think, raises a number of good points.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3t7j2tUec" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR3t7j2tUec</a>

I found it food for thought.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:48:59 am »
I found a video a while back that, I think, raises a number of good points.
(click to show/hide)

I found it food for thought.

I don't want to get off topic, the main topic here is the whole violence in video games and specifically the difference between media violence and real violence. I actually don't want to get bogged down in the gun debate, so I am spoiling my response to the media side.

(click to show/hide)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:55 am »
Jim Sterling is fucking awesome. I do love his videos.

Anyway, this whole "blame violent video games" is just the same sensationalist scapegoating we've seen time and time again. If you ask me, facts and rational arguments are wasted on the fuckwits who buy into this idiocy.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 07:18:56 pm »
Yanno, these violent vidya games are just murdah simulatahs, teachin ah younguns to shoot at people. /sarcasm/

Leave that to the NRA and the Republican Pahty, you comprehende?

They got that one down.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »
The fantasy of the shooter. I agree that the fantasy of the shooter needs to be broken, I strongly disagree that it is best achieved by another civilian shooting back at him. The best case is to try and prevent that idea from entering his head in the first place. Right now the media has made mass shootings a glorified fantasy. Hell I don't even want to think of the number of times neo-cons talk about taking the country back by force and shooting the immigrants and such stuff. There is a strong fantasy that them and their guns will liberate and achieve glory by killing everyone.

Silly, that would involve actually caring about and communicating with others, and as long as we have the "rugged individualist" myth around, it's never going to stop. We can't have that in the US.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:05:51 am »
I consider the yellow journalists that are our media a big part of the problem. So long as they keep raping the dead horse about how entertainment in general is the cause of violence, people will just keep looking for the easy way out and not look at the problems with anywhere near the serious amount of consideration they warrant.

When we have two comedians who do a better job with the news than the people supposed to be reporting it, we're way past "in trouble."

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:34:00 am »
I read stats on the percentage of people who actually play video games, and it was something like >90% for males, and ~50% for females (I'll try to find the article). Compare that to how many people will actually murder another person, let alone go on a mass shooting, and you'd think people would start to wonder about the validity of gaming being the main cause. I mean, do people view the rest of us who haven't committed a crime as unstable potential murderers, just waiting for the next GTA to tip us over the edge?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

QueenofHearts

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:37:39 am »
I read stats on the percentage of people who actually play video games, and it was something like >90% for males, and ~50% for females (I'll try to find the article). Compare that to how many people will actually murder another person, let alone go on a mass shooting, and you'd think people would start to wonder about the validity of gaming being the main cause. I mean, do people view the rest of us who haven't committed a crime as unstable potential murderers, just waiting for the next GTA to tip us over the edge?

I would challenge that thought, but you're clearly a deranged murderer just waiting to crack.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:17 pm »

Well, yes. Their entire view of video games is based in the theory that they are a DIRECT CAUSE of violence even in otherwise non-violent individuals. As far as they're concerned, playing Halo and Call of Duty somehow teach you how to shoot and encourage you to desire death and destruction.

Never mind that anyone who tries Call of Duty tactics in real life during a school shooting will probably look like complete idiots and the ensuing video of the incident will look like a comedy sketch.

Here I would make a joke about suggesting they crack down on airsoft and paintball instead, but then you'd have shooters screaming at their innocent victims "Call your hits!" when they don't fall down and eating beef jerky in the middle of their rampage.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:27:28 am »
Here I would make a joke about suggesting they crack down on airsoft and paintball instead, but then you'd have shooters screaming at their innocent victims "Call your hits!" when they don't fall down and eating beef jerky in the middle of their rampage.

Or sandviches.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfzUZNXRbE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMfzUZNXRbE</a>
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 03:55:57 pm »
I wonder what they would have thought with Looney Tunes?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFywX6xDOY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFywX6xDOY</a>
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
Yanno, these violent vidya games are just murdah simulatahs, teachin ah younguns to shoot at people. /sarcasm/

Leave that to the NRA and the Republican Pahty, you comprehende?

They got that one down.

What makes this even funnier?  The NRA has released more than one video game over the years.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:15 pm »
Yanno, these violent vidya games are just murdah simulatahs, teachin ah younguns to shoot at people.

That's right. Now everyone knows how to kill someone. Walk over an AR, Y button to display it, left trigger for target lock, right trigger to shoot.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2013, 12:05:16 pm »
I need to research online to see if an old video clip is available, but I remember watching a congressional hearing or somesuch, where the anti video game spokesunit testified - in total naive seriousness - that " First person shooter gamers are expert marksmen, and a huge threat to public safety".

'Kthxbye....gonna go rob a bank with my old dual shock pad.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.