Author Topic: Study shows conservatives biased against energy-efficient products  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
From the abstract: Political ideology affects energy-efficiency attitudes and choices

Abstract
This research demonstrates how promoting the environment can negatively affect adoption of energy efficiency in the United States because of the political polarization surrounding environmental issues. Study 1 demonstrated that more politically conservative individuals were less in favor of investment in energy-efficient technology than were those who were more politically liberal. This finding was driven primarily by the lessened psychological value that more conservative individuals placed on reducing carbon emissions. Study 2 showed that this difference has consequences: In a real-choice context, more conservative individuals were less likely to purchase a more expensive energy-efficient light bulb when it was labeled with an environmental message than when it was unlabeled. These results highlight the importance of taking into account psychological value-based considerations in the individual adoption of energy-efficient technology in the United States and beyond.

So...if a light bulb uses less electricity thereby saving you money you shouldn't use it or you'll catch evul librul germs.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
Re: Study shows conservatives biased against energy-efficient products
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 03:49:46 am »
Conservatives don't believe in change. They wouldn't even change their underwear if they didn't have to.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

wrightway

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:08 am »
They are the Pepsi challenge of people.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:42:16 pm »
I've been a total green tech geek since the eighties. So I cannot relate to people who are that bull headed, fearful of progress, and stupid about it to the point they are disgusted by a fucking light bulb, amongst other things. 

I've met quite a few such Luddites in my life. Their attitude and reality disconnect is, to me, so bad that I would lump it in a list of mental illnesses if I could.

*and I just stole your face palm emoti
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.