Author Topic: A christian's view of athiests...pile on the strawmen  (Read 11001 times)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: A christian's view of athiests...pile on the strawmen
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 01:35:21 pm »
To be fair, Distind's wording was confusing. What he meant to say was that atheists don't hate believers*, nor do we hate god. We don't believe god exists and you can't really hate something you don't think it real.

* Well, some atheists do, but most don't.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 02:04:18 pm »
So this moron vanity searched for himself and found us eh?

Ironbite-how cute.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 02:53:55 pm »
To be fair, Distind's wording was confusing. What he meant to say was that atheists don't hate believers*, nor do we hate god. We don't believe god exists and you can't really hate something you don't think it real.

* Well, some atheists do, but most don't.

Yeah, well, maybe it was worded awkwardly, but I still knew what he meant as soon as I read it.  I still think AE's remark was nothing more than a smart-ass comeback.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »
I think I can end this thread with one example.

We don't hate God and we don't hate believers.  How do we know this? One of the greatest, most well-respected and liked members of this forum, Sandman.  I'm fairly sure that, besides the folks who ended up tasting shoe leather from the boot he put in their asses, everyone loved and adored him.  To us, Sandman was the forum's grandfather.  He just used a claymore if you REALLY ticked him off.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 07:08:03 pm »

We don't hate God and we don't hate believers.  How do we know this? One of the greatest, most well-respected and liked members of this forum, Sandman.  I'm fairly sure that, besides the folks who ended up tasting shoe leather from the boot he put in their asses, everyone loved and adored him.  To us, Sandman was the forum's grandfather.  He just used a claymore if you REALLY ticked him off.

"But he associated with you heathens, so he wasn't a True Christian (TM)!"

I think I threw up a little in my mouth typing that.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2013, 07:12:30 pm »

"But he associated with you heathens, so he wasn't a True Christian (TM)!"

I think I threw up a little in my mouth typing that.

I was about to post basically the same thing.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:42 am »
Let's apply the fundie "logic" that "atheists just pretend not to believe in god because they hate him" to other things.

You can't hate someone you don't believe actually exists.  Therefore, everyone who has read Game of Thrones or has watched the series believes that Joffrey is a real person if they hate him.

People only deny the existence of unicorns because they hate unicorns so much.  Seriously, unicorns are probably the most hated animal ever.  For that same reason, it's extremely hard to find anyone that believes wasps and mosquitoes are real.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
Let's apply the fundie "logic" that "atheists just pretend not to believe in god because they hate him" to other things.

You can't hate someone you don't believe actually exists.  Therefore, everyone who has read Game of Thrones or has watched the series believes that Joffrey is a real person if they hate him.

People only deny the existence of unicorns because they hate unicorns so much.  Seriously, unicorns are probably the most hated animal ever.  For that same reason, it's extremely hard to find anyone that believes wasps and mosquitoes are real.

Unicorns are h-h-hated?  *sob*

My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »

Yes. Go away.

If we want fantastical horse-like creatures we go for centaurs. At least they drink their booze like men.

Although, centaurs do have downsides as well.

a) They have no easy and casual way to use / not use pants.
b) Same problem with toilets.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 10:18:30 pm »

Yes. Go away.

If we want fantastical horse-like creatures we go for centaurs. At least they drink their booze like men.

You were saying?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 02:29:34 am »

Yes. Go away.

You were saying?

Like the caterpillar that turns into a butterfly, unicorns are the larval form of a centaur.  Alcohol facilitates that transformation.  Here we have a centaur about to be born.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 02:31:50 am »
Unfortunately, the alcohol was actually hot sauce.  So the unicorn transformed into a Rapidash instead.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 01:48:26 am »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 02:26:00 am »
Closer to the original topic:

I hate strawmen no matter who uses them. They prevent discussion and debate and stop any progress that might have come when debating the REAL topic.

And I admit that I have used them occasionally. Trying not to do that anymore.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!